The Student Room Group

Did my 1st Skydive yesterday :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by cyfer
I'm currently doing my GCSEs. As soon as they finish I hit 16 so I can go skydiving!!!

Do I still get a discount? I'm still a student...

Thanks for the advice :smile:

not 100% sure to be honest, i think you need to book through a school/college/uni.

But you could also get a group of people and you would get a discount that way, usually 5 pounds per extra person I think :smile:
Original post by cyfer
Man I would love to go AFF but I think that as a student there would simply be no way for me to sustain the price required for further courses so one expensive course would just be a waste of money.

Static line is the way to go.

Thanks OP, I was thinking about skydiving but I just couldn't find the right places, I'm definitely going to go now during the summer! (just a bit daunted about the written exam after 6hrs... is it hard? I'm studious however I think the excitement/anxiety might throw me off)

as long as you concentrate throughout the day the test is very easy :smile:

it is multiple choice usually, but as soon as you see the question you'll know the answer.

One question I had was where would you land if the wind was blowing this way (diagram) I drew a circle where I would land and it was correct.

Just make sure you pay attention throughout as it could save your life.
Reply 41
Original post by cyfer
Thanks OP, I was thinking about skydiving but I just couldn't find the right places, I'm definitely going to go now during the summer! (just a bit daunted about the written exam after 6hrs... is it hard? I'm studious however I think the excitement/anxiety might throw me off)

lol my AFF "written exam" was a joke, it's just questions about what you've learned that day, should be easy to remember. They'll drill lots of facts into your head and numbers to remember. The instructor left the room and me and the other guy shared answers anyway, then he just ticked through them and was like "yea whatever good enough"

They aren't going to fail you or anything. If you genuinely don't know an answer then they'll probably just tell you.
Reply 42
Original post by NB_ide
lol my AFF "written exam" was a joke, it's just questions about what you've learned that day, should be easy to remember. They'll drill lots of facts into your head and numbers to remember. The instructor left the room and me and the other guy shared answers anyway, then he just ticked through them and was like "yea whatever good enough"

They aren't going to fail you or anything. If you genuinely don't know an answer then they'll probably just tell you.

That's great! Thank you for the help, I'll try to find some other people willing to go, but I doubt it as most people I know either have ridiculously protective mothers or are generally extremely scared :frown: Makes you feel sad for them as they are missing out on life.
E.g. I know one guy who cannot swim or ride a bike...
Reply 43
Huge tip for anyone who wants to learn: get some time in a wind-tunnel.

I haven't done this myself BUT I know others who have, and I can really see how it has helped them enormously (and they claim it did). In freefall you have **** all time to think at first and it's all just bat**** crazy - the sensory experience is overwhelming with the wind and noise and feel of the air on your body. Being used to that already will make your mid- to late-stage training a whole lot easier and you will breeze through the course.
Reply 44
did a tandem skydive from 10,000 feet
the best feeling ever
its like you can fly... it was beautiful and one of the most memorable moments of my life

its hard to describe what it actually felt like
but in one word AMAZING
Reply 45
Original post by Farwa
did a tandem skydive from 10,000 feet
the best feeling ever
its like you can fly... it was beautiful and one of the most memorable moments of my life

its hard to describe what it actually felt like
but in one word AMAZING

brilliant :smile:

Are you looking to jump again at some point?
Reply 46
Original post by tnajamie
brilliant :smile:

Are you looking to jump again at some point?

yup for sure i really did love it and will definitely go again but this time with some friends lol
Reply 47
If anyone else has done a skydive of any kind come here and share your experiences :smile:

My experience was awesome; I did a static line first jump course and then a jump on the same day.

I arrived so scared of heights that I could not look up to the sky, but as soon as I got in the plane my fear just disappeared. I can remember doing all my drills and checking the altimeter to see when to turn into the wind and everything. I also landed perfectly on my feet which I am very proud of.

It was the scariest yet most fulfilling thing that I have ever done. I am making this a weekend thing now, and am looking to progress on to freefall jumps at some point.

1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 SHARE :smile:

Wow! Congratulations!

:bumps:

I did a static line, so there was 6 hours of ground training + a jump all in one day for 150 quid.

The chute opens basically as soon as you leave the plane, so no freefall.

it is a solo jump, you are in the sky all on your own :smile:

The chute opens automatically or do you need to press something at a certain range?

Original post by Dandaman9999
I remember a previous thread you started about building confidence and getting a big thrill... Congrats on finally achieving this and I wish you all the best in your future sky dives :biggrin:

That's why he deserves a

:biggrin:
Original post by TLK
Wow nice and congrats :biggrin:
I've always wanted to skydive but never been able to since I've always been busy with college/school and I wouldn't know were to go :colondollar:
Were you attached to someone? or did you free fall yourself?
Also if you don't mind me asking was it expensive because I was told it is.

Stop making excuses. You have 112 days a year at least to do it. That's not including all the holidays you get. Also a quick google search will find you tons of results.

Mate seriously, I know it's not my life lol but c'mon if you really want to do it, type it into google, find a place, do a bit of research on it, pay and do it.
Reply 49
Original post by kka25
Wow! Congratulations!

The chute opens automatically or do you need to press something at a certain range?

That's why he deserves a

:biggrin:

Yes the chute opens automatically on a static line :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by Farwa
yup for sure i really did love it and will definitely go again but this time with some friends lol

yeah to be honest I had not really made any friends at all until I joined the skydiving club, I never would have went on my own. I have some friends now .. mainly just see them when I skydive but working on making them everyday friends if possible :smile:

Friends make the experience less scary and more fun :smile:
Reply 51
yeah to be honest I had not really made any friends at all until I joined the skydiving club, I never would have went on my own. I have some friends now .. mainly just see them when I skydive but working on making them everyday friends if possible :smile:

Did it hurt when you landed? How do you maneuver from left to right and vice versa once you're on air? lol I'm a total nOOb at this.
Reply 52
Original post by kka25
Did it hurt when you landed? How do you maneuver from left to right and vice versa once you're on air? lol I'm a total nOOb at this.

I landed very softly which I was proud of :smile:

You have some toggles - you pull the left toggle right down for a left turn and pull the right one down to turn right; Obviously looking out for other divers before you turn.
Reply 53

i did it on my own with a few other people that i didnt know i did it for a charity so yea
lol
but yes having friends around does make it less scary and more fun
Reply 54
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Stop making excuses. You have 112 days a year at least to do it. That's not including all the holidays you get. Also a quick google search will find you tons of results.

Mate seriously, I know it's not my life lol but c'mon if you really want to do it, type it into google, find a place, do a bit of research on it, pay and do it.

Troll harder plz
Reply 55
I am planning to go to the dropzone again this weekend :smile: Will work on progressing .. the next stage I believe is a 5 second freefall .. which can be done after 5 successful static line jumps :smile: So I best get cracking lol
Reply 56
I did a tandem last year from 15000ft, it was amazing! Hope to do AFF course next year:biggrin:
congratulations on not dying.
Reply 58
Original post by Ryan64
I did a tandem last year from 15000ft, it was amazing! Hope to do AFF course next year:biggrin:

Ahhh brilliant .. :smile: AFF looks awesome. I'm going to try and progress through the static line route.
Reply 59
Ahhh brilliant .. :smile: AFF looks awesome. I'm going to try and progress through the static line route.

What's the static line route?

Quick Reply

Latest