The Student Room Group

UNRELATED MODULES: are they very annoying?

I would be so gateful if someone could answer this -

I understand that at all Scottish univesities you HAVE to take modules that are unrelated to your subject (ie. if you do English Literature, you must do modules in something like Philosophy or History?)
I want to do English Literature, but to be honest, I think that I only want to do English Literature, and not any modules in something else which seems unrelated completely.

So, could I please ask: have I got this right? Do you really have to take unrelated modules if you apply for English Literature in Scotland? I want to apply to Edinburgh University, but I'm thinking that I'll reconsider if it involves this.

If you do, is it a real annoyance to have to go between subjects?

Thank you so much for reading.
Reply 1
This is not true for all Scottish universities, just the ancient ones.
Original post by adieu
I would be so gateful if someone could answer this -

I understand that at all Scottish univesities you HAVE to take modules that are unrelated to your subject (ie. if you do English Literature, you must do modules in something like Philosophy or History?)
I want to do English Literature, but to be honest, I think that I only want to do English Literature, and not any modules in something else which seems unrelated completely.

So, could I please ask: have I got this right? Do you really have to take unrelated modules if you apply for English Literature in Scotland? I want to apply to Edinburgh University, but I'm thinking that I'll reconsider if it involves this.

If you do, is it a real annoyance to have to go between subjects?

Thank you so much for reading.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=892298

This thread will explain the Edinburgh system to you.

Some people love it and some people hate it. The people who hate it shouldn't apply to study at the Ancient universities in the first place as it is part and parcel of doing a degree at the likes of Edinburgh.I really benefited from the broad variety of subjects in 1st and 2nd year so changed my degree to reflect this; which is very common - I'm the sort of person who enjoys lots of subjects as I see how much they all overlap and I loved the chance to continue with my languages without committing to a languages degree and this broad structure was what appealed to me about Scotland in the first place. If you've decided that you only want to study English literature then applying to Edinburgh will be pointless.
I didn't find it annoying - mainly because it showed me that i had applied to do the completely wrong degree. It was so easy for me to change my degree subject from business management to history.
Reply 4
Original post by oxymoronic
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=892298

This thread will explain the Edinburgh system to you.

Some people love it and some people hate it. The people who hate it shouldn't apply to study at the Ancient universities in the first place as it is part and parcel of doing a degree at the likes of Edinburgh.I really benefited from the broad variety of subjects in 1st and 2nd year so changed my degree to reflect this; which is very common - I'm the sort of person who enjoys lots of subjects as I see how much they all overlap and I loved the chance to continue with my languages without committing to a languages degree and this broad structure was what appealed to me about Scotland in the first place. If you've decided that you only want to study English literature then applying to Edinburgh will be pointless.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. It's something that I really have to consider; it seems that it really does affect your time there, usually for better, but sometimes for worse, depending on your personality and what you want.
Thank you again!
I went to Strathclyde for a year and hated it because of this, mainly because they had such a poor range of arts courses to choose from so I ended up studying subjects that had nothing to do with each other and that I had very little interest in. However, at Glasgow uni they offer things like Scottish Literature, English Language, comparative literature etc, so much more closely related. I'm not sure about Edinburgh but I would imagine they'd also have a pretty good selection to choose from.

Quick Reply

Latest