The Student Room Group

Stuff that annoys you in the gym

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180

Original post by u4m1r
Reported for racism

But some of my best friends are freshies!
I hate the guys who stand in front of the mirror in the free-weights area and check themselves out. This one guy even started lifting up his shirt while I was on the bike machine...:erm: Keep it to yourself..
the girls that STILL look good when theyre working out.

And i look a bright red puffball of sweat...
Reply 184
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I thought building up muscle would raise your metabolic rate, thus burning more calories and making you lose weight faster????

True, but that alone will not burn the fat if your diet is ****ed
Reply 185
Original post by bax121

Also the instructors sometimes vacuum during the quieter times which gives the sensation of an obstacle that will trip you when running on the treadmill looking in the mirror.

Oh wow. That's terrible stuff, I really feel for you.
Reply 186
Not really an annoyance but...

- women who work out in full make up - the gym I used to go to in London, one used to wear false eyelashes...really? :rolleyes: (edit: I don't mean the "I've literally just come from work" kind, it's more the "I'm just about to go out clubbing type")

- People that wear Tom's to work out...WHY?! :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 187
Original post by iSMark
Oh wow. That's terrible stuff, I really feel for you.

Not as terrible as 1/4 squats, my friend. :wink:
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I thought building up muscle would raise your metabolic rate, thus burning more calories and making you lose weight faster????

I mean the people who think that fat can simply be turned straight into muscle. Rather than realising that the fat wont become muscle, they'll just need to work on the muscle below and lose the fat around it. I mean fat is fat, not muscle at all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jennifex
Why? Your workout doesn't take priority over somebody else's just because it's more intense. They're paying to be there as well.

I think the key phrase here is "whilst reading a book". TBH that is marginally a piss-take and even I would get slightly angry (I say I because I normally don't really care what people do in the gym and am generally a fairly lenient person). I'm all for people "going easy" for whatever personal reasons/desires they might have but at the end of the day the gym is a designated excercise zone and whilst i wouldn't care if someone was reading a book whilst on a machine if there were spare machines, it would really annoy me if i had to wait for a machine whilst someone was reading a book on one. You can't within reason read a book comfortably whilst doing excercise- theres far too much bopping up and down for that. The only machines i could see it being remotely possible to do on would be a cross-walker or bike machine and even then it would be bloody uncomfortable- so go read that damn book somewhere else.
Reply 190
But if you did HIIT you would burn a good amount of kcal in less than half the time. And then you would have more time to read the slides.

Sorry but reading and exercising (effectively) doesn't seem like it would work very well.
You're not training hard enough if you can concentrate on anything other than how much your legs are burning right now.

gnomesaiyan?
Don't you think an hour on a tradmill is bit overkill? You'd maximise training as others have said doing High intensity for about 20 minutes as opposed to an hour jogging, and likely sweat a lot more. I believe if you can multi-task while training you're not working to your full potential, I'm sure many others will agree.
Like Jenna Marbles once said - you set your elliptical level to like 7-10, so you go very slowly and almost dying there, and all those girls around you are on level one giving you the look 'wtf I'm so much fitter than that girl, look at how fast I can go!'
jeez, every time.
When I got to this bit I just read "I do my routine because it's easy for me.."
Reply 195
People that approach you and offer advice that is broscience.
doing it wrong.
The way that makes you walk like a relapsing MS patient for the subsequent hours after your workout.
It mostly just irritates me when they play bad music in the gym that is loud enough to hear over headphones :/
Reply 199
All you need to do is find a comfortable speed at which you can sprint for 1 whole minute. And you can increase it workout-to-workout. It doesn't necessarily have to be considered "fast", it just has to have you in pain by the last 10-20 seconds.

Quick Reply

Latest