The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
When I was on the seafront last year, the connection was via ethernet and it was really ****ing fast. Some days I could download an album off itunes in under a minute.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by JordE
When I was on the seafront last year, the connection was via ethernet and it was really ****ing fast. Some days I could download an album off itunes in under a minute.

Was it Alexander Halls (please say it was!)?
Reply 102
Original post by scottie b
hello everyone i am a first year at aber and wondered if anyone has any questions they want answering? something maybe only a student can answer? anything about halls or the people

ask away! :smile:

are you gay?:colondollar::colondollar:
Reply 103
Original post by Reffariiii
Was it Alexander Halls (please say it was!)?

No it was Ceredigion, one of the buildings which is part of the 'Seafront Residences'. Alex Halls, at the time of my applying on what I believe is an old system now, was a seperate choice from all of the other seafront residences.
Reply 104
Original post by A Fallible Poet
Thanks, man! Another question for you.

What's the work load like? I'm applying for the History/Welsh History course. If your course isn't similar, did you know anyone within the History Dept and how much work they had?

Hey!

This is a bit late but I hope it helps, I'm a current first year historian and am doing V100. In your first semester you will study one core module that is purely coursework based and two option modules that will be 30% coursework (one essay) and 70% exam (two hours long). In second semester you will have three more option modules that are again 70/30. The history department is both small and friendly and you'll end up regularly bumping into your lecturers outside of class. Also don't worry about not knowing people on your course as after freshers week you will all be invited to a wine and cheese reception to get to know fellow history students and staff.

Do you have any more questions I can help you with?

Hope this helped! :smile:
Reply 105
Just to add a little to the above post, I have just finished my second year of V191 Modern and Contemporary History, but for all intents and purposes the current situation basically means that no matter which history course you choose (Apart from Welsh History) you will basically be doing the same regardless. For instance, a friend of mine also on V191 was unable to apply for some of the modern history modules he chose to do for third year because they were full, yet I know people studying Medieval and Early Modern history who got into these modules.

In regards to first year. You quite literally have nothing to worry about. For starters, the workload is essentially non existant. At some points I was doing less than 6 hours a week of lectures with maybe one seminar alongside them. Really there is nothing to worry about at all. When it comes to essays my advice is to put some real effort into them, use the library and learn how to access historical journals online, but you only need to reach the golden 40% to get into second year and your grades don't count towards your degree. To put it into perspective, I don't know anyone who failed first year, including people I know who didn't visit the library the entire second semester.

Second year I found things became a little more tricky. You do an awful module called Historians and the Writing of History which lasts the entire year and culminates in a 3 day takeaway exam (3 essays, 3 days). You will also do an option module and a skills module in the first semester. The option module can be chosen from an extensive list and assessment for this will be 2 x 2,500 word essays and a 3 hour exam (3 hours, pick 3 questions from a list of arouns 12-14 questions). Each year there is a choice of two skills modules, and the assessment for that is 1 x 2,500 word essay and a 2 hour exam. Second semester you do another option module and a survey module (I think thats what its called, I honestly don't remember), the option module is obviously the same layout as the previous. The survey module is very different to anything you will have done so far. You pick again from an extensive list, but they only allow 10-15 people onto each one and it is just a single two hour lecture/seminar every week which sort of reminded me of being at college, where you learn and discuss along the way. Anyway for that you will do 2 x 1,500 word essays and you will then have to pick a project for which you will write 5,000 words. I know some of the survey modules, instead of doing 2 x 1,500 word essays, do a single 1,500 essay and some sort of assessed oral presentation.

The department itself is very good, in my opinion of course. The lecturers I have had have all been very good and most succeed in making their subjects interesting to learn about which is an added bonus. The administration staff are also very helpful.

Long story short. Good department. You will spend far less time in lectures than most other people you will meet from other courses (This will make them extremely jealous). First year workload is **** all, to put it bluntly. And second year doesn't get much harder, but you might find yourself wanting to put more effort into essays and revision and thus stressing a bit more, especially since the grades count.

Some advice would be to look up potential modules on the website in prearation for picking them, although they are liable to change. But even if you don't pick until you are sat infront of the person asking you for your choices you will most likely enjoy it. Some of my favourite modules have been ones I picked on a whim or ended up on because other modules were cancelled etc.

Anyway, good luck. That was one massive wall of text...
Reply 106
Sorry, a bit random I know - uni semesters don't have half terms as far as I know, so would there be lectures etc going on during the half term week in february?

cheers
Original post by Jely1945
Sorry, a bit random I know - uni semesters don't have half terms as far as I know, so would there be lectures etc going on during the half term week in february?

cheers

I think so, yeah. Here's the term dates if you're interested: http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/dates-of-term/dates-2012/

EDIT - I've just noticed this is the 'Ask a Student' thread. Ignore me. :lol:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 108
Original post by Jely1945

cheers

More than likely you'll have lectures that week. Depending on your subject you might get a reading week, where you don't have any formal teaching time but you're expected to catch up on reading and studying you may have fallen behind on.
Obviously that's more for essay based subjects - as far as I know sciences don't have them and if you do have one you probably won't know when until the start of the semester.
If you're looking for a week off in particular then you can always tell your tutors in advance and get work in advance.
Reply 109
still willing to answer any other questions people have:smile:
Reply 110

Did the seafront halls or any of the other uni buildings get flooded last week.
Reply 111
Original post by ysgwrn

All the buildings relevant to students were ok I think.
It's more people with houses for their second year that are more likely to be affected
Reply 112
Here's another one then

Do most people bring laptops to lectures rather than using pen and paper.
Reply 113
Original post by ysgwrn
Here's another one then

most bring pen and paper, but there are still quite a few people who bring laptops
When do conditional offers get their reading lists? Is it on results day :smile:
Reply 115
Original post by ysgwrn

no all town and campus buildings are fine :smile:
Reply 116
Original post by ysgwrn
Here's another one then

most people bring pen and paper but there is a few that bring laptops so you wouldnt look out of place
Reply 117
Original post by PinkyPurply
When do conditional offers get their reading lists? Is it on results day :smile:

not sure about reading lists to be honest, there is links to all modules on the aber website that gives details of the modules and at the bottom has a list of books that would be helpful :smile:
not sure about reading lists to be honest, there is links to all modules on the aber website that gives details of the modules and at the bottom has a list of books that would be helpful :smile:

much appreciated :smile:
Original post by JordE
Just to add a little to the above post, I have just finished my second year of V191 Modern and Contemporary History, but for all intents and purposes the current situation basically means that no matter which history course you choose (Apart from Welsh History) you will basically be doing the same regardless. For instance, a friend of mine also on V191 was unable to apply for some of the modern history modules he chose to do for third year because they were full, yet I know people studying Medieval and Early Modern history who got into these modules.

In regards to first year. You quite literally have nothing to worry about. For starters, the workload is essentially non existant. At some points I was doing less than 6 hours a week of lectures with maybe one seminar alongside them. Really there is nothing to worry about at all. When it comes to essays my advice is to put some real effort into them, use the library and learn how to access historical journals online, but you only need to reach the golden 40% to get into second year and your grades don't count towards your degree. To put it into perspective, I don't know anyone who failed first year, including people I know who didn't visit the library the entire second semester.

Second year I found things became a little more tricky. You do an awful module called Historians and the Writing of History which lasts the entire year and culminates in a 3 day takeaway exam (3 essays, 3 days). You will also do an option module and a skills module in the first semester. The option module can be chosen from an extensive list and assessment for this will be 2 x 2,500 word essays and a 3 hour exam (3 hours, pick 3 questions from a list of arouns 12-14 questions). Each year there is a choice of two skills modules, and the assessment for that is 1 x 2,500 word essay and a 2 hour exam. Second semester you do another option module and a survey module (I think thats what its called, I honestly don't remember), the option module is obviously the same layout as the previous. The survey module is very different to anything you will have done so far. You pick again from an extensive list, but they only allow 10-15 people onto each one and it is just a single two hour lecture/seminar every week which sort of reminded me of being at college, where you learn and discuss along the way. Anyway for that you will do 2 x 1,500 word essays and you will then have to pick a project for which you will write 5,000 words. I know some of the survey modules, instead of doing 2 x 1,500 word essays, do a single 1,500 essay and some sort of assessed oral presentation.

The department itself is very good, in my opinion of course. The lecturers I have had have all been very good and most succeed in making their subjects interesting to learn about which is an added bonus. The administration staff are also very helpful.

Long story short. Good department. You will spend far less time in lectures than most other people you will meet from other courses (This will make them extremely jealous). First year workload is **** all, to put it bluntly. And second year doesn't get much harder, but you might find yourself wanting to put more effort into essays and revision and thus stressing a bit more, especially since the grades count.

Some advice would be to look up potential modules on the website in prearation for picking them, although they are liable to change. But even if you don't pick until you are sat infront of the person asking you for your choices you will most likely enjoy it. Some of my favourite modules have been ones I picked on a whim or ended up on because other modules were cancelled etc.

Anyway, good luck. That was one massive wall of text...

Thank you so much for your thorough reply. Since I've been on here last I've done a little more research on my own and got a better idea of the workload. The essays and exams look about on par for what I've done here in the States, which is non-existent as you said. But what really stood out was the amount of time in class. I'd be in 5 hours of lectures A DAY here! 6 hours a week? That's nothing. I'm used to working full time plus going to school. What the heck will I do with all that time outiside of studying!?

Don't get me wrong, I love my country, but your educational system completely puts America's to shame.

As for essays, I plan on putting the time and effort into it. I love history and I love writing so that won't be a problem. I consider myself a "mature" student as I'll be 24 at start of term so I'll be a little bit more grounded and ready for class instead of all that partying that I've heard first year is all about.

I finally got my Unconditional offer from Aber so I'll be finding out what it's like soon enough!

Thanks again!

Latest