The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bayern spanked City, who are probs going to win the league. Although I guess that just backs up how poor the PL apparently is. Yet Chelsea are 6th and in the CL final deservedly beating Barca. Determing the 'quality' of football as a whole is ridiculous. Most people will put a lack of goals down to poor attackers rather than exceptionally good defenders and so on.
Having powerlifting in the Olympics means they get lottery funding and takes it out of cowboys hands who decide if a squat is high or what equipment is acceptable etc.

But yes powerlifting is immensely boring and people want to see the best compete hence why an olympic final will have huge viewing audience and a regular meet won't. Asafa has broke 100m WR at crappy meets and no one cares, Bolt done it at the Olympics and everyone cared.

If you think athletes ducking each other doesn't effect sports you're clueless.

That Andy Bolton deadlift challenge everyone was excited over for a reason....even then they was squabbling over equipment.... not that it ever happened anyway. I will enjoy the Olympics this year when all the best turn up.
Reply 2062
I also don't get this 'poor prem' stuff. This season fair enough, teams have generally been poor. Chelsea have under-performed in the prem along with Man Utd and Arsenal. But usually, Prem has the best teams in the world.

Also in English football, Ronaldo and Messi wouldn't score 50+ goals.
The ipf having a raw division is helping out a lot since the ipf have pretty damn strict judging standards. Guys like malanichev help to make equipped lifting look like less of a joke. They aren't fighting or playing against each other so it doesn't matter whether or not the best were at a meet. If one lifter beats another lifters total in the same conditions then that lifter is better.

Dolega, Aramnau and Klokov are competing to find out who is the best heavyweight of this generation at the olympics but again, very few people seem to care.
But you will watch that weightlifting final and so.will.many randoms...you don't watch them lift on their own.

Powerlifting will never be popular I agree...but there is lots of boring sports in the Olympics that aren't popular, but they get funding and they get a TV slot every 4 years. Powerlifters get nothing.

Simple question.... who holds the squat record? When you give multiple answers, who has the best record and why?

If a regular person tried to look up this information they would be so confused....I reckon most people that watch WSM think they're natural.
The Premiership IS poor the season - there is no doubt about that.

City is going to win because of failures between the two sides - not because of success. They were 8 points ahead, then go 7 points behind (or whatever) and then get lucky and now are ahead again. But that was all because Man Utd failed, then Man City failed, then Man Utd failed.

OBVIOUSLY it's all relative - don't act smart by saying they are good. It's like saying Ronaldo is **** if he misses; obviously he isn't but at that point you say it.

Bayern are a good side but it's nothing special. I don't think they are the best. The best could only be determined by playing a million games and seeing who wins the most out of that. Luck plays a big role playing only once or twice to decide it.

Generally, though, football has been poor this year. Most sides are worse than last year.
On a completely unrelated note:

What do you for revision once you have made notes, read them a lot, done the past papers (very few available)?

Even with all that done I don't feel massively confident due to the nature of the module/lecturer but regardless. Never been in this situation before as A-levels always had a billion past papers to do.
Reply 2067
Original post by CB5

Also in English football, Ronaldo and Messi wouldn't score 50+ goals.

They might if they were playing in teams as good as they are in now. Admittedly, in the Prem's top two clubs I don't think they would. I don't care what anyone says about Chelsea beating Barca, that was a job well done but a lot was down to uncharacteristically poor finishing from Barca; however, over a 38 game season I am sure they wouldn't miss as many chances in such games, and I believe that Real and Barca would spank the Prem. Just look at how Chelsea approached the home game and they're currently the 6th best team.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AdaD
They might if they were playing in teams as good as they are in now. Admittedly, in the Prem's top two clubs I don't think they would. I don't care what anyone says about Chelsea beating Barca, that was a job well done but a lot was down to uncharacteristically poor finishing from Barca; however, over a 38 game season I am sure they wouldn't miss as many chances in such games, and I believe that Real and Barca would spank the Prem. Just look at how Chelsea approached the home game and they're currently the 6th best team.

If you put madrid and barca into the prem in place of wolves and blackburn, for a full season, messi and ronaldo would not score as many goals as they did in la liga this year
Original post by Arturo Bandini
If you put madrid and barca into the prem in place of wolves and blackburn, for a full season, messi and ronaldo would not score as many goals as they did in la liga this year

But that's an illogical way of looking at it. Barca and Madrid are our Utd and City. Put them in place of Utd and City, not Wolves and Blackburn...

For the record, I agree with you, but what you said didn't make sense.
Original post by tommy1311
But that's an illogical way of looking at it. Barca and Madrid are our Utd and City. Put them in place of Utd and City, not Wolves and Blackburn...

For the record, I agree with you, but what you said didn't make sense.

fair point.

do that then, and they still don't score as many.
Reply 2071

I meant if they were in the best two teams, ie. their current teams, in place of Man Utd and Man City. With the extra 4 games against Wolves and Blackburn, rather than Utd and City, I reckon they'd get close.

That said, I haven't watched enough La Liga to know how the lower clubs play and how good/bad they are. Could do with a La Liga version of MOTD to keep me up to speed!
Reply 2072
fair point.

do that then, and they still don't score as many.

How close do you think they'd get? Are we talking within 5-10 so somewhere between 40-50, or do you think they'd get 30-35? Bear in mind that Van Persie has 30 in a much weaker than usual Arsenal side.

All that said, as the Messi/Barca haters will remind us all, Messi has never scored in England, therefore he'd get, maybe, 10 goals given that he'd have 38 games to do so.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AdaD
I meant if they were in the best two teams, ie. their current teams, in place of Man Utd and Man City. With the extra 4 games against Wolves and Blackburn, rather than Utd and City, I reckon they'd get close.

That said, I haven't watched enough La Liga to know how the lower clubs play and how good/bad they are. Could do with a La Liga version of MOTD to keep me up to speed!

yeah still if they were in place of united and city they wouldn't.

The quality of la liga across the board is not as high as the prem, especially the defending.
Original post by AdaD
How close do you think they'd get? Are we talking within 5-10 so somewhere between 40-50, or do you think they'd get 30-35? Bear in mind that Van Persie has 30 in a much weaker than usual Arsenal side.

Probably between 30 and 40 (obviously it's VERY hard to guess that).

The style of play is so different, you saw how barca struggled against chelsea when they went into defending mode. All the prem teams would do that. And the lower half teams would ALL just play very defensive, counter attacking, route one football against them, which the lower half teams of la liga don't do (they always try to play from the back) which is why they can rack up 5-0 wins so regularly.

having said all that, I'm sure barca and madrid would adapt to our style of play if they played against it week in week out. So it's all pretty speculative anyway.

Although, remember that amazing season Ronaldo had at united, when they were still a very good team and preceeded his 80mil move? He got 31 goals in the league that year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Even being the best league an English team has only won the CL twice in the past, at least, 10 years.
Reply 2076
Probably between 30 and 40 (obviously it's VERY hard to guess that).

The style of play is so different, you saw how barca struggled against chelsea when they went into defending mode. All the prem teams would do that. And the lower half teams would ALL just play very defensive, counter attacking, route one football against them, which the lower half teams of la liga don't do (they always try to play from the back) which is why they can rack up 5-0 wins so regularly.

having said all that, I'm sure barca and madrid would adapt to our style of play if they played against it week in week out. So it's all pretty speculative anyway.

Although, remember that amazing season Ronaldo had at united, when they were still a very good team and preceeded his 80mil move? He got 31 goals in league.

Yeah, fair points. As I said, I've not seen anywhere near enough la liga to make an informed judgement. I'm going to backtrack and agree as 50 goals is a bit insane/a potential one off, and is a fair few more than previous seasons; have the other teams got worse + messi/ronaldo got better, either/or etc.

So yeah, I didn't think it through. I think they'd hand out their fair share of spankings at home so probably 36-40. 34 is the highest ever in the Prem so perhaps I jumped on the bandwagon without enough thought.
Yeah la liga is not as high a standard as the prem across the board like I said.

Plus, it's slow and boring. You're not missing anything.
Original post by Michael XYZ
Even being the best league an English team has only won the CL twice in the past, at least, 10 years.

It's a knockout tournament so there's always gonna be luck involved. That supports your earlier argument about chelsea and bayern being in the final but not being the best in Europe.

Anyway I don't think anyone's disputing the fact that Barca are the best team on the continent, and that's why if we take the last ten years of champs league winners nationalities, Spain have won 4, (to Italy's 3, England's 2 and Portugal's 1).

I bet if you counted the 40 teams in the semis over the same period (I cba myself) England would be on top. Because the premier league as a whole has a higher quality, and that's what makes it the best league. Every other league is much more dominated by one or two teams, and then a bunch of mediocrity.
Reply 2079

I bet if you counted the 40 teams in the semis over the same period (I cba myself) England would be on top. Because the premier league as a whole has a higher quality, and that's what makes it the best league. Every other league is much more dominated by one or two teams, and then a bunch of mediocrity.

Annoyingly I now want to know know this stat! Don't think I'm sad enough to check it out, though. That said, I am currently searching for jobs and revising for an audit exam so it might actually be the most satisfying of the three tasks!

Latest