The Student Room Group

Leeds 2013 Medical School Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Richyp22
If your asking how much of a chance youll have at leeds?? 0 unless you have extentuating circumstances effecting your score that the university will accept.

Leeds said they'll be using the ukcat this year and on the open day said they will probably have a cut-off of atleast 615.

Bristol,keele? they dont use ukcat i think. You could also try and get extentuating circumstance or however you spell it and maybe universities will be lenient to your ukcat score and maybe then you have a chance?

I'm in the similar position.
My UKCAT score is 2470 ( ave.618 too bad!) and my predicted grades are AAA. (Also I have already finished my maths in one year and got an A*)
Do I have any chance????
Reply 181
Original post by nasir_12
So you think the score of 2550 or 615 isnt going to be enough for the ukcat cutoff this year?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Why is 2550 equal to 615??!! I thought we should just divide our total score by 4??
Original post by kdk
I'm in the similar position.
My UKCAT score is 2470 ( ave.618 too bad!) and my predicted grades are AAA. (Also I have already finished my maths in one year and got an A*)
Do I have any chance????

You have a chance, Anything between 615-625 Is probably risky though. But if you get through the Ukcat hurdle you have a very good chance!

On the open day, they mentioned somthing around 615 will probably be the cut-off point :smile:
Original post by NutterFrutter
Any leeway for people with achieved grades at Leeds?

Not 100% sure, But it will be = to AAA at As-level, so you wont get cut-off at the acedmic point. But you will still need to pass the ukcat and personal statment stage.
Hey I got BBBB at AS, will I meet the academic cut off for Leeds?? Thanks in advance :smile: (by the way my GCSEs were 3A*8A2B)
Original post by Tobiaswh3lan
Hey I got BBBB at AS, will I meet the academic cut off for Leeds?? Thanks in advance :smile: (by the way my GCSEs were 3A*8A2B)

According to the admissions statement, last year if you got 8A's and 1b you would have met the acedmic cut off. So idd say you'dd have a pretty good chance at meeting the cut-off aslong as you have AAA predicted.
Reply 186
Not 100% sure, But it will be = to AAA at As-level, so you wont get cut-off at the acedmic point. But you will still need to pass the ukcat and personal statment stage.

I have AAAa already so this means I will pass the academic stage even though my GCSE are modest at 4A* 2A 3B C?

Really not sure whether to risk it or not even though I would love to go leeds. . what do you think?
(edited 11 years ago)
According to the admissions statement, last year if you got 8A's and 1b you would have met the acedmic cut off. So idd say you'dd have a pretty good chance at meeting the cut-off aslong as you have AAA predicted.

Thanks for the help! :smile:
Original post by Polioz
I have AAAa already so this means I will pass the academic stage even though my GCSE are modest at 4A* 2A 3B C?

Really not sure whether to risk it or not even though I would love to go leeds. . what do you think?

Youll get through the acedmic stage, I would think. you would have needed either AAA at As-level or 8A's 1b to make it through the acedmic stage last year and I think you would meet both. If youve got a good ukcat and PS i would risk it, Best medical school :tongue:
Reply 189
Youll get through the acedmic stage, I would think. you would have needed either AAA at As-level or 8A's 1b to make it through the acedmic stage last year and I think you would meet both. If youve got a good ukcat and PS i would risk it, Best medical school :tongue:

mmm very iffy at the moment. Last year I was ranked 2900/3900 and I am not sure whether thats because i didnt pass academics stage or I didnt pass ukcat stage (had 580 ukcat last year.. LUUL)
I am not sure if last year they would consider okayish gcse grades as long as you had good As. I had aaab
Going to call them again tommorow and press for an answer :tongue:
Hi, I have 8A*s and 2As at GCSE and have AAAa achieved grades at A Level and A* in Extended Project. I also have 695 in my UKCAT. Will I pass the academic and UKCAT stage???
Also, do you get extra points for getting A*'s at A-levels???
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 191
Original post by royallyrandom
Hi, I have 8A*s and 2As at GCSE and have AAAa achieved grades at A Level and A* in Extended Project. I also have 695 in my UKCAT. Will I pass the academic and UKCAT stage???

you could see a few posts above all you needed last year was 8As and a B to pass academics so why ask a ridiculous question as to whether near perfect GCSE will pass?

Ukcat cut off was 635ish last year so you should be safe there.

You dont get extra points for A*s I dont think
Reply 192
has anyone been able to contact the medical school today? Ive tried calling a few times and no one is ever available :frown:
Original post by royallyrandom

You have 8 A*'s at gcse lol? yes ofc youll pass that section. And youll pass the ukcat section too.

Original post by Polioz
has anyone been able to contact the medical school today? Ive tried calling a few times and no one is ever available :frown:

They normally answer and are very helpful :/
Original post by Polioz
you could see a few posts above all you needed last year was 8As and a B to pass academics so why ask a ridiculous question as to whether near perfect GCSE will pass?

Oh balls, sorry I didn't read the previous posts which was stupid of me. :colondollar:
Original post by Polioz

There wasn't a UKCAT cut off last year.
Reply 196
Original post by Leedsmedic2012
There wasn't a UKCAT cut off last year.

I heard it was 635? I was told they used a triage system in which if you are top x% in each subsequent section of the application you would get an interview. So there must of been a ukcat cut off?

Then again I dont remember where I got this info from

"cut-off scores will be as applicants vary slightly from year to year but based
on 2011/12 applicants grades we might expect the cut-offs to be 3 As at A2 level, 8As
and 1B at GCSE or 3 As at AS, and a UKCAT score of 2500 to progress to personal
statement scoring."

page 15 http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admissions/docs/MBChB-Admissions-Policy-201213.pdf
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 197
I'm really confused as to how the Leeds system works.... is it purely cut-offs for every section that leave behind only 600 people? Or are there cut-offs for each section PLUS a point based system so the better you do the greater your chance?

I got 4A's at AS (6A*s & 6A's GCSE) and 762.5 for my UKCAT..... If my personal statement is goodd would i pretty much be guaranteed an interview? 4000 to 600 just seems so uncertain?!

Thanks
Reply 198
looks like I might be joining this thread on short notice.

don't have the required grades...but they said I could apply anyway with my extenuating circumstances.

However, I am not sure how they will rank me after that....really confused about Leed's selection system...

anyways...good luck everyone!!! :smile:
Reply 199
I'm a bit confused by what's been said then...so at AS level do you need AAA? or do you mean for A2?
I have AABB at AS, predicted AAA at A2...and 7A*s 3As C at GCSE.
Undecided between Leeds or Manchester, want to decide on the one I'd be more likely to get an interview for!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending