The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Gallium if you want to actually cure your atp stop squatting and hamstring curl more.

I'm only going to squat again when I've truly nailed RDL form so I have an actual ham exercise. Also aim is to curl the stack with each leg.

Then again idc if I have shoddy squat numbers so 2-3 months without squatting is fine by me.
Original post by JasonTerryIsMyHero
Gallium if you want to actually cure your atp stop squatting and hamstring curl more.

I'm only going to squat again when I've truly nailed RDL form so I have an actual ham exercise. Also aim is to curl the stack with each leg.

Then again idc if I have shoddy squat numbers so 2-3 months without squatting is fine by me.

if i recall correctly jim wendler stated that was stupid! why stop doing major compound movement? squats work the hamstrings to. all you have to do is hit your weak points harder and stretch more.

thats like saying don't do bench press as your posterior delts are weak, infact you would just do my posterior delt/back work to fix it
Depends whether you want to train it for size more or strength. I'm doing it more for strength and so I feel doing some good numbers help many things - whole posterior chain AND grip! I have a weak grip so that's nice.

If I did it light and went for a stretch in hammies then I'd feel it there more BUT I wouldn't get the same feeling in lower back and glutes. As I said, I try hump the air/bar so my glutes and lower back are very involved.

Also hamstring curls are good. Forget that they only work a part of your hammies. Many great lifters back in the day used them. GHR is good but remember people got strong before the invention of the GHR.
Sure
[video="youtube;GvZiOfbMNcY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvZiOfbMNcY[/video]
Original post by Michael XYZ
Depends whether you want to train it for size more or strength. I'm doing it more for strength and so I feel doing some good numbers help many things - whole posterior chain AND grip! I have a weak grip so that's nice.

If I did it light and went for a stretch in hammies then I'd feel it there more BUT I wouldn't get the same feeling in lower back and glutes. As I said, I try hump the air/bar so my glutes and lower back are very involved.

Also hamstring curls are good. Forget that they only work a part of your hammies. Many great lifters back in the day used them. GHR is good but remember people got strong before the invention of the GHR.

i do them slow on the eccentric and explode up feel it a load on my lowerback and hammies to an extent, my glutes are already massive lol so don't need much work, i think reverse hypers are excellent for them tho.

might just blast the assistance work on friday making it a long ass 2 hour workout, shouldn't effect recovery as i have like 2 days off.
Original post by McHumpy92
Kind of been riding it intensely....I kind of feel obliged too when on the roads. Plus it is fixed wheel and up hills are a constant slug.

Sprinting has no effect on squats, I don't think riding for 20mins is good for my fast twitch fibres either....but it is so cheap and effective way to travel.

Clarence0 rides a bicycle to the gym and he's pretty strong :P?

Surely just ride slower or get a bike with gears, or ur body will probably adapt in the long run. Chris Hoy has decent legs/squat power - I think riding is actually good for size /broscience.
Original post by Gallium
i do them slow on the eccentric and explode up feel it a load on my lowerback and hammies to an extent, my glutes are already massive lol so don't need much work, i think reverse hypers are excellent for them tho.

might just blast the assistance work on friday making it a long ass 2 hour workout, shouldn't effect recovery as i have like 2 days off.

Honestly man I think its just a form issue. Maybe its a strength flexibility issue - no power in certain positions?

Here is me playing around with 60kg couple years ago when I was DL'ing a lot less.

Is this the form rip teaches - I don't read any of his material anymore/cba to find it.

Hips hinge back, slide bar down thighs till hams are stretched then bends knees tiny bit to allow lower back to stay arched, go to the floor. Then pull with hams and **** the bar as it passes knees?

Original post by redbuthotter
Clarence0 rides a bicycle to the gym and he's pretty strong :P?

Surely just ride slower or get a bike with gears, or ur body will probably adapt in the long run. Chris Hoy has decent legs/squat power - I think riding is actually good for size /broscience.

He's a sprinter though. 20 minutes isn't really a sprint.
Honestly man I think its just a form issue. Maybe its a strength flexibility issue - no power in certain positions?

Here is me playing around with 60kg couple years ago when I was DL'ing a lot less.

Is this the form rip teaches - I don't read any of his material anymore/cba to find it.

Hips hinge back, slide bar down thighs till hams are stretched then bends knees tiny bit to allow lower back to stay arched, go to the floor. Then pull with hams and **** the bar as it passes knees?

yeah similar to that, except i push my hips wayy back! like by the time the bar reaches my shins my hamstrings are fully stretched so my torso doesn't really move that much. whatever it is something is going wrong, some sort of imbalances.; just need to find out what specifically.

edit: you have a greater ROM then me, by the time the bar is just below my knee caps i'm in full flexion.
(edited 11 years ago)

lol massive unaware

brb training 40 seconds ery day and then winning olympic gold.

Sir chris hoy rides in excess of two hours per day (no bs I train at manchester velodrome where he does / used to).

He obviously does a fair share of distance, volume, endurance and high intensity work.

McH just needs to build work capacity or cycle slower lol.
Original post by Gallium
yeah similar to that, except i push my hips wayy back! like by the time the bar reaches my shins my hamstrings are fully stretched so my torso doesn't really move that much. whatever it is something is going wrong, some sort of imbalances.; just need to find out what specifically.

edit: you have a greater ROM then me, by the time the bar is just below my knee caps i'm in full flexion.

How flexible are your hamstrings. Can you touch your toes? (inb4 thats a back et al flexibility test). I think its just flexibility tbh, at the bottom its easy for me to get there (when slight knee bend), just gotta work on getting specific strength flexibility. Like for sumos if your hips are tight or abductors are weak in a stretched position then you have no power.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess your flexibility isn't brilliant.
How flexible are your hamstrings. Can you touch your toes? (inb4 thats a back et al flexibility test). I think its just flexibility tbh, at the bottom its easy for me to get there (when slight knee bend), just gotta work on getting specific strength flexibility. Like for sumos if your hips are tight or abductors are weak in a stretched position then you have no power.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess your flexibility isn't brilliant.

lol i can put my whole palm on the floor with knees locked, my flexiblity in my hams has gone up recently.

so that makes me think lengthend hams but weak?
Original post by Gallium
lol i can put my whole palm on the floor with knees locked, my flexiblity in my hams has gone up recently.

so that makes me think lengthend hams but weak?

Thats weird then. Why is your rom cut short if you have good flexibility? Its possible they're weak, just find 50kg x 10 for workset at your strength level weird. Meh its possible though I suppose.
Thats weird then. Why is your rom cut short if you have good flexibility? Its possible they're weak, just find 50kg x 10 for workset at your strength level weird. Meh its possible though I suppose.

WILL take vids of me doing rdls/squats, tbf if it is weak hamstrings which i think it is ( piss weak rdl, 4th stack on leg curl lol) and i strengthen them it should hlp my lifts a bit
I can't even touch my shins.... nice tort hamstrings not slinky ones.
Junior Smolov for bench pressing.

Thoughts?
with benching I would just work on speed and weaknesses personally
back from band camp, lawdy lawdy.
Bitches don't know about my new shaker with a metal ball inside!

Had same shaker for 2 years; nice to change.

Latest