The Student Room Group

Greggs or Sainsburys?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jellybean_
Darn :tongue: Hopefully my experience at Greggs is better than yours. Do you mind me asking what shop you are at, or ar least the region it's in?

I work at Greggs and have covered in 5 other shops in the area and all have lovely staff. Must just be really unlucky to have a **** shop.

And again depending on your shop but there is usually lots of overtime available. As im only a part time student now until september, i'm on an 8 hour weekend contract but doing around 25-35 hours a week.

Hope you have fun at Greggs!
steal greggs bakery goods.
Reply 22
Original post by Alans Amp
I work at Greggs and have covered in 5 other shops in the area and all have lovely staff. Must just be really unlucky to have a **** shop.

And again depending on your shop but there is usually lots of overtime available. As im only a part time student now until september, i'm on an 8 hour weekend contract but doing around 25-35 hours a week.

Hope you have fun at Greggs!

It's good to know that someone enjoys working there, instead of the scary experiences some people have :tongue: Your region sounds nice, hopefully mine will be too :biggrin: Thank you
I work at Greggs and I can honestly say it is an amazing place to work! :biggrin:
I would've recommend Sainsbury's. Ok, my experience there wasn't brilliant - but the pay / holidays / overtime was good and it was a decent first job. :smile:
Reply 25
I have to pay my wages to the taxman.
Reply 26
Original post by inksplodge
I would've recommend Sainsbury's. Ok, my experience there wasn't brilliant - but the pay / holidays / overtime was good and it was a decent first job. :smile:

Sainsburys does sound fab. I probably would have accepted if it were closer. However thanks for the reply, its good to know they are a good company to work for in case I need more work in the future :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Dekota-XS
I have to pay my wages to the taxman.

Thankfully I'm free from being taxed til July. Then I will probably cry when I see my first pay check with tax deductions.
Well done (:
I've been rejected by both sainsburys and greggs a few times in the past couple of months aha, McDonalds it is for me :p:
I'd go for Greggs if I were you, although I guess it depends how much money you need.

Edit: Bit late
(edited 12 years ago)
Darn :tongue: Hopefully my experience at Greggs is better than yours. Do you mind me asking what shop you are at, or ar least the region it's in?

Spoiler

Rota regularly not done until thursday/friday when the week starts on a sunday and some weeks I've been given less than contract hours! There's talk of cutting back on hours but surely they can't give me less than contract :/
Original post by aleathiel

Spoiler

Rota regularly not done until thursday/friday when the week starts on a sunday and some weeks I've been given less than contract hours! There's talk of cutting back on hours but surely they can't give me less than contract :/

I'm contracted for 4 hours and next week I'll be doing 23. -.- Still lovin' Greggs though. :smile:
Original post by Holby_fanatic
I'm contracted for 4 hours and next week I'll be doing 23. -.- Still lovin' Greggs though. :smile:

Wow lucky! Area manager won't let people on 15 hour contracts go up and despite telling them I'm struggling, I sometimes get less than my 15 hours :colondollar: Have to find something else really soon :s-smilie:
Reply 32
Wow lucky! Area manager won't let people on 15 hour contracts go up and despite telling them I'm struggling, I sometimes get less than my 15 hours :colondollar: Have to find something else really soon :s-smilie:

You seem really unlucky, I'm contracted 6 and tend to do about 20, with the scope for doing more if it wasn't exam time. I'm reasonably sure they can't go under your contracted hours though (although I have no idea what you can do if they just do it anyway though)
---
I would generally recommend Greggs, I've only been there about 2 months but everything's been so organised so far, and everyone's nice. Plus internal applications are fairly easy as far as I can see, so when you go to uni there's a good chance of getting a place there. Hope you enjoy it :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by conway!
You seem really unlucky, I'm contracted 6 and tend to do about 20, with the scope for doing more if it wasn't exam time. I'm reasonably sure they can't go under your contracted hours though (although I have no idea what you can do if they just do it anyway though)
---
I would generally recommend Greggs, I've only been there about 2 months but everything's been so organised so far, and everyone's nice. Plus internal applications are fairly easy as far as I can see, so when you go to uni there's a good chance of getting a place there. Hope you enjoy it :smile:

Thank you :redface: Enjoying it so far. It is damn hard work though, and there have been times when I just wanted to sit in a corner and rock back and forth :tongue: haha
Ive worked in both company's and Greggs is much more friendly , my experiences of Sainsburys was lack of communication between management and the workers and impossible targets. however greggs where i have worked for almost a year now and worked in 3 different stores and there all great, hard work but great fun with a good team! , only downside would be is that on close shifts you have to do all the cleaning which is not fun! , and you not aloud to take home the leftovers at end of day:frown:. But Greggs is 4 hours a week and for an 18 year old that money doesn't go far!
Reply 35
Original post by Alans Amp
x

x

x

Original post by conway!
x

x

Hi everyone, can I just ask how the pay works? As far as I'm aware it's weekly and on Thursday but I haven't been paid for the 18 hours I've worked so far. Is it later in the day or something? I was all excited since it'd be my first ever wages :c
Reply 36
Original post by Henwin
Hi everyone, can I just ask how the pay works? As far as I'm aware it's weekly and on Thursday but I haven't been paid for the 18 hours I've worked so far. Is it later in the day or something? I was all excited since it'd be my first ever wages :c

I didn't get paid either. This happened the last time there was a bank holiday, for some reason you seem to be paid on Fridays if Monday was a bank holiday.
You should get it tomorrow :smile: They seem to be unbelievably organised as well, I got paid on the Thursday when I'd had my first ever shift on Saturday (and had only handed my bank details in that day), I was impressed!
Reply 37
Original post by conway!
I didn't get paid either. This happened the last time there was a bank holiday, for some reason you seem to be paid on Fridays if Monday was a bank holiday.
You should get it tomorrow :smile: They seem to be unbelievably organised as well, I got paid on the Thursday when I'd had my first ever shift on Saturday (and had only handed my bank details in that day), I was impressed!

Oh thanks! That's such a relief. I was worried I'd put my bank details in wrong or something like that.
Original post by Henwin

If there is ever a bank holiday, you get paid on the Friday instead. :smile:
Reply 39
If there is ever a bank holiday, you get paid on the Friday instead. :smile:

This is a bit specific, but do you know what time it goes in? First wages and all, bit lame but I'd quite like to see it go in today - if it's like 4am I'll have to give up and go to bed though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending