The Student Room Group

Access to Higher Education Diploma - Missing alot of days! Absent alot?

I've recently been missing excessive days..generally because i've been going to Universities and discussing my options but i guess thats another case - I tell my teachers or let them know if i'm gonna have to go.

But there is a couple of people who are doing the diploma and are absent and still come in 1 day a week without having a excuse - they have made it all the way up to now ' March '

Unlikely they would get kicked off? I mean what is your experiences and have you guys generally missed classes alot and got though the diploma?

My tutor just says its a adult course at the end of the day..People have constraints on their timing..
Reply 1
It is exactly the same on my course. Most people appear to show up as and when they choose. There are some people on the course who I have only seen maybe in 10 classes maximum since we started in September. At one point we thought one girl had dropped off as she hadn't been about for months and then she just appeared again. Another girl showed up for a couple of classes at the beginning and then didn't show up for months and then showed up for one class and then disappeared again for months and then showed up for an exam and then disappeared again so the most we see her is possibly once a month maximum.
Personally I don't understand it. If they havn't been kicked off if the course by now it is highly unlikely they will be kicked off at all. The tutors just don't seem bothered about the attendance it appears. I just don't understand how the people who are not attending will have learnt enough without being in the classes to pass the course. It also can't look to good to the universities if people constantly have low attendance but I suppose at the end of the day they are mature students so it is their own choice.
So far I have 100% attendance as I want to make sure that I learn as much as I can to get the best grades possible. I also think it is important to get into a good routine now in preparation for uni. I think everyone is different and has to make up their own minds on what they want to do but personally I do not understand why the colleges accept it when people have excessive amounts of time off.
Reply 2
Don't worry about other peoples attendance, it is not your problem and shouldn't affect your grades.

I think a minimum attendance rate is required to pass the course, plus if they hadn't been attending there's a good chance they've missed some units and won't get enough credits to pass anyway.

They won't be kicked off, they've paid their money for their place on the course, if they decide not to make the most of it then that is up to them.
Reply 3
Huh, weird. I didn't turn up to 2 core maths lessons (feeling as though they were a waste of my time because I already have GCSE maths) and I got an email from the deputy head of the access course saying I shouldn't let my attendance slip :s-smilie: Some people seem to get away with not going to core maths for months, though.
Reply 4
I was always of the view that you attendence had to be above 80% throughout the year taking in consideration if you were in college you reported it through the relevant channels.At our college we have certain absence protocols in place
Reply 5
Original post by wizardtop
I was always of the view that you attendence had to be above 80% throughout the year taking in consideration if you were in college you reported it through the relevant channels.At our college we have certain absence protocols in place

The 80% is encouraged at our college too, if someone knows they are going to be absent (eg for an interview) then the teacher usually puts something special in the register so it doesn't go on their record as absent.

The thing is if they started kicking people off the course who had paid in excess of £1k then they would have to give refunds and colleges can't afford to do that. Most people who are absent have reasons that they might not wish to make known to everybody but if they are keeping in touch with the teachers and keeping up with their work then they deserve their chance as much as anyone else. If they are not keeping in touch and can't keep up with work then it is only themselves that are really affected. Personally I like it now that lots of people miss lessons because our classes feel cozier and we get more teacher attention with only ten or twelve students instead of twenty. It certainly benefits me because the teacher has more time to answer my questions/help me.
Original post by Notorious123
I've recently been missing excessive days..generally because i've been going to Universities and discussing my options but i guess thats another case - I tell my teachers or let them know if i'm gonna have to go.

But there is a couple of people who are doing the diploma and are absent and still come in 1 day a week without having a excuse - they have made it all the way up to now ' March '

Unlikely they would get kicked off? I mean what is your experiences and have you guys generally missed classes alot and got though the diploma?

My tutor just says its a adult course at the end of the day..People have constraints on their timing..

On my Access course they do stupulate that you won't get your diploma if you fall below the standard percentage (which here is 90%).

But really the only time anyone gets kicked off is if they've had alot of absences and missed successive assignments (like, say, 15 credits worth in one go). Otherwise, for absences you're generally just given reminders, asked if everything's ok etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending