The Student Room Group

If everyone supported their local team...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tif49
Every team should support their local team anyway and the closest PL team they have.

How did this happen that people started supporting teams on the other side of the country? Glory seekers?

The number of Man U fans suggest it is all about glory.

Why just PL teams? What's wrong with supporting Leyton Orient or someone?
I did think it was slightly closer to norwich, but if you take into account what side of the town/city the football clubs are on then the difference probably means it depends what side of kings lynn you live in . . . not to be pedantic (especially to OP) but it also changes if you mean as the crow flies or the nearest by roads.
Original post by k9markiii

Birmingham is the 2nd largest city in the Uk and to my knowledge only has one professional football club.

Ahem, Birmingham City . . . Aston Villa . . .
Birmingham is the 2nd largest city in the Uk and to my knowledge only has one professional football club.

Aston Villa, Birmingham City...
Mancunian chap checking in.

It seems the natives here only desire to paint themselves red, despite living very much in Manchester City.

I'm sure it's nothing to do with the glory, of course... :wink:
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Aston Villa, Birmingham City...

Original post by Clare~Bear
Ahem, Birmingham City . . . Aston Villa . . .

Apologies, my limited knowledge of football means there are 3, Aston Villa, Birmingham City and West Brom. Still a lot less than London.
Original post by tif49
Every team should support their local team anyway and the closest PL team they have.

How did this happen that people started supporting teams on the other side of the country? Glory seekers?

Sometimes it's a case of glory hunting, but in many cases it's a little more complicated. For example, somebody might start off supporting their local club then end up moving away from the area with their family.

In my case, the first game I ever saw was Middlesboro Vs Crystal Palace (my dad is a Palace fan). Palace won, I felt sorry for Boro and consequently ended up supporting them (much to the annoyance of my dad). I've supported them ever since, even though I've lived in Devon my whole life. Whilst I don't support a local team, I don't think anybody can accuse me of being a glory supporter. :redface:
Original post by philistine
Mancunian chap checking in.

It seems the natives here only desire to paint themselves red, despite living very much in Manchester City.

I'm sure it's nothing to do with the glory, of course... :wink:

That's odd, my family up there tell me that nearly everyone supports City.
It's usually the Asians that support the big teams, trust.

The amount of Asians , well that I know of anyway, that support local teams is so miniscule.
All of them support either Man U or Liverpool with a few Arsenal.
Original post by KimKallstrom
Fair enough on your point, but Kings Lynn would be Peterborough.
Not in the same county. Norwich is far more local, in a community sense than Peterborough.
I wonder how well that would go down in Glasgow :tongue: :rolleyes:
Apologies, my limited knowledge of football means there are 3, Aston Villa, Birmingham City and West Brom. Still a lot less than London.

Not really, West Bromwich is a town/city just outside of Birmingham . . . Although depending on the scale of the map, they can look completely separate or mushed together as part of the West Midlands conurbation.
Original post by doggyfizzel
Not in the same county. Norwich is far more local, in a community sense than Peterborough.

So, places in north Suffolk are a lot nearer to Norwich than Ipswich . . . And places in North west suffolk are definately closer to Peterborough than Ipswich.
(edited 12 years ago)
So, places in north Suffolk are a lot nearer to Norwich than Ipswich . . . And places in North west suffolk are definately closer to Peterborough than Ipswich.

I come from Suffolk nowhere is close to anywhere else.
Point is no one from those areas would in anyway identify with Peterborough. The entire point of local is there is somekind of link, Peterborough is closer than Norwich, but Norwich is the local City. Dover is closer to Calis than London, distance is not always the key factor.
Plymouth would be up there, as would Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford, Cardiff.

Perhaps even Livingstone (although that's outside of FA...)
I come from Suffolk nowhere is close to anywhere else.

Howdy neighbour, you must be mark from across the field and over that big old mountain that must rise a whole 5m! It's a small world and I've heard lots about you. :tongue:
Original post by tif49

would rather watch united win on sky than pay to see villa lose live... it's more economical than glory hunting.
Reply 38
Original post by tif49

Maybe becuase they like the football that the team plays?

TV will show the best teams... Just imagine a kid watching football now... and he sees Messi tearing up a defence and scoring (imagine a kid watching the game where he scored 5, he's going to think Woah! that guy/that team is awesome, they're my favourite!!

So in my local area (I don't live in England, here for a week, people just support Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal etc. becuase of their history, playing style and the fact that they want to see a team with success/ winning trophies...
Original post by KimKallstrom
That's odd, my family up there tell me that nearly everyone supports City.

This is what I've been told too.

My local team are currently second from bottom of League Two. No idea what the closest Premier League team is.

Quick Reply

Latest