The Student Room Group

Leeds 2013 Medical School Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by raveen789
What like? im thinking of applying to leeds this year but im worried i don't have any amazing ECs, mine are pretty generic :frown:

Well I didn't realise I wanted to be a Doctor until going to uni, so I had a bit of an advantage.

I worked on the nurse bank in mental health and learning disabilities since 18 in a variety of locked and low secure wards and also did community support work, then at uni I did a study abroad year in Singapore and went travelling around Asia, through that I was a university Ambassador and spoke at university conferences and also did student support for international students.

I was a class representative (anything like this is always good!) and got elected Medical, veterinary and life sciences college convenor which allowed me to sit on university senate, student misconduct senate and learning and teaching committees. I was also a freshers helper, and volunteered at a language cafe, for nightline which is a listening service and also volunteered for sexpression uk (sex education workshops in schools/youth groups) and also for Anthony Nolan which is a bone marrow registry.

It's important on your personal statement to try and squeeze in how your extra curricular links into medicine, or how it's taught you the relevant skills :smile:
Original post by raveen789
What like? im thinking of applying to leeds this year but im worried i don't have any amazing ECs, mine are pretty generic :frown:

It's not about what you do it's about what you learn from what you do.
Original post by WhatDoIWrite
It's not about what you do it's about what you learn from what you do.

But what I mean is some people do things abroad that sound amazing, or did Duke Of Edinburgh or played county cricket. Where as I only really play football regularly, played cricket only for school and public teams, was elected class representative and was on the student council. Play the guitar not too well though :tongue: Might be joining SJA and hoping to become a tutor if I get any clients. Things I am passionate about is mainly the gym other than medicine its taught me a lot but as you can see all these things sound a little less impressive to a medical tutor for a already competitive course such as leeds A100 :frown:
Original post by HCubed
Yes, yes and yes!

Any tips on how to approach the role playing. I am ridiculously nervous. :redface:
Reply 1884
Any tips on how to approach the role playing. I am ridiculously nervous. :redface:

Just try and relax and make it a conversation - think about what you would want someone to say to you if the situations were reversed. Mine wasn't at all tricky - just use your common sense.
Original post by HCubed
Just try and relax and make it a conversation - think about what you would want someone to say to you if the situations were reversed. Mine wasn't at all tricky - just use your common sense.

Thanks. I'm just really nervous and stressed. :colondollar:

Original post by MTW47
Have you been called for a late interview?:biggrin: edit just seen you on another thread and it would appear you have. Great news. Interested to know why they are still interviewing and how many they are going to interview. There must be quite a few as surely they wouldn't do the whole MMI thing for just a few people. I assume this means that a lot of people who got offers must have declined their places? Just be calm, be yourself and keep smiling, it's OK.

I went through the bradford clinical sciences foundation route. :biggrin: So everything is last minute. If this goes well I start this September cause I've already got the grades. I think they are interviewing around 26 and there are 20 places.
Original post by MTW47
Good luck, you will be fine, hope to see you in September (if I get the grades!!!):biggrin:

Fingers crossed.
Reply 1887
Original post by MTW47
Hi has anyone been to their GP's about the hepatitis vaccinations yet, or are you just going to wait until you get to Leeds and hope they will do them(results permitting!!). I really don't want to fork out for them and then find out that Leeds would have done them anyway.:smile: edit - after maths this morning, don't think I'll get a place anyway:frown:

I'm sure if they wanted you to have them before they would tell you - for dentistry they send all successful applicants a letter telling them to have the jabs as they dental course has such early clinical contact, so for medicine they must just wait until you get there
Reply 1888
Original post by MTW47
In the offer pack there was a sheet on health and in there it said you needed to go to your GP now and start getting them done. However since my last post I have had the email from occupational health dept and they said don't worry if you can't get your GP to do them, they will do them when we get there.:biggrin:

Sounds like they'd just rather you paid than them :P
Anyone hear that didn't do too well in some of the stations and still got an offer?
Reply 1890
Anyone hear that didn't do too well in some of the stations and still got an offer?

If you look back over this thread (around page 80) you will see where we were all able to look up our decile scores before the offers came out. They gave you two scores - I think one was communication skills and the other was task skills. I remember some people getting 5th and 6th decile scores and getting offers, if that helps. And certainly with 8 stations you can afford one or two bad ones if the others are ok.
Original post by HCubed
If you look back over this thread (around page 80) you will see where we were all able to look up our decile scores before the offers came out. They gave you two scores - I think one was communication skills and the other was task skills. I remember some people getting 5th and 6th decile scores and getting offers, if that helps. And certainly with 8 stations you can afford one or two bad ones if the others are ok.

I know I aced some stations and others were complete flops. :confused: And I think thinking more about it is making me even more and more concerned.
Hi,this might be a little off the line of discussion but I want to ask if there anyone from here is member of the medicine offer holder group?Can you help me by accept me into that group as I want to know the latest update.My username in fb is Calvin Chong
Yeah I'm in the same position as Calvin

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by heythere247
Yeah I'm in the same position as Calvin

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, can you give me your email address, so i can add you into the group. You might want to leave it here so pm me.
Original post by CalvinCCW
Hey, can you give me your email address, so i can add you into the group. You might want to leave it here so pm me.

Sent a PM :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Leeds will do all your vaccines, do not worry.

Enjoy what's left of summer and see you in September!
Original post by medicatleeds
Leeds will do all your vaccines, do not worry.

Enjoy what's left of summer and see you in September!

Do we still need to ask our GP to provide us with the list of vaccination that we had before?
Original post by CalvinCCW
Do we still need to ask our GP to provide us with the list of vaccination that we had before?

Yeah try and get hold of what you have had. I struggled, I asked my GP and my schools and I didn't have any record, so don't worry too much. They just gave me MMR, and Hep B, as I knew I had TB and had chicken pox when I were a child.

They're very nice, don't worry.
To any previous applicants: did Leeds use a UKCAT cut off last year? I was hearing a lot of contradicting things....I have read all their admission policy but still not sure? any ideas anyone?

I would like to know as mu UKCAT wasnt great 640. Band 1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending