The Student Room Group

Leeds 2013 Medical School Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
I'm an A2L applicant too. Does this affect how our applications are assessed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interview on 7th February! Really relieved as silence was deafening! :redface:
Reply 782
Original post by Clara Eliza

Well done you must be chuffed! Mind sharing stats?x
Original post by Clara Eliza

Congrats! May I ask what is your UKCAT scores and the rest of Stat., please? Also did you receive the email today?
Congrats! May I ask what is your UKCAT scores and the rest of Stat., please? Also did you receive the email today?

Thank you! I received the invitation by email this morning at 09.51!

My stats:

UKCAT: 710
AS: AAAAA (Physics, Biology, Chemistry, RS and Critical Thinking)
A2 predictions: A*A*A (Physics, Biology, Chemistry)
GCSE: 9A*, 1A

Really good luck to everyone waiting!
Anyone know approximately how many rejections have gone out? This is utterly nerve-racking :frown:
Reply 786
Original post by Ingenting
Rejection :frown:

Stats if anyone's interested:

Spoiler

Good luck everyone with interviews or who haven't heard yet.

I can't believe you got rejected with those stats! Thats crazy...
Came out of an abysmal C3 exam to find an interview in my inbox! ::biggrin:
Sorry about the medicine rejection. If it makes you feel any better (probably not), my daughter was rejected from Leeds with similar stats,4A's -AS, A*A*AA prediction. Strong PS, elderly mental health/nursery, deaf, Barnados),sport, music (supposedly adding points to application) , DofE Gold; hospital/GP/pharmacy experience, etc, all reflected on the PS .... plus love of science (i'm ranting, sorry due to her 2 years of absolute commitment to medicine preparation and disappointed daughter, it's hard offering support sometimes). Feedback requested10 days ago but she's not heard anything yet,, early days i guess... Why don't unis write on each candidates application form for a quick and personal response for all rejections. Absolutely aware of the high caliber of applicants and limited places, i'm a nurse and have come across a lot of medical students in my time and have ideas about what makes a good doctor. However, the confusion is that others at my daughter's school have interviews for Leeds with lesser stats and virtually no volunteering, it's all a big mystery... still wish them good luck all the same. Doesn't help when my daugher still hasn't heard from the other 3 at all. Good luck to you in your other applications, hope someone sees your potential!
Reply 789
Original post by joker12345

Congrats! What're your stats if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Congrats! Did you receive the email today? May I ask what is your UKCAT scores and other stat., please?
Reply 791

Guess you're not getting in this year then....KIDDING! Most C3 exams are abysmal (mine certainly was). Best of luck.
Original post by medictobe
I can't believe you got rejected with those stats! Thats crazy...

I assume my PS just wasn't good enough. Ah well- it's kind of annoying though, as I thought it was much better than last year's :frown:
Original post by Pixie-x
Congrats! What're your stats if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Original post by Timewilltellu
Congrats! Did you receive the email today? May I ask what is your UKCAT scores and other stat., please?

Thanks guys :smile: Got the email today at about 2pm - surpised no one else has got any today! UKCAT - 707.5, GCSE -11A*'s1A, AS-AAAB. Good luck with your applications!

Original post by Jim Lee
Guess you're not getting in this year then....KIDDING! Most C3 exams are abysmal (mine certainly was). Best of luck.

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm resitting in June! Good luck to you too :smile:
Original post by have a heart!
Sorry about the medicine rejection. If it makes you feel any better (probably not), my daughter was rejected from Leeds with similar stats,4A's -AS, A*A*AA prediction. Strong PS, elderly mental health/nursery, deaf, Barnados),sport, music (supposedly adding points to application) , DofE Gold; hospital/GP/pharmacy experience, etc, all reflected on the PS .... plus love of science (i'm ranting, sorry due to her 2 years of absolute commitment to medicine preparation and disappointed daughter, it's hard offering support sometimes). Feedback requested10 days ago but she's not heard anything yet,, early days i guess... Why don't unis write on each candidates application form for a quick and personal response for all rejections. Absolutely aware of the high caliber of applicants and limited places, i'm a nurse and have come across a lot of medical students in my time and have ideas about what makes a good doctor. However, the confusion is that others at my daughter's school have interviews for Leeds with lesser stats and virtually no volunteering, it's all a big mystery... still wish them good luck all the same. Doesn't help when my daugher still hasn't heard from the other 3 at all. Good luck to you in your other applications, hope someone sees your potential!

Sorry to hear about her rejection- her PS and grades sound ace though, so I'm sure she'll hear someting good from somewhere soon :smile: The application process at Leeds this year does seem to be a bit of a mystery though.

She probably won't get any feedback from Leeds until well after she's received all her decisions. I'm a reapplicant and applied here last year- I asked for feedback at the end of March (just after my rejection) and didn't hear until the end of May- even then it was just my ranking in their system. I agree with you on the point about written feedback, but they get around3,500 applications each year, so it'd be pretty much impossible to give everyone that level of feedback.
Original post by have a heart!

Unfortunately some people just tick all the right boxes I suppose. I'm sure she'll get in somewhere though (especially if she has done the research and applied to her strengths) :smile: The competition at Leeds is ridiculous, and over 3000 people will get rejected before interview, so it's nothing against her application. All of my teachers keep saying that it's normal to not hear until march for medicine, so she shouldn't get disheartened!
Thanks for that guys. I know so many of you have gone through it and are going through it still, your words of encouragement and other people's stories i'm sure will make her feel less alone. Just need that one interview, just to have a chance to show what she's really like:smile:!
Reply 797
Another parent here ...son still waiting to hear... can someone confirm whether they are giving you a ranking this year with your interview offers? My son had an email about a month ago saying they had only looked at half the applications and were going to start the interviews and that still 1900 had not even been looked at, so not sure how that would work. Also now we read that people have been told that the highest ranked are interviewed first... so does that mean the later your interview if you get one, the lower your chances?

All seems very mysterious.

Just wanted to add at the open day they told my son that a score of 2500 gave people the greatest chance of an interview, but that scores below that are still considered if an applicant has an amazing PS.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by q111
Another parent here ...son still waiting to hear... can someone confirm whether they are giving you a ranking this year with your interview offers? My son had an email about a month ago saying they had only looked at half the applications, so not sure how that would work. Also now we read that people have been told that the highest ranked are interviewed first... so does that mean the later your interview if you get one, the lower your chances?

All seems very mysterious.

Just wanted to add at the open day they told my son that a score of 2500 gave people the greatest chance of an interview, but that scores below that are still considered if an applicant has an amazing PS.

No, they don't give you a ranking with the interview, but I think a few people who were rejected asked for feedback and got told a rank, although I'm not sure how that works ...
Reply 799
Oh and comparing the number of interviews for Leeds on last years stalking page to this years, only about half the number seem to have got interviews so far that had last year...so still hope....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending