The Student Room Group

Leeds 2013 Medical School Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1860
How many A2L people got offers? :smile:
I didn't send an email, that's the recommendation from Leeds going forward from this cycle if applications. I would presume you send the email with your new UCAS application (otherwise how would you have the time to improve from your previous application). I'd get clarification from Leeds though. They are pretty good at responding but might be busy just at the mo.

Good luck to your son! I just wanted you to know you can be successful as a re-applicant (& a year off in the mean time can be spent getting SO much valuable experience) so don't be deterred if its what he really wants to do!

besf of luck!!!
hey mtw hows ur revising going? ive done 2 exams and got 3 to go!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MTW47
Just firmed Leeds, I really can not wait:biggrin: I cant make the accommodation open day tomorrow, and I really don't know where to choose. Has anyone else applied for accommodation yet?

Me too, I couldn't make the open day so I'm really confused as to what accommodation to pick now :s-smilie:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hi! Sorry for the late reply! I was a re-applicant from 2012 and after getting rejected in March 2012 I was then interviewed on the reserve list in late August 2012 after results day and then rejected a second time! I was told that they were more than happy for me to reapply to Leeds for Medicine for 2013. Leeds was always my preferred university so I decided to reapply and now have an unconditional offer.

In order to improve my application I tore my previous personal statement apart and made sure that I addressed all of the non academic requirements as well as the academic ones that many universities were looking for within the personal statement. Some universities are more upfront about these than others (worth looking at Bristol and Southampton's requirements because Leeds are looking for similar).

I would say that it is definitely worth applying to Leeds a second time if you really love it! Don't be put off by the fact you have been rejected once by them as by having your A Level grades and a years more maturity you are put in a much stronger position! They assured me that they pay no attention to previous application when looking at you the second year round. After a years more experience you will be a much stronger applicant and for me the fact that I didn't get in first time made me even more determined and passionate about getting into Medicine at Leeds.

If your son knows he is going to reapply he needs to now start getting himself organised for his gap year as he needs to show progression in his application from last year. I did some further work experience in a GP surgery during the summer, continued my voluntary work at a care home and then went to Tanzania with a company called Projects Abroad to work as a medical volunteer for 2 months to get some hands on experience in a completely different culture. I mentioned my plans for Gap year in my personal statement, talking about Tanzania and highlighted the fact that I fund raised for all of the payment which shows commitment, dedication and passion towards medicine. My experience in Tanzania I feel put me in a strong position when it came to my interviews. I had so much more to talk about as my experiences were all hands on making it stick in my memory more vividly than when I just shadowed.

I wish your son good luck with his reapplication, I know how he feels! Tell him I received offers from all my universities I applied to this year after getting 4 rejections last year, so don't give up hope! It didn't feel like it at the time but in retrospect having a gap year is the best thing that has happened to me and I am now looking forward to starting Leeds without the worry of exams.

Tell your son if he or you have any further questions I'm more than happy to answer them. Just message me on student room. :smile:

Just for your info I didn't contact Leeds via a separate email before applying. :smile:

Good luck!!! :smile:
Reply 1865
Original post by heather87
Hey!

I was a re-applicant this year. With my last application I didn't even get an interview - this year I've got an unconditional offer. As far as I'm aware, a grade in hand scores slightly higher than predicted. Also.. Leeds did send round an email saying don't be discouraged from reapplying if unsuccessful. Re applicants should apply through normal methods (obviously) & also send an email to the admissions team detailing at what stage your previous application got to & how you've improved from previous application.
BEST of luck!! I know how stressful reapplying can be. So many applicants are re applicants - it's just the nature of the beast when there are so little places!

Original post by thatonethere
Have you not? I'd ring up if I hadn't by now

Does Leeds specific a grade in the 4th AS?
Reply 1866
Original post by MTW47
No just 3 A's at A2 including chemistry:smile:

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Wish I had applied first time!
what about UKCAT?
Reply 1867
Original post by sadiex1
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Wish I had applied first time!
what about UKCAT?

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admissions/requirements.html
Just got a couple of questions. Does anyone know where most of the first year medics stay? I'm thinking catered but it would be nice if there is a particular hall where there are at least some medical students. And also can anyone recommend whether I should go for social or quiet accommodation? I think I'm fairly sociable but I know that there's a load of work to do to!!
How many stations are there in the MMI?
How long do you get at each station?
Are you allowed to say what each station was testing?

Any tips a successful candidate can give?
I read earlier on this thread that most people that get accepted into leeds are extremely sporty... does anyone know how accurate this actually is? I really like the look of leeds and although I play a sport, I'm not really the sportiest of people...
Original post by sandrabondaruk
I read earlier on this thread that most people that get accepted into leeds are extremely sporty... does anyone know how accurate this actually is? I really like the look of leeds and although I play a sport, I'm not really the sportiest of people...

Rumour. Although, as for any med school you need extracurriculars, there's no special emphasis on sports - I for one am one of the least sporty people you'll meet but I have an offer. :smile:
Original post by joker12345
Rumour. Although, as for any med school you need extracurriculars, there's no special emphasis on sports - I for one am one of the least sporty people you'll meet but I have an offer. :smile:

yay such a relief, thank you! so do you think I would be okay with being a part of the school rounders team, local debating society, being the leader at a medical society at my school and tutoring year 10s french as my non-medical extracurriculars?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1873
Original post by WhatDoIWrite
How many stations are there in the MMI?
How long do you get at each station?
Are you allowed to say what each station was testing?

Any tips a successful candidate can give?

8 stations but I don't think we're meant to say what they are - sorry:frown: I will say that I don't think there was anything unexpected and the tasks were pretty straightforward.
Original post by HCubed
8 stations but I don't think we're meant to say what they are - sorry:frown: I will say that I don't think there was anything unexpected and the tasks were pretty straightforward.

Thank you.
And the questions are standard medical interview questions?
Is there role-playing or anything at any of the stations?
Reply 1875

I think it's true to some extent that they like sporty candidates - I was asked quite a bit about my sport at interview - but it is by no means an essential requirement, and don't let it put you off applying.
Reply 1876
Original post by WhatDoIWrite
Thank you.
And the questions are standard medical interview questions?
Is there role-playing or anything at any of the stations?

Yes, yes and yes!

joker12345,
Sorry! I just negged your comment by accident (i was on phone) I meant to up vote up because i agree, i have an offer and i am also the least sporty guy ever haha :P is there anyway to unneg?

I got an offer and don't/have never done any sport in the slightest - however I did work on my other extra-curricular to try and make up for it :smile:
Original post by thatonethere
I got an offer and don't/have never done any sport in the slightest - however I did work on my other extra-curricular to try and make up for it :smile:

What like? im thinking of applying to leeds this year but im worried i don't have any amazing ECs, mine are pretty generic :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending