The Student Room Group

Sociology Unit 4 - Crime - 19th June 2012 - Notes - Disscussion and more

Scroll to see replies

Ive become severly demotivated while revising theroies "/
Reply 981
Original post by majij
Fuctionalism came up in THEORY AND METHODS... NOT IN CRIME AND DEVIANCE!!!

omg! this exam is going to kill me! i allready just gave on this!
Original post by RMW1994
Oh okay cool, just checking you weren't talking about just this paper cause this is out of 120 ums but yeah 148/200 is achievable,good luck!xx

Hope so! Haha, I could get away with a B in this subject to get into uni but an A would be safer for me haha:tongue:. good luck to you also :biggrin: xx
Original post by Rads.X
how would you end it?

I like to end these questions going from an advantage to a personal point of view. Say;

Through the application of Labov's methods in undertaking unstructured interviews when acquiring data of a personal nature, such as talking about domestic violence with victims, unstructured interviews can offer a different insight into the truth behind actor's interactions that might not be accessible to other research methods. Furthermore, a study of domestic violence victims by sociologists Dobash and Dobash found that victims are more likely to open up about their experiences if talking to a female sociologist and in the company of other victims that they can relate to. This situation can only be found through the usage of unstructured interviews as it offers an informal setting that is ideal.

Overall, i feel (important to add a personal touch at the end) that unstructured interviews offer a unique and valuable insight into studying domestic violence as it provides valuable, qualitative data that would not be obtainable in any other situation.

But that's just me, everyone has their own way of ending their essays but this is how i do it. (This is just an example though, and not precisely how i'd end the essay, as i'd bring Dobash and Labov in a little earlier :tongue:)
Reply 984
Original post by laurennmc
Hope so! Haha, I could get away with a B in this subject to get into uni but an A would be safer for me haha:tongue:. good luck to you also :biggrin: xx

it is soo hard to even get a B with the amount of topics there are to remember!
Reply 985
Just casually flicking through my revision guide and see the a 33mark question saying 'assess the contribution of symbolic interactionism to our understanding of society' ... FML.
Reply 986
Original post by JamesR1993
I like to end these questions going from an advantage to a personal point of view. Say;

Through the application of Labov's methods in undertaking unstructured interviews when acquiring data of a personal nature, such as talking about domestic violence with victims, unstructured interviews can offer a different insight into the truth behind actor's interactions that might not be accessible to other research methods. Furthermore, a study of domestic violence victims by sociologists Dobash and Dobash found that victims are more likely to open up about their experiences if talking to a female sociologist and in the company of other victims that they can relate to. This situation can only be found through the usage of unstructured interviews as it offers an informal setting that is ideal.

Overall, i feel (important to add a personal touch at the end) that unstructured interviews offer a unique and valuable insight into studying domestic violence as it provides valuable, qualitative data that would not be obtainable in any other situation.

But that's just me, everyone has their own way of ending their essays but this is how i do it. (This is just an example though, and not precisely how i'd end the essay, as i'd bring Dobash and Labov in a little earlier :tongue:)

Thanks that helped a lot :-)
Reply 987
Original post by Azii
I was told by my teacher to write short, brief sentences in the 15 marker. Don't babble to much and get straight to the point. Also, remember PERVERT !

What does it stand for again??
Original post by razina
What does it stand for again??

Practical
Ethical
Reliability
Validity
Examples
Representativeness
Theoretical
Original post by RavinaKang
How do you qualify for an A* in sociology? Because everyone I ask says different things...

AQA Website:

Grade A* is awarded to candidates who
have gained at least 320 uniform marks
on the A Level as a whole and a total of
at least 180 uniform marks on the A2
units.

So an A overall, and 180/200 this year as well :smile:
Reply 990
how would you answer a value free esssay????????????? :frown:
Original post by musqan1
how would you answer a value free esssay????????????? :frown:

There are three main parts to a value essay, those being;
-The positivist POV, that it is possible and desirable to keep values out of research in order to get completely objective, scientific data.
-The second POV is that of Max Weber who argues that we can't keep values completely out of our research but we should where we can. He said that we have to have values when choosing a topic and interpreting the data, but not when we make a hypothesis and conduct the research,
-Then you have committed sociologists who say that it is impossible and undesirable to keep values out of research because values reflect the reason that the research is being undertaken, either the values of the sociologist or their paymasters. They say that values are integral because we need to 'take sides' in order for the research to have a point.

Becker argues 'whose side are we on?' saying that values are always present in sociology but traditional sociologists (mainly functionalists and positivists) take the side of the powerful, whereas we should take the side of the underdog, e.g criminals or mental patients.

Gouldner criticises this saying that Becker romanticises the underdog side of society and that we should focus on those wh o are 'fighting back' (a marxist approach) in order to bring actual change to society.

If anyone has anything else to add or that i've forgotten, please tell me :smile: but i think that is the main bulk of the answer
Reply 992
Has anyone made a draft of these questions, If you have could you please repsot, I don't know how to structure it. X
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RMW1994
Just casually flicking through my revision guide and see the a 33mark question saying 'assess the contribution of symbolic interactionism to our understanding of society' ... FML.

I hate action theories! I done that question yesterday and I found it extremely boring! I really hope it's social policy or marxism *fingers crossed*
Reply 994
Anyone have any examples to kuhn's paradigm theory? I'm tryin to put it into perspective atm
Uhh, I have a Realist essay that I got 15/21 (not great but it's something) and teachers notes on how to improve. If the majority of you need help on that I'll be happy to share.
Reply 996
Original post by onlyyouknowbest
I hate action theories! I done that question yesterday and I found it extremely boring! I really hope it's social policy or marxism *fingers crossed*

I'm praying for social policy,like hardcore praying! its so much more straight forward and never come up,so hopefully!!xx
Reply 997
[QUOTE="Unientry2012;38174877"]Uhh, I have a Realist essay that I got 15/21 (not great but it's something) and teachers notes on how to improve. If the majority of you need help on that I'll be happy to share.[/QUOTE

Please, have you got the 15 markers???
Original post by walkhms
Anyone have any examples to kuhn's paradigm theory? I'm tryin to put it into perspective atm

I guess Galileo's theory of the world being round could be an example of a paradigm shift, for the 'norms' of the scientific community were that the world was flat and you'd fall of the edge if you kept walking, whereas Galileo said the world was round, which we now know is truth (unless you want to put an annoying postmodernist twist in :tongue:)

So the scientific community revolutionised itself from the world being flat to the world being round.
Original post by walkhms

An example of a paradigm is just shared basic norms about a given discipline, such as in the natural sciences we agree with gravity, the apple falls to the ground because of the gravitational pull of the core which pulls the apple down, all scientists agree, meaning they can get on with the more important bigger issues which they may differ on. Sociology on the other hand differs on the basics e.g. Consensus and conflict, they are divided into separate schools of thought which mean that they can never come together because of their differences meaning they will never have a shared paradigm making them unscientific.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending