The Student Room Group

Sociology Unit 4 - Crime - 19th June 2012 - Notes - Disscussion and more

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by irumz93
argh, finding it so hard to revise everything. I've got an English lit exam the next day! I just hope realism/gender and suicide comes up, oo and social policy or action theories would be a good one.
How are people revising? I've just finished crime and deviance section, theories and methods here i come.:redface:

There is so much so I've just made a list of what hasn't come up recently and I'm focusing on that making notes and mindmaps etc.

I have English too :frown: so i'm finding it hard to devise my time, but i'm fairly confident with english, just not with this! :L
Original post by Tasneem Pathan
that is bloody brilliant! hahahaaa

*bows
Reply 782
Original post by liam1994
There is so much so I've just made a list of what hasn't come up recently and I'm focusing on that making notes and mindmaps etc.

I have English too :frown: so i'm finding it hard to devise my time, but i'm fairly confident with english, just not with this! :L

really? Which exam board/texts are you studying? I'm doing Othello, Pardoner and Duchess. Yeah i mean its so frustrating because you want to do well in both, but there's simply not enough time.
Original post by irumz93
argh, finding it so hard to revise everything. I've got an English lit exam the next day! I just hope realism/gender and suicide comes up, oo and social policy or action theories would be a good one.
How are people revising? I've just finished crime and deviance section, theories and methods here i come.:redface:

Same ive got english too, urghh lucky, still got 8 more topics til ive done c&d. Notes then condensing them work's for me.

And then im going to try and write a mini plan for every single topic, then i canfocus on eng
Reply 784
Original post by irumz93

have you got any knows on action theories you could send me please? i'd really appreciate it cos i really don't get it at all :/ thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 785
Original post by OxfordPotential
are you on AQA? :confused:

Yeah, I am. I only found the Jan paper on this site: http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/548494/7239549.aspx

I think it's mainly functionalist theory (Chapter 4, section 1)
Reply 786
I don't understand action theories one single bit. Ethnomethodology...drawing a complete blank.
Original post by coolasacucumber
Same, Chaucer, Shakespeare and Webster?

Chaucer, Shakespeare and Marlow
Reply 788
Same ive got english too, urghh lucky, still got 8 more topics til ive done c&d. Notes then condensing them work's for me.

And then im going to try and write a mini plan for every single topic, then i canfocus on eng

Ooh i'm studying the same texts as you for eng.
Original post by musqan1
u use the subculture theory to critisice merton and then the labelling theory to critisice functionalists view that deviance creates social control, lemert(labelling theorist) says that it is social control that leads to deviance. and yes you would also bring in marxisms and Feminism. i wish this question would come up but it just recently has it was a lovely question.

Even if the question isn't functionalism/strain theory, you can still pull out the same essay answer, just focus more on the question topic. It is still Functionalism/Strain & Subcultural v Marxism and Labeling
Original post by JamesR1993
Chaucer, Shakespeare and Marlow

Oh okay, how you finding Chaucer?
Original post by irumz93
Ooh i'm studying the same texts as you for eng.

^^ started revising it yet?
Oh okay, how you finding Chaucer?

It's ok i guess, are you doing The Pardoner's Tale as well? I find it slightly annoying when trying to remember the language but i was reassured that if i get the writing similar it is acceptable
Original post by JamesR1993
It's ok i guess, are you doing The Pardoner's Tale as well? I find it slightly annoying when trying to remember the language but i was reassured that if i get the writing similar it is acceptable

Yupp, pain in my...

Oo thats good, kinda made me feel abit better LOL =D
Reply 794
Original post by irumz93
really? Which exam board/texts are you studying? I'm doing Othello, Pardoner and Duchess. Yeah i mean its so frustrating because you want to do well in both, but there's simply not enough time.

I'm on AQA, I take it you aren't?
We have about 40 texts to remember? :l
If a question on media and crime were to come up would it ask for a certain part of that e.g. "Assess the role/effect of media representations on crime" or a broader question like "Assess the relationship between mass media and crime"? I'm so confused :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Can someone please explain this to me as I'm not getting it:

"Durkheim ignores conflict about mortality within a society, equally important, Durkheim, while accepting the relative nature of cime, also seems to think that some acts seem constant, in terms of being defined as criminal, in all societies. That is, he recognises a minimum content of 'natural-laws'..."

Wtf is this book on about... seriously...
It's to do with criticisms of functionalist views in explaining what they think of Crime and Deviance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 797
I have narrowed down the exam to five possible questions:
1. Suicide
2. Punishment
3. Realism
4. Age
5. Class

thoughts?
Reply 798
Original post by Unientry2012
Can someone please explain this to me as I'm not getting it:

"Durkheim ignores conflict about mortality within a society, equally important, Durkheim, while accepting the relative nature of cime, also seems to think that some acts semm constant, in terms of being defined as criminal, in all societies. That is, he recognises a minimum content of "natural-laws..."

Wtf is this book on about... seriously...
It's to do with criticisms of functionalist views in explaining what they think of Crime and Deviance.

What page number is it?
Original post by liam1994
What page number is it?

Oh sorry, not in the book. Are we even using the same book? I'm reading from my flashcards and just assumed I got it from the book. Where on earth did I get that from haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending