The Student Room Group

TSR Hindu Society

Scroll to see replies

Lol, thank you :blush:
Reply 381
ajking
Hey guys Diwali is coming up soon!Whats the significance of the festival exactly?My gf is hindu and i want to make her something or do something for her,something to do with diwali but i have no clue on what is special etc and what to do.Any ideas of little things?
Hope you guys are all ok :smile:
Love andy xxx

I was SO cheesy last year, I took her to the temple and lit a candle for her and said my love for her is an eternal flame that will never go out :biggrin:

Mates nearly threw up when I told them but hey, she loved the cheesiness
Reply 382
in this forum is the most indian flags i have ever seen....................... except for an india vs pakistan match :biggrin:
Reply 383
Lawkward, least it shows you care for her and also going to the mandir is brilliant because at least your recognising God's hand in your life.. so in that way not cheesy at all :-)

Also lol, slightly off topic, good group guys :-) just wondering if theres any hindu guys/gals travelling to Sydney anytime soon, I am, wondering if anyone also is?

Also any hindu guys and gals applying to LSE or going to LSE :-) *cough* LSE ROCKS!!

:tongue:

Take care guys :-)

N89
Reply 384
hey hows things guys, been a long time since i posted here!!
:hello:
:wavey:
Reply 387
wow i havent posted on the student room in ages, it seems to have gone a bit quiet now. I was looking through the old posts and we had a spell of activity, but whats happened now.
A lot of us are in the Indian Friends Group :smile:
Reply 389
Happy Ram Naumi everyone
Reply 391
No one has been posting in here for a while. How is everyone?
Reply 392
I posted this in the Indian Friends Group but it is fitting here also. Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxAgemYVvNo , it's an amazing garba performance by students at Kings College last year at their Diwali Show. Does anyone do garba over Navraatri? It's getting closer, I can't wait.
Hmmmm... why not. :rolleyes: *joins* :biggrin:
Reply 394
The kings diwali show cost loads, but i heard it was good. So mayb ill go this year. I dont like the idea of their being an after party though. Yeah i do garba, its great fun. However i do make sure to remember the religious importance of it. Much better than that other popular british asian passtime called 'clubbing'
Reply 395
Who here is a fan of Swami Vivekananda? Anyone read his teachings?
Count me in!=]
I can understand why kigns diwali show would cost so much even if the costs weren't too high, just the fact that kings uni is completely PACKED with indians is enough reason for ticket prices to be so high:wink: lol

hows everyone planning to spend diwali this year? X
Reply 397
Hey everyone, i hope u all had a amazing Diwali! and a Happy new year :biggrin:. does anyone have a list of unis that have hindu societies? as i am getting late on filling in my ucas form buta uni having a hindu society could change my mind with a few unis im borderline with. im so confused over which uni to pick :s-smilie:.

(and p.s about the caste system (for comments made ages ago) the caste system is nothing to do with Hinduism. people have made it look like it is due to hinduism but thats not true. The caste system is like the class system in England but was nothing to do with religion. The caste system has lead to the loss of so many hindus and it annoys me when they try to put it on the religion when it is jus a bad idea of the culture not the religion).

Thanks lol

Ketan
Reply 398
ketan1991
Hey everyone, i hope u all had a amazing Diwali! and a Happy new year :biggrin:. does anyone have a list of unis that have hindu societies? as i am getting late on filling in my ucas form buta uni having a hindu society could change my mind with a few unis im borderline with. im so confused over which uni to pick :s-smilie:.

(and p.s about the caste system (for comments made ages ago) the caste system is nothing to do with Hinduism. people have made it look like it is due to hinduism but thats not true. The caste system is like the class system in England but was nothing to do with religion. The caste system has lead to the loss of so many hindus and it annoys me when they try to put it on the religion when it is jus a bad idea of the culture not the religion).

Thanks lol

Ketan

A Hindu Society would have that great an impact on your University applications??:confused:
Why?
Reply 399
Please care to read this:

Okay so like Happy all the occasions I've missed out on! Sorry I just thought there wasn't a forum as such for Hindu soc.
And sadly after reading through some of the posts I'm really disappointed with some of the comments! I mean come on! Are most people here preaching without reading the right scriptures? Or are they simply reading the "Online" versions or may be translated by a wrong source. There's the Hare Krishna people, surely they're stuff is right? But think about it...really to get to know the heart of the thing you should read all the translated versions and the author’s comments on the mantras and then may be learn Gujarati, Hindi and Sanskrit to see other translations and the core texts. And then decide which is correct.
Please....I've read many and okay my mantra alphabet is not perfect but like I don't preach unless I REALLY know something. One should look at their source before commenting on here. Because some people looking at this forum are blind Hindus - lets re-phrase it - they are blind British Indians. Hindu - is a regional associated term and it’s rude to say that about every person living in India. And by telling the wrong thing you are moulding their mind to become very sceptical about our religion! I mean come on, look at the Lord Krishna comment earlier on in the thread.

I say "KRISHNA NEVER SAID THOSE WHO SPREAD MY WORD ARE DEARER TO ME!!!!"
(Wrote in caps to get the attention of person who said it, purely cus there was so many parts I wanted to comment on but thought this bugged me the most). In fact there was no mentioning of such phrase! You know why? Because at the time Bhagvat-Gita was written our religion was being created (the 1st) and so there was need for Krishna to spread the word. Krishna was all mighty - Every one loved him - he's name was spread all around, so he doesn't need to love people who spread it further. Please re-read the books. :spank:
Also the whole cast system part is all wrong (mentioned earlier and most of the comments on it are wrong). Please...the cast system was one of the BEST ideas India came out with. It was very effective at the time, evident by the great ruling of Ashoka and many other kings at different dynasties. The cast system is not associated with our religion yet the people and their beliefs make the religion so IT IS. Surely if I am saying please don't preach wrong on here for the sake of the future Hinduism followers not changing their views then obv what the people think will manipulate how the religion is 'actually' practised. So cast system has every reason to be associated with our religion. Because of the cast system the Priests (Spelt with cap 'P' to give respect - please pay some on the Hindu soc thread at least) got highest power (as closest to God) and the system gave the kings some way of controlling the people and thus make their land the greatest.
And why is that people look down at it now? It's amazing! The cast system also shows great advantages when one looks at as if it was to ensure economic maintenance. It also plays great emphasis on 'keeping the genes' in the family phrase. If I was not in my finals I would have sooooooo commented on each and every thing in this thread and finished explaining each of these points in detail. Cus most of the comments listed in the thread are wrong.

Sorry don't mean to challenge any views here but I think someone needs to step up and take charge of this thread to ensure that only the right views are praised here, and so every drop-in reader we get is given the chance to truly understand what a beautiful religion Hinduism is.:redrose:

Yu hi chala chal rahi...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending