The Student Room Group

AS AQA B English Literature

Scroll to see replies

There's only 1 chapter left which AQA haven't yet examined in the section A question, I believe that it's Chapter 6! Chapter 2 came up in the January exam so it might be worth checking on AQA past papers for the rest, but I'm pretty confident it's Chapter 6 :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by danielcain-reed
There's only 1 chapter left which AQA haven't yet examined in the section A question, I believe that it's Chapter 6! Chapter 2 came up in the January exam so it might be worth checking on AQA past papers for the rest, but I'm pretty confident it's Chapter 6 :smile:

Ah, thank you :smile: I was thinking it was either going to be 6 or 7, but I wasn't entirely sure. Speaking of which...I've still got to write up notes for each chapter. Eehhhhh :s-smilie:
Reply 22
Original post by Adrianna123
I think it was about women in his poetry, I'll find out tomorrow cos our teacher will tell us & confirm then :smile:

Thanks a lot :smile: also if you can, could you find out what named poem there was? Thank you sooo much :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by strawberryx
I was wondering whether you remembered the hardy questions from January? I'm doing hardy and gatsby too, and I've noticed you said the part B was hard to answer on hardy as there's no names mentioned.
Thanks!

Hardy was on The Voice and whether disappointment in love was the key interest in his poetry.
Under the Waterfall, At an Inn and Neutral Tones still haven't been set.

UTW would be great for structure, use of different voices, settings etc and would give lots of possibilities for A(b) responses so I'm hoping my students get this.
Reply 24
Original post by Sporia
We are doing:
Great Expectations
The Kite Runner
Hardy Poetry
Browning Poetry

I am having trouble revising, I have no idea what to do for any of these? Could anyone give me a structure to go by? My school is useless, we haven't even read the 2 novels yet!

For section Aa, I would start by giving a very brief idea of the story or the section of the story (in a novel) and the sifnificance of it in terms of the whole narrative. I think it's better to begin A02 discussion with something like structure or narrative perspective and then let other points (e.g language) arise out of this. I definitely wouldn't start with rhyme schemes or micro analysis of individual lines. For example, with The Kite Runner, there is often a lot to say about structure: analepsis, foreshadowing, parallel incidents, the handling of time in the novel is really interesting. On one page, we can be in 2002, 1975, the 60's!

For section Ab you need to keep the key words of the question in mind and use them. Remember to be tentative...could, perhaps, possibly, as this highlights A03 and will help you provide a sense of debate.

Hope this is of some use!
Reply 25
Is anyone else doing The God of Small Things? I haven't come across anyone else who's doing this novel, and we haven't even covered it in lectures; our teacher told us to read it at home and take notes, as we're running out of time (we spent too much time doing coursework). I'm trying to learn off Sparknotes/my own interpretation, but I'd be incredibly grateful if anyone who's done this novel has any notes I could steal. I'm doing it for Section B, along with Keats and Coleridge. Thank you in advance if anyone can help me! :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Solera1847
For section Aa, I would start by giving a very brief idea of the story or the section of the story (in a novel) and the sifnificance of it in terms of the whole narrative. I think it's better to begin A02 discussion with something like structure or narrative perspective and then let other points (e.g language) arise out of this. I definitely wouldn't start with rhyme schemes or micro analysis of individual lines. For example, with The Kite Runner, there is often a lot to say about structure: analepsis, foreshadowing, parallel incidents, the handling of time in the novel is really interesting. On one page, we can be in 2002, 1975, the 60's!

For section Ab you need to keep the key words of the question in mind and use them. Remember to be tentative...could, perhaps, possibly, as this highlights A03 and will help you provide a sense of debate.

Hope this is of some use!

Thanks this has helped me a lot, how can I revise at home to be able to get top marks for this? Should I analyse all the chapters of the book? Aswell as athe 59 chapters in Great Expectations? In addition to the 16 poems?
Reply 27
It's hard to say what is the 'best way' to revise a subject like Lit but I tell my students:

To really know the texts and read them at least 3 times. (though not sure many going that far!) However, you don't want to waste time in the exam trying to remember what a poem/chapter is about.

To select key chapters/poems for Aa practice. (e.g by looking at past questions you can work out some of the more likely possibilities) I wouldn't personally do this for every one -just develop your skills in picking out key aspects of form, structure, narrative perspective, form etc making sure you always link these to the story being told.

For Ab, again -use past questions- but try making up your own statements and arguing for and against them. e.g The changes and political developments in Afghanistan are the most striking feature of the novel'.I sometimes get students to think of controversial or odd ones that they then try and have to provide evidence for.

Oh, and I wouldn't go into the exam thinking - 'I'm going to do x text for section A. It's fine to focus on one in more detail but you need to check Section B before beginning. (e.g the names question in January was great for Gatsby so any student going in saying they were going to do Gatsby for section A could have been thrown a little.
Reply 28
Could anyone give me a sort of structure to use when answering "How does X tell the story in Chapter X" please?
Reply 29
Hello, I'm retaking this module(I left Sixth Form last year) and I've just found out that they've taken out The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time. Is this true? If so, I am SO SCREWED. I've got notes for Gatsby, Keats and Hardy ready. I don't have enough time to get acquainted with a completely new book! SEVERE FEAR
Reply 30
Anyone doing The Secret Scripture?
Original post by zakkaz
I am right now! (Well not right now..)! But yeah. Depends were studying Tennyson - and I'm hoping for Mariana to be honest - but can't help but fear that The Lotus Eaters will come up. Also for section (b) perhaps something on settings/characters hopefully. Im doing practice essay making notes on cue cards etc. GOOD LUCK

I did the AS exam last year, Lotus eaters will definitely not come up, it came up in the summer 2011. Good luck.
Original post by Ra Ra
Is anyone else doing The God of Small Things? I haven't come across anyone else who's doing this novel, and we haven't even covered it in lectures; our teacher told us to read it at home and take notes, as we're running out of time (we spent too much time doing coursework). I'm trying to learn off Sparknotes/my own interpretation, but I'd be incredibly grateful if anyone who's done this novel has any notes I could steal. I'm doing it for Section B, along with Keats and Coleridge. Thank you in advance if anyone can help me! :smile:

I did TGOST in the summer exam 2011, good choice doing it for section B. Section A is best suited for poetry I find, as you can talk about form and structure better. For Section B, depends what the question is. It's pretty easy though applying it to tgost, the question is probably going to be "how do the three writers use..." and then a general theme like time, symbolism, language, locations... I wouldn't worry too much, I think the most important parts of the book are the sex scene at the end in the last chapter, the orange drink lemon drink man, the moth references and how Rahel uses the moth to describe how she feels, the significance of the boat and it representing escape, the significance of when Estha makes the soup or whatever it is, the significance of the hut thing on the other side of the river, how children don't see politics and see the good in velutha, how Estha notices everything and describes everything in detail (child vulnerability) and how people are innately connected to each other regardless of class - Velutha and the mum, the twins being close... Also think about how external influence corrupts society, like the western TV disrupting the house cleaning lady.
Hope this helps, if you have any other questions just ask

Edit: just thought of other examples, the corner to die references to do with Velutha's brother etc that's pretty important, also the canteen scene where the guy spreads his toast really weird when he is talking to the waitress (I can't remember names) but Arundhati Roy does well there because she manages to create two things happening at once, also there is other stuff like the use of weather and nature taking over the house, also the significance of objects as well like the fan moving diplomatically around the room, time as well i'm mentioned but the structure isn't linear which is worth noting
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Captain Hindsight
I did TGOST in the summer exam 2011, good choice doing it for section B. Section A is best suited for poetry I find, as you can talk about form and structure better. For Section B, depends what the question is. It's pretty easy though applying it to tgost, the question is probably going to be "how do the three writers use..." and then a general theme like time, symbolism, language, locations... I wouldn't worry too much, I think the most important parts of the book are the sex scene at the end in the last chapter, the orange drink lemon drink man, the moth references and how Rahel uses the moth to describe how she feels, the significance of the boat and it representing escape, the significance of when Estha makes the soup or whatever it is, the significance of the hut thing on the other side of the river, how children don't see politics and see the good in velutha, how Estha notices everything and describes everything in detail (child vulnerability) and how people are innately connected to each other regardless of class - Velutha and the mum, the twins being close... Also think about how external influence corrupts society, like the western TV disrupting the house cleaning lady.
Hope this helps, if you have any other questions just ask

Edit: just thought of other examples, the corner to die references to do with Velutha's brother etc that's pretty important, also the canteen scene where the guy spreads his toast really weird when he is talking to the waitress (I can't remember names) but Arundhati Roy does well there because she manages to create two things happening at once, also there is other stuff like the use of weather and nature taking over the house, also the significance of objects as well like the fan moving diplomatically around the room, time as well i'm mentioned but the structure isn't linear which is worth noting

I love you :loveduck: For some reason I couldn't get into the book, which is why I've got more notes on Gatsby than TGOST. Thanks for the help! :smile:
Original post by JRSmith29395
Thanks a lot :smile: also if you can, could you find out what named poem there was? Thank you sooo much :smile:

Sorry for such a late reply, our teacher only told us today
Section A questions for Browning:
a) Write about the ways Browning tells the story in 'My Last Duchess.'
b) To what extent do you think that women in Browning's poem are powerless?

:smile:
Reply 35
Original post by Adrianna123
Sorry for such a late reply, our teacher only told us today
Section A questions for Browning:
a) Write about the ways Browning tells the story in 'My Last Duchess.'
b) To what extent do you think that women in Browning's poem are powerless?

:smile:

Thank you so much!! :smile:
Original post by strawberryx
I was wondering whether you remembered the hardy questions from January? I'm doing hardy and gatsby too, and I've noticed you said the part B was hard to answer on hardy as there's no names mentioned.
Thanks!

hi, yeah, i didn't look at the Hardy questions because our school hasn't done them in enough depth to do in section A. we've done this question in class recently and it turns out you can actually write about Hardy poetry but say similar things about the lack of names mentioned e.g. impersonality of it and subtle hints towards Emma....

it's a tenuous link but it would have been better than going with the other question on genres....

hope this helps :smile:
happy to answer any other questions as i have plenty of experience!! :tongue: x
Original post by Yumnaarrhhh
I think I might do Gatsby for section A too, praying a good question will come up because I cannot answer the Section A, part B questions :cry:
Any advice for them?

And I'll try not to worry :tongue: :smile:

one of my main points of advice is KNOW what the AOs are for the question is:
so for section A part a it's ONLY AO2, for section A part B it's AO1, AO3 and AO4 (from what i can remember - might want to check)

make sure you obviously ANSWER the question and DEFINITELY plan before you answer.
as stupid as this sounds when you write your plan think of different points you could include and for each point write a topic sentence so you know you're directly answering the question... as well as this after writing EACH sentence think about HOW and IF it's linked back to the question - make it explicit rather than implicit :smile:

section A part B is fairly difficult - remember to add CONTEXT as this is worth roughly 1/3 of the marks! as well as this, don't spend a long time explaining what the contextual references are - presume that the examiners KNOW.

any other questions you have i'm more than happy to help out :smile:

plenty of experience - sorry it's taken me this long to reply :smile: x
Original post by Solera1847
It's hard to say what is the 'best way' to revise a subject like Lit but I tell my students:

To really know the texts and read them at least 3 times. (though not sure many going that far!) However, you don't want to waste time in the exam trying to remember what a poem/chapter is about.

To select key chapters/poems for Aa practice. (e.g by looking at past questions you can work out some of the more likely possibilities) I wouldn't personally do this for every one -just develop your skills in picking out key aspects of form, structure, narrative perspective, form etc making sure you always link these to the story being told.

For Ab, again -use past questions- but try making up your own statements and arguing for and against them. e.g The changes and political developments in Afghanistan are the most striking feature of the novel'.I sometimes get students to think of controversial or odd ones that they then try and have to provide evidence for.

Oh, and I wouldn't go into the exam thinking - 'I'm going to do x text for section A. It's fine to focus on one in more detail but you need to check Section B before beginning. (e.g the names question in January was great for Gatsby so any student going in saying they were going to do Gatsby for section A could have been thrown a little.

hi thanks for this :smile:

my school spent a lot of time teaching us Gatsby and very little doing the other three texts (kite runner, hardy, rossetti) so we were kind of forced into doing Gatsby for section A.

do you have any advice about a good way to calm nerves or anything before going into exams? i always seem to have a mini panic attack and forget key information and technique going into the exam :frown:

for section A do you have any good way to correctly meet the assessment objectives without straying away from answering the question? :smile:
Reply 39
Does anybody know what chapter came up in section A for Gatsby in the January exam?

The only chapters which haven't been asked are 2,6 & 7, but AQA hasn't published the January 2012 exam yet so would like to try narrow it down some more!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending