The Student Room Group

Help! I can't decide

Hi everybody :smile:

I am going to be a Psychology (BSc) student this year, but I can't decide between the Universities. I’m not from GB and can’t visit them or have any idea which one would be the best.

I've received offers from these Universities:

University of Stirling
University of Dundee
Edinburgh Napier University
(University of Glasgow) probably can’t fulfil the condition

Could you give me an advice? I love Edinburgh, it's a great city, but I think that the University of Dundee is the best of them (except Glasgow).

Thanks for your help
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Hello, I've applied for the same courses and a lot of the same unis, so I may of some help (If anything through empathy rather than knowledge).

I had the same dilemma between Glasgow and Dundee, they're both really good courses, so it came down to other factors. I ruled Stirling out fairly early because it's just not quite as good as the rest, and I think Napier is a little bit less prestigious than Dundee and Glasgow.

I've visited both and I preferred Dundee as a city and a uni, so I accepted my offer from there. It's also a whole bunch cheaper to live in than Glasgow.

Both are really nice though, so either way you'll be on a great course in a great city.

Hope that helped a little.
Reply 2
Original post by phoenix2703
Hi everybody :smile:

I am going to be a Psychology (BSc) student this year, but I can't decide between the Universities. I’m not from GB and can’t visit them or have any idea which one would be the best.

I've received offers from these Universities:

University of Stirling
University of Dundee
Edinburgh Napier University
(University of Glasgow) probably can’t fulfil the condition

Could you give me an advice? I love Edinburgh, it's a great city, but I think that the University of Dundee is the best of them (except Glasgow).

Thanks for your help

If i were you, I would put Glasgow as my firm and Dundee as my insurance!

Glasgow because overall reputation is far better.
Glasgow as a city is a lot nicer: more to do, more aesthetically pleasing; whereas Dundee is known as a bit of a $h*thole in Scotland. People who live there and study there would disagree and try stick up for it but it doesnt get the name Scumdee for nothing ha, never the less it has a fantastic university! so even if you missed out on your offer for Glasgow you would still be going to a very good uni :smile:

Go for Glasgow! (if you dont because you think you cant fufill the conditions and then you get your results through and surprise yourself you will be kicking yourself for ages) Good Luck!
Reply 3
You're right about Napier - it is a bit less prestigious than Glasgow or Dundee. Having said that, they're all good universities.

In terms of the respective cities, Edinburgh is probably the nicest but also the most expensive. Glasgow is still very pretty and there's plenty to do! It's also within travelling distance of Edinburgh. As far as I know there's not a lot to do in Dundee, although I've never been there so can't give an informed opinion.

I agree with kirsti - Glasgow seems like a good overall choice.

Quick Reply

Latest