The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by kingsholmmad
If it's your taxes you're worried about, then get your finger out and start some sort of movement to get us out of Afghanistan which is much less justified and much more expensive.

I supported, and still do, the war in Afghanistan. I do not support us defending some minerally deficient pieces of rock thousands of miles away just because 2,000 people there (less than the population of my local village) want to remain British.
Considering the Falkland Islands are 600 km away from Argentina and 13,000 km away from Britain, I'm not surprised the Argentinians want back their 'Islas Malvinas'. Can you blame them?
Original post by funsongfactory
The people of the Falklands Islands are British and want to remain British, therefore Britain should defend them and keep them British.

Exactly, just as the people of Scotland want to be Scottish.
Original post by FrigidSymphony
Exactly, just as the people of Scotland want to be Scottish.

Except that over 90% of people in the Falkland Islands want to remain British, and less than 50% of people in Scotland want independence...
Except that over 90% of people in the Falkland Islands want to remain British, and less than 50% of people in Scotland want independence...

This.

The principle of national self-determination remains, nevertheless.

The numbers are rising exponentially, btw.

That's seriously debatable. You do know that the reason the government won't give the whole of the UK a referendum on Scottish independence, as it affects the whole nation, is because Scottish independence is more popular among the English than the Scots and they're worried we'll vote you out!
That's seriously debatable. You do know that the reason the government won't give the whole of the UK a referendum on Scottish independence, as it affects the whole nation, is because Scottish independence is more popular among the English than the Scots and they're worried we'll vote you out!

That's, uhm, bull****? Yeah, that sounds right. In any case, it may affect the whole nation, but it's Scotland's choice to make. Would you let the whole EU vote on whether the UK gets to leave? Wrong thread for the discussion, anyway.
Original post by Otkem
I supported, and still do, the war in Afghanistan. I do not support us defending some minerally deficient pieces of rock thousands of miles away just because 2,000 people there (less than the population of my local village) want to remain British.

Troll4.jpg

I see. So you're in favour of an unjustified war that has cost us 400+ lives and billions of pounds and which will end with the Afghans no safer and us just as much at risk from terrorism as we were at the start. However, you're against a justified defence of our own territory that is likely to provide significantly more in oil revenue than that defence will cost?

OK, I know when I've been trolled.

I sincerely doubt they're rising THAT fast.

Regardless. Yes the principle remains but it's a none issue until the majority of scots decide that's what they want.
That's, uhm, bull****? Yeah, that sounds right. In any case, it may affect the whole nation, but it's Scotland's choice to make. Would you let the whole EU vote on whether the UK gets to leave? Wrong thread for the discussion, anyway.

The EU is a supranational organisation, there is no legally binding referendum or mechanism that could be used to keep us in the union. We are a sovereign nation within a vague union. In any case most other nations would be happy to see us go as we are seen as an obstruction.

The UK is a sovereign state with a single sovereign constituency - comprised of the English, Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish.
Original post by kingsholmmad
Troll4.jpg

I see. So you're in favour of an unjustified war that has cost us 400+ lives and billions of pounds and which will end with the Afghans no safer and us just as much at risk from terrorism as we were at the start. However, you're against a justified defence of our own territory that is likely to provide significantly more in oil revenue than that defence will cost?

OK, I know when I've been trolled.

How is the war in Afghanistan unjustified?
Reply 112
It can't. The days of the red coats are over and if Argentina decides on a land invasion, Britain will not have a military option after 10 years spent on two protracted (and pointless) wars and the consequential loss of military moral and financial resources. Its only option would be concerted EU/UN sanctions on Argentina.
Original post by 2ndClass
It can't. The days of the red coats are over and if Argentina decides on a land invasion, Britain will not have a military option after 10 years spent on two protracted (and pointless) wars and the consequential loss of military moral and financial resources. Its only option would be concerted EU/UN sanctions on Argentina.

Britain have a agreement between France which allows each other to use some of each others military assets which includes their carrier I believe. We can also probably use the USA's though they would be reluctant to.

Britain has the military 'muscle' to defend the islands if necessary. It wouldn't be like last time seeing as this time the islands are very much defended. It's one of the reasons why Argentina are going to the UN about this as opposed to just plain invading again.

To get to the land the Argentines will have to go across the sea, or arguably the air, and Britain has supremacy in both those areas around the falklands.
(edited 12 years ago)
We should ignore them.

When a child has a tantrum over nothing to get attention you ignore them and eventually they give up and stop.

Same principle replies.
Reply 116
Arrest Messi when he comes to the Olympics.

The British garrison on the Islands is more than capable of seeing off any suprise Argentine invasion. And if it's not a suprise and they build up their forces, then we send in reinforcements and we still win.
Reply 118
Original post by pol pot noodles
The British garrison on the Islands is more than capable of seeing off any suprise Argentine invasion. And if it's not a suprise and they build up their forces, then we send in reinforcements and we still win.

This isn't the 1980s any more. The Argentine military is a much more equipped force than it was in 82. The country itself now has the financial resources to support a war effort as opposed to 2 decades ago. The geographical accessibility is much more favourable to Argentina and it would be a logistical nightmare to resupply the British army if the Argentines do indeed capture the Island given the regional hostility to what they perceive as imperialism.

Original post by limetang
Britain has the military 'muscle' to defend the islands if necessary. It wouldn't be like last time seeing as this time the islands are very much defended. It's one of the reasons why Argentina are going to the UN about this as opposed to just plain invading again.

To get to the land the Argentines will have to go across the sea, or arguably the air, and Britain has supremacy in both those areas around the falklands.

This is indeed true but that muscle takes a lot of resources to be flexed, something Britain doesn't have at the moment. Argentina itself has modernized its military exponentially over the last two decades and if it does enter into a conventional war with Britain, the toll both human and financial would be incredibly costly. Not only is the British public unwilling to send more soldiers into war, I don't think there is the political will to justify it hence the lack of sabre rattling from Britain. I don't even think the Argentine public would support Kirchner in a war.

Original post by Iqbal007
Britain have a agreement between France which allows each other to use some of each others military assets which includes their carrier I believe. We can also probably use the USA's though they would be reluctant to.

I don't think any of those countries would contribute militarily to Britain's war effort. The blow back would be far too great and will cost them several allies in the region. Hence why I believe Britain's only option would be a diplomatic solution.
(edited 12 years ago)

I don't think any of those countries would contribute militarily to Britain's war effort. The blow back would be far too great and will cost them several allies in the region. Hence why I believe Britain's only option would be a diplomatic solution.

Yeah, checked the agreement, its not to take effect till 2020, if it did, they would be at a major advantage.
In comparison though, Britain does have a much higher garrison of soldiers than before and in comparison to their Argentine counterparts are better trained and equipped.
It would be a test of quality vs quantity.

Latest

Trending

Trending