The Student Room Group

Calling any organ scholars about

Hi, I'm a prospective candidate, and will be visiting at open days as well as doing the usual Oundle/ other RCO courses.

What isn't clear from the information at both Oxford and Cambridge is stuff like which colleges offer their organ scholars rooms, and whether they include a room rebate, for example? I can work out roughly how the role varies between colleges, and which support further training etc, but they are almost all quite coy about whether they offer rooms and especially if a rebate is included.

So if you're an incumbent or in receipt of an offer with details, could you pen a short note of what is included by way of accommodation? Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
That doesn't surprise me - colleges can be coy on their websites about weird things.

You could just email your preferred colleges to ask. I'm pretty sure they'd give you an answer.

The worst thing they can say is that they don't disclose that information - not sure why they wouldn't though...

One of the reasons why you'd think they would tell you is that it would probably encourage you to apply there, which is something they should want!

I know organ scholars at my college get a (very nice) room for the length of their course. Not sure about a rebate.
Reply 2
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/musicawards/docs/organchoralbooklet.pdf

Most colleges have a dedicated room for their organ scholars because they contain a piano. Typically the junior scholars room is just a bit bigger than average but the senior organ scholar's room may be one of the best and most central in the college. They are usually in the oldest most attractive part of the college. You will spend one or two years as the junior depending on when the other scholar was admitted.

If you read the PDF booklet it tells you wish colleges offer reduced room rent. Some are even free. But the colleges select based on how many apply to them picking the best musically so it could be difficult to draw up a realistic short list based on free rooms.
Reply 3
Thanks Poppy and Stretton.

Guess nobody actually knows... apart from Gonville who has no vacancies anyway. I suppose there are plenty of aspiring supernumerary students desperate to get in so no need to try.

Others may like to know London stipends are in thousands not hundreds and with almost free accommodation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending