The Student Room Group

Sociology Unit 4 - Crime - 19th June 2012 - Notes - Disscussion and more

Scroll to see replies

Here's a question :wink: can you do suicide bit

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 381
Original post by porcalin123
For 15 Mark question on research and methods. Ive got one on strengths and limitations of using observation to research street crime. You need to talk about pratical, ethical and theories. (PET)

Firstly, the street is a public space, so there are no gatekeepers restriciting the sociologists access. However, those involved in street crime are often aware of what is going on on their 'turf', so having an observer there will make them suspicious. However, the observer can overcome this if they have 'insider contacts'

Unlike many offenders involved in street crime, sociologists are often middle class and older, so they find it difficult to disguise and blend in, which can cause problems.

Street crime includes theft and violence, such as, 'mugging' and drug dealing. The observer will face the dilemma observing people being victimised without intervening or informing the police, which is an ethical problem. If the observer was to report them, then the research would be effected. Although, by not intervening, the research will bring e they are involved with crimes. If the police are informed of what the researcher is doing then they may be worried for their safety, and interfere.

Theory--> Venkatesh and Patrick: researched gangs and found there was a large element of danger for them. By misleading the members of the gang there is a risk of them getting hurt if identity is uncovered.

Wow !! This is a person who has Revised !!!

THANK YOU!!! REALLY HELPS!!! :biggrin::biggrin:
Glad to be of help :smile: if you need to ask anything else just ask helps me too!

has anyone got an essay on green crime cause my teacher said its likely to come up
Original post by ndubz4lyf
has anyone got an essay on green crime cause my teacher said its likely to come up

I have an outline of the structure for the green crime essay?

Can someone please explain to me Durkheim seeing suicide as social facts? I'm re-reading it in my book but I can't understand it! What are social facts?!

I have an outline of the structure for the green crime essay?

would i be able to see this pleaseeeee?
Original post by emilysadlerx
would i be able to see this pleaseeeee?

You would need to talk about traditional and green criminology. Do we focus more on actions breaking the law or environmental harms, and which should we study more?
talk about transgressive criminology, anthropocentric versus ecocentric views of harm, global risk society and the global risk society and the global nature of environmental harms.
Bring in Marxist ideas about crimes of the powerful and the similarities between them and green crime.
Dont forget to evaluate!
Reply 388
Original post by K.a
I still haven't finished all the content!

The layout is the same except there is now no 12 mark essay, instead there are two 21 markers on c&d and no define questions such as those 2 markers that used to be in there..

So, it is
21 marks - c&d
21 marks - c&d
15 marks - methods in context
33 marks - theory or methods

Thank you so much!!

Theory OR methods? Sorry if I'm being thick but what would the methods one be along the lines of? and the theory? again, rubbish teachers ergh :frown:
Original post by FreyaJane
Thank you so much!!

Theory OR methods? Sorry if I'm being thick but what would the methods one be along the lines of? and the theory? again, rubbish teachers ergh :frown:

Research methods relating to crime, usually strengths and weaknesses.
Theory would be overall Functionalist, Marxist, Feminist, Social Action, Globalisation and postmodernity, Objectivity and values in sociology, sociology and science, sociology and social policy
Reply 390
Research methods relating to crime, usually strengths and weaknesses.
Theory would be overall Functionalist, Marxist, Feminist, Social Action, Globalisation and postmodernity, Objectivity and values in sociology, sociology and science, sociology and social policy

Thank you so much!
Reply 391
Hey guys I was just wondering if anybody has any predictions for sociology unit 3 ... I have like 2 days to do revision for unit 3 coz of psychology revision and for unit 4... I have 2 days next week too.. I'm totally doomed but hopefully I have faith in miracles !
Original post by Naf*
Hey guys I was just wondering if anybody has any predictions for sociology unit 3 ... I have like 2 days to do revision for unit 3 coz of psychology revision and for unit 4... I have 2 days next week too.. I'm totally doomed but hopefully I have faith in miracles !

What topic are you doing?
Reply 393
Original post by laureneb10
What topic are you doing?

I'm doing beliefs in society!
Can someone please explain to me Durkheim seeing suicide as social facts? I'm re-reading it in my book but I can't understand it! What are social facts?!

In a nutshell, social facts are forces external to, and coercive of, the individual.

For example, in order to do A-level sociology you had to join a class and, by so doing, conform to the norms governing your behaviour within that class - from accepting the authority of the teacher to following a particular Specification laid-down by an exam board. These, in a sense, are social facts (or, more-correctly, the external manifestation of underlying social facts - the unobservable facts that underpin observable facts).

For example, in relation to suicide, two social facts are key for Durkheim - levels of moral regulation and social integration - since these are the prime-movers in determining whether or not people take their own life. These are not observable social forces, as such, but we can see and measure their effects. Altruistic suicide, for example, is the result of over-integration, just as egoistic suicide results from under-integration. In terms of the former, for example, people may be so well integrated into a group they will do whatever is asked of them or whatever they feel is their duty to the group.
Reply 395
Is there anybody doing sociology unit 3 beliefs in society who can help me... I'm doing revision in 2 days and I was wondering I anybody has predictions?
Please, somebody help mee ;( :0 !!!
Reply 396
Original post by Naf*
Is there anybody doing sociology unit 3 beliefs in society who can help me... I'm doing revision in 2 days and I was wondering I anybody has predictions?
Please, somebody help mee ;( :0 !!!

This is the unit 4 thread. I would suggest setting up a unit 3 thread if there isn’t one already... Just because it might get confusing if both units are being discussed in the same thread.
Reply 397
Does anyone know where or have the 2009 Sociology Past Papers? Please thanks
I reckon the 21 marks are either going to be on:

Merton's strain theory
Realist theories
Control, punishment and victims (in particular punishment as it has never been asked before)
Suicide
Ethnicity, crime and justice

33 marker:

Social policy (I can 100% put my money on that)
Marxism
Action theories
Globalisation, postmodernity etc (It's 50/50 on this)
(Maybe...Sociology and science?) not to sure because my teacher reckons it has come up too much..

15 marker (method in context)

I have this weird feeling about experiments!
Maybe official statistics or documents

(Remember everyone....secondary sources have never ever come up) so just bear this is mind :smile:
Reply 399
Original post by onlyyouknowbest
I reckon the 21 marks are either going to be on:

Merton's strain theory
Realist theories
Control, punishment and victims (in particular punishment as it has never been asked before)
Suicide
Ethnicity, crime and justice

33 marker:

Social policy (I can 100% put my money on that)
Marxism
Action theories
Globalisation, postmodernity etc (It's 50/50 on this)
(Maybe...Sociology and science?) not to sure because my teacher reckons it has come up too much..

15 marker (method in context)

I have this weird feeling about experiments!
Maybe official statistics or documents

(Remember everyone....secondary sources have never ever come up) so just bear this is mind :smile:

Out of interest, why do you think 100% social policy? I need a miracle right now, I am NOT going to get through all this material by the exam.... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending