The Student Room Group

Can I write a 3000 word essay in less than a day??

I'm really just after some reassurance here; I have a 3000 word essay due in on Tuesday that I haven't written a word of yet! :s-smilie:

I need to sleep pretty much now as I have to get up at 4-5 tomorrow morning, then I have lectures until 3 so I won't be able to start until then. I do sort of have a clue what I'm writing about and I've written a pretty good essay plan but I'm still only going to have about 6 hours maximum to write the entire thing. And this includes a full reference list in the Vancouver style.

Pleeeease can someone tell me this isn't entirely impossible, or that they've done a similar thing themselves?!? :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Carpet21
I'm really just after some reassurance here; I have a 3000 word essay due in on Tuesday that I haven't written a word of yet! :s-smilie:

I need to sleep pretty much now as I have to get up at 4-5 tomorrow morning, then I have lectures until 3 so I won't be able to start until then. I do sort of have a clue what I'm writing about and I've written a pretty good essay plan but I'm still only going to have about 6 hours maximum to write the entire thing. And this includes a full reference list in the Vancouver style.

Pleeeease can someone tell me this isn't entirely impossible, or that they've done a similar thing themselves?!? :redface:

What time do you need to hand this in on tuesday?
You'll probably have to do an all nighter for this one (night of monday to tuesday).

I mean if you have to get up at 4/5 and you are at uni till 3, you are going to be pretty tired when you get back? So either take a nap and then work, or do some work, sleep and then do everything the rest of the night and what you have left on tuesday.

It's tricky but possible.
Reply 2
Yes, but not well.
Reply 3
Original post by Pop_tart
What time do you need to hand this in on tuesday?
You'll probably have to do an all nighter for this one (night of monday to tuesday).

I mean if you have to get up at 4/5 and you are at uni till 3, you are going to be pretty tired when you get back? So either take a nap and then work, or do some work, sleep and then do everything the rest of the night and what you have left on tuesday.

It's tricky but possible.

Yeah I was hoping I could rely on caffeine to deal with the tiredness, sleeping isn't really an option unfortunately! I have to get up at the same time on Tuesday and the essay is due in first thing in the morning! So the only time I have to do it is literally those 7ish hours tomorrow (don't think I could physically handle an all-nighter). Oh god I'm seriously panicking now.
Reply 4
Just do what i had to do and not go into uni tomorrow and get it done that way...
It's how all 3rd years get their dissertations done!
Reply 5
A nap is probably the best option for you. I feel for people who try to do an essay when their brain is clearly calling out for a break.
Reply 6
How on earth are we suppose to answer that? It depends on your ability
I've done it before, didn't turn out too well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
In her final year of university my housemate wrote her entire Russian literature dissertation (about 6,000 words) in about a day! And she got a first for it! To be fair she had done all of the reading, and I wouldn't recommend it, but it can be done.
Yeah I was hoping I could rely on caffeine to deal with the tiredness, sleeping isn't really an option unfortunately! I have to get up at the same time on Tuesday and the essay is due in first thing in the morning! So the only time I have to do it is literally those 7ish hours tomorrow (don't think I could physically handle an all-nighter). Oh god I'm seriously panicking now.

Well, that's not helpful. :smile: Start by telling yourself that you can do it.

Have you done the research yet?
Reply 10

Just have caffeine naps. Also, what sort of student can't handle an all nighter?!
Original post by lcsurfer
Just do what i had to do and not go into uni tomorrow and get it done that way...
It's how all 3rd years get their dissertations done!

This times a million billion. Why the hell would you go into lectures when you have a 3000 word essay to do?

I wrote 1500 words in one day + an all nighter, and I nearly died due to lack of sleep :lol: But I am an incredibly slow writer, it takes me like half an hour to formulate a sentence.

Go to sleep NOW, and good luck :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Yeah lots of people can do a reasonable job of it in that time... Unfortunately i'm not really one of them. Things are improved if you've got a skeleton plan and some refs lined up.
7 seconds per word

maybe 5 per word taking into account thinking/planning time... Definitely doable.
Reply 14
Yes, although it will be harder if you haven't done the reading or have any sources to hand. Looks like an all nighter though, and make sure you proof read, when writing in a rush it's easier to make mistakes, read it out loud as well to make sure it sounds coherent. Too many times I've done all nighters and found that some of my sentences don't make sense when it's leaning towards 4am.
Reply 15
Original post by TheSownRose
Well, that's not helpful. :smile: Start by telling yourself that you can do it.

Have you done the research yet?

I'm so unproductive when I panic too! It's really about a case study we've been following over the year so it doesn't require too much research but I still need to get together about 30/40 references. :s-smilie:

Original post by Keckers
Just have caffeine naps. Also, what sort of student can't handle an all nighter?!

Me! Haha well I can usually but I've had a rough few weeks so I'm already seriously sleep-deprived!
Reply 16
It's doable. But, yes, you may have to skip those lectures tomorrow (unless you absolutely have to be there). As long as you've done your reading and have a plan, you'll be able to do it. Just try not to panic! It won't help at all! :smile:

Also, do your referencing as you go along - that way you don't have to worry about it at the end and spend hours sorting that out.
Reply 17
Ahhh dear, ok thanks for all your help everyone. I'm going to go to sleep now as I drive in the mornings and I don't really fancy falling asleep at the wheel but I'm just gonna have to go crazy tomorrow. I wish I could miss lectures tomorrow but my attendance is already too low (I know, I'm sounding like a poor excuse for a student right now).
Of course you can. I myself wrote one in 3 hours. Granted it was a (broad curriculm) psychology one and relied mostly on common sense and my own knowledge rather than checking facts every second but even so. I also had to move computer rooms twice as classes were being held, stressful! It got a 2:1. Very proud moment.

Skip any lectures that don't take attendance. If you can't skip them, mentally plan in your head the intro or the opening of the middle part of the essay- or any particular point/subject and how you will expand on it. Or scribble down a few ideas. Anything will help.

Load up on water, maybe lucozade also (and coffee if you drink it), a banana or two, some nutri-grain bars or something similar and a sandwich. You absolutely do NOT want to take a pitstop for lunch properly, so be prepared and graze on your supplies as you go along. Don't panic and keep looking at the time. Focus on the task.
yes, but it is gonna suck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending