The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Jely1945
Hi, sorry I'm new here, someone pointed me to this thread as I'm going to aber in september. :smile:

Was looking at accommodation, thinking of cwrt mawr (is that how you spell it? argh gotta get used to these welsh words) and I was wondering what it's like? I prefer it because it has a bar, how does that effect the halls? is it still possible to get to sleep when you have to, or is it massively loud?

thanks! :smile:

if you, like me have this thought that cwrt mawr was one big block and the bar was on the bottom floor its not like that haha, theres about 13 cwrt mawr blocks, with 40 something students in each block. cwrt mawr blocks are alot smaller than the rosser and treflyone ones but theres more cwrt mawr :biggrin:, the bar in a different building, its alright for a few drinks before union but i dont go there any other time.

on a side note im writing this covered in paint :biggrin: because aber is just amazing like that ha
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by scottie b
could be possible that she has a unconditonal offer and can do all the accommodation stuff first?
#

No I doubt it, I have an unconditional offer and thats how it was for me and everyone else I have seen that has applied for the accommodation be it a conditional or unconditional offer! I saw somewhere, I think it was on the aber accommodation page on facebook that this is the new system for applying for accommodation now! :smile:
Reply 82
could be possible that she has a unconditonal offer and can do all the accommodation stuff first?

I've got an unconditinal and have already done the accommodation, and as Draig Goch says, you cannot chose specific halls.

An announcement was also made on TSR and the Accomodation office Facebook page :frown:
Reply 83
i hate that cks worker! she just throws ur change at you and doesnt believe my id!

She obviously hates us - why does she work somewhere that most of the customers are non-welsh students??
Reply 84
Original post by megan.c
She obviously hates us - why does she work somewhere that most of the customers are non-welsh students??

maybe shes just jealous that we have so much fun and her life i crap :biggrin:
Reply 85
Agreed!
Reply 86
yeah I just applied for accommodation too, but like you guys said you can only choose the type of accommodation. well that's annoying..
Reply 87
Original post by Jely1945
yeah I just applied for accommodation too, but like you guys said you can only choose the type of accommodation. well that's annoying..

At least it means that hopefully more people will get the type of room they want. :tongue:
Reply 88
Original post by megan.c
Oh you have a horse? That's so cool! Guessing you'll be doing Equine or am I just generalising? :')

Nope not doing equine, have opted for life sciences and then to go onto agriculture and animal science :-) that is unless Aber decide to bring in a joint equine degree with agriculture and then I will be happy :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 89

No even with people with unconditionals dont get to chose what halls we want, only what type of room, but according to the accomadation department, unconditionals are more likely to get a higher choice of accomadation so pretty much more likely to get their 1st or 2nd choice
Reply 90
Original post by gridlock
At least it means that hopefully more people will get the type of room they want. :tongue:

I don't mean to be rude, but I wouldn't count on that at all.
Vast majority of people with conditional offers don't get the halls or even the type of room they want
Reply 91
Original post by megan.c
I don't mean to be rude, but I wouldn't count on that at all.
Vast majority of people with conditional offers don't get the halls or even the type of room they want

unless your lucky like me :biggrin:
but even if u do get the halls you want dont expect them to look/be what you expect, as i didnt have sofas :frown:
Reply 92
hello everyone i am a first year at aber and wondered if anyone has any questions they want answering? something maybe only a student can answer? anything about halls or the people

ask away! :smile:

Hello, I am in my last year of highschool and I am willing to come to Aberystwyth university as I have already been accepted with some conditions. I will hopefully join the Media & Communication Studies course and I was wondering if you could give me some fair answers regarding the accommodation. I am not so familiar with the following terms so I shall ask you what's all about :biggrin: So please do not laugh at me and I hope you will help me ^_^

1. What are bunk rooms? En-suit rooms and budget single rooms? How many people can stay in each?
2. How much does each cost per month?
3. Do we have internet and stuff included in price?
4. What about the transport? Which is the closest campus to the university?
5. Is there any way we can instant message? I mean does the forum have any instant messaging system or is there any way we can talk over IM such as skype or msn or yahoo? I'd really be helpful.

I might come up with more questions, I hope this will not be a problem! Thank you in advance and I hope I will hear from you soon! Have a nice day..or night or whatever :biggrin:

Andi
Reply 93
Original post by AndiD
Hello, I am in my last year of highschool and I am willing to come to Aberystwyth university as I have already been accepted with some conditions. I will hopefully join the Media & Communication Studies course and I was wondering if you could give me some fair answers regarding the accommodation. I am not so familiar with the following terms so I shall ask you what's all about :biggrin: So please do not laugh at me and I hope you will help me ^_^

1. What are bunk rooms? En-suit rooms and budget single rooms? How many people can stay in each?
5. Is there any way we can instant message? I mean does the forum have any instant messaging system or is there any way we can talk over IM such as skype or msn or yahoo? I'd really be helpful.

I might come up with more questions, I hope this will not be a problem! Thank you in advance and I hope I will hear from you soon! Have a nice day..or night or whatever :biggrin:

Andi

Go check out the Aber webpage and the accomodation page, it's all there. Might take some investigating, but it's quite clear.
Bunks are with bunk beds, obviously :biggrin:, for two people. En-suite means you will have your own bathroom and shower in your room. I think someone said that budget is the one without on site loundry.
You can't pay monthly, but go chek out the accomodation page and Find the price table there. There is a thread here for which hallis have fiwi, most do and all have internet. You can't go to uni without internet.
Aber has a campus.
And all that I have learned from the Aber page and reading this forum. I advise you do the same.
Reply 94
Original post by AndiD

Andi

1. well bunk rooms are rooms that are the size for 1 person but has a bunkbed in them, so it can get a little crowded.. ensuit is a room with a shower and loo in them, but this makes your room a little smaller and is only for 1 person,

2. well totally depends on what accomendation you want, normally cwrt mawr is the cheapest, but if you get a bunk room you get some sort of discount making it even cheaper. i dont have the figures for this years rent sorry :smile:

3.yes internet and all bills are in the halls prices, which makes them very good
4.closest campus?...... the uni is the campus, but if your talking which halls is closest to the campus then i could say treflyone rosser and cwrt mawr as they are on campus, pjm is a few min walk away, but town and seafront residences are 15 min walk away in town,
5. well you could always add me on facebook :smile: same name scottie bush
Original post by AndiD

Andi

Hi, as a former bunker, I can give you are bit of info on them :smile: They are essentially single rooms, with the original single bed taken out and replaced with a bunk bed. As far as I'm aware, they were metal frames only, so could get a little bit squeaky! These were introduced to accommodate the ever increasing amount of students the Uni accepted, particularly last year due to it being the last year before the fees increased, so there was a mad rush to get a place in the Uni. Last year, there were 400 extra students so bunking was enforced (sucks I know). It is highly unlikely they will be enforced this year, as with the fee increase there are much less students applying. If, however you do end up in one, I wouldn't worry about it; firstly, all the bunkers I knew of got on really well with their bunk mate, as for mine, we became best friends! Secondly, it wasn't long before one of us was allocated a single room. Thirdly, you get reduced weekly room rates (mine went from £88 a week to about £55), plus they give you £15 a week free, to spend on food in the Uni restaurants etc. :biggrin:
I was in the Seafront accommodation, so the rooms were actually a decent size and we had a desk and large window ledge, which doubled up as an extra desk.

Also available were twin rooms, specifically built to accommodate two single beds (essentially two single rooms without the wall inbetween). These were far more spacious and included two desks, wardrobes etc.

En-suite rooms are available only in Rosser Halls and in Alexandra Halls on the seafront. Rosser, however, is the only accomodation that is 100% ensuite in every room, Alex Halls only has a small number of en-suite rooms available. The ensuite rooms in Rosser are quite small, probably the smallest rooms available out of all the accommodation, due to the en-suite, consisting of a toilet, sink and shower. They are also about £20 pounds more expensive than the non en-suite rooms available (weekly rate), so whereas the other rooms were about £88 per week (2011-2012), Rosser rooms were around about £108 or so a week.

The cheapest rooms are considered to be those in Cwrt Mawr; even though they are the same weekly cost as the other single rooms, they are generally considered better value for money, as the have a sink facility in the room and the kitchens are huge! I think they were about £88 a week this year. I don't think bunk rooms were installed in Cwrt Mawr, but twin rooms are available I believe.

Yes, internet is included in the price, as well as water, gas, heating etc. You have to connect to the University's own network, which is fairly easy and you can get help for this in your first week.

There are three campuses; Penglais Campus is the main campus, kind of like the heart of the University, as it's where pretty much everything is located. From the University library, to the Students Union, most academic buildings and most accommodation, its located here. The Media and Communications course takes place on Penglais :smile: There's also the Llanbadarn campus about a 5 minute drive/ 20 minute walk from Penglais campus; this is where courses such as Equine science, Zoology and a few other subjects are taught. There was actually student accommodation based here, but they knocked it down years ago.
The Goggerdan campus is pretty much in Penglais Campus and located here is the new Institute for Biological, Environmental and Rural sciences. About a 20 minute walk from Penglais campus, into the town centre, is the School of Art.

As for transport, the University has its own bus service, which is a double decker :smile: Arriva Wales provides buses that travel to all the campuses and into town. If you have a car, the University offers some car parking spaces outside some of the accommodation but it costs. There are train links from Aber to major cities in the UK etc.

"5. Is there any way we can instant message? I mean does the forum have any instant messaging system or is there any way we can talk over IM such as skype or msn or yahoo? I'd really be helpful."
In regards to this question, I'm not sure to be honest with you :smile:
Reply 96
Not sure if this question has been asked, or if you will know the answer, but is the university internet connection good enough for gaming on the PS3? Do you connect through wi-fi, or an ethernet cable? Thanks.
Reply 97
good shout A123W, if the connections good I'l bring my xbox
Reply 98
The connection is terrible and the gamers don't exactly help.
Reply 99
I'l consider that a 'don't bother' then! :P

Latest