The Student Room Group

Leeds 2013 Medical School Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1900
Original post by Ama2007
To any previous applicants: did Leeds use a UKCAT cut off last year? I was hearing a lot of contradicting things....I have read all their admission policy but still not sure? any ideas anyone?

I would like to know as mu UKCAT wasnt great 640. Band 1

I have an offer from Leeds this year and I got 640 on my UKCAT too. Definitely one of the lower scores amongst the offer holders, but you shouldn't worry too much about it, as long as the other aspects of your application are up to scratch!

As far as the admissions policy is concerned I'm not too sure how exactly they use the UKCAT, I remember being confused about the same thing and just keeping my fingers crossed. Not the best strategy, mind you. :P
There are other people on this thread that will be able to shed more light upon this issue though!

Good luck with your application. :smile:
Original post by PinkEye
I have an offer from Leeds this year and I got 640 on my UKCAT too. Definitely one of the lower scores amongst the offer holders, but you shouldn't worry too much about it, as long as the other aspects of your application are up to scratch!

As far as the admissions policy is concerned I'm not too sure how exactly they use the UKCAT, I remember being confused about the same thing and just keeping my fingers crossed. Not the best strategy, mind you. :P
There are other people on this thread that will be able to shed more light upon this issue though!

Good luck with your application. :smile:

I have a 2.1 in MPharm and a lot of work experience in the health sector, my PS is okay...so I dont know if I have a shot or not. The problem is I dont have much of a choice(Leeds, Leicester...) because of my UKCAT. I am trying to find out how i would compare to other students because If its a really small chance, I might decide to do the GAMSAT instead...

any advice is welcome...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ama2007
I have a 2.1 in MPharm and a lot of work experience in the health sector, my PS is okay...so I dont know if I have a shot or not. The problem is I dont have much of a choice(Leeds, Leicester...) because of my UKCAT. I am trying to find out how i would compare to other students because If its a really small chance, I might decide to do the GAMSAT instead...

any advice is welcome...

Leeds, Southampton 4 and 5 year, Aberdeen, BSMS and I think Sheffield too now have a low cut off, around 600.
Original post by medicatleeds
Leeds, Southampton 4 and 5 year, Aberdeen, BSMS and I think Sheffield too now have a low cut off, around 600.

Southampton no longer just base it on PS, they interview based on UKCAT ranking as of this year

Sheffields cut off is 650

I am considering leeds and Aberdeen. I would prefer the GEP as its much cheaper for me, otherwise I would have to pay 45K for 5 years with no help whatsoever because am a scottish applicant.

I think I have a better chance with leeds than BSMS.
Original post by Ama2007
Southampton no longer just base it on PS, they interview based on UKCAT ranking as of this year

Sheffields cut off is 650

I am considering leeds and Aberdeen. I would prefer the GEP as its much cheaper for me, otherwise I would have to pay 45K for 5 years with no help whatsoever because am a scottish applicant.

I think I have a better chance with leeds than BSMS.

Sounds like it's changed then, good luck.
Last year BSMS only used UKCAT when comparing two equal candidates. There wasn't a cut off. I got an offer with less than 600. I also got an offer from Leeds. I think Leeds and BSMS look at mature/graduate candidates as a whole - so PS, references, work experience, previous professional experience, extracurricular activities, leadership skills and potential, as well as degree or access to medicine course. Then it comes down to interview performance. Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,I want to ask what is being included in yours offer pack. I found the things in the offer pack from Leeds is rather less than the other universities' offer pack.btw I am an international student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1907
Anyone know if there's a Leeds Med School freshers page? If so could you please put the link up on here, cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Harri95
Anyone know if there's a Leeds Med School freshers page? If so could you please put the link up on here, cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's the offer holders page - are you already part of that?
Reply 1909
Original post by joker12345
There's the offer holders page - are you already part of that?

Requested to join Thursday but haven't been accepted yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Harri95
Requested to join Thursday but haven't been accepted yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah me too, I've requested a few times as well. Although there is a page set up by the med school itself, there's a link on the letter you might have already got from leeds. Problem is no where near as many people have liked it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello I am a hoping to apply for 2014. I have 5A*s 4as and 3As and 1B at AS. I have a good PS but my UKCAT is low: 2380. Should I apply here?
Hello I am hoping to apply for 2014. I have 5A*s 4as and 3As and 1B at AS. I have a good PS but my UKCAT is low: 2380. Should I apply here?
Hi guys, do leeds care a lot about extra-curricular activities? Thank you

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by yum-yum
Hi there :smile:

I've received an offer from Leeds for medicine this year so if you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Although it sounds like there's loads of competition, all i can say is if I managed to get in im sure many of you guys can :P

I'm sure anyone applying to Leeds will find there links useful :smile:

Academic Requirements: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admissions/academic.html

Personal Qualities: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admissions/personal.html

Advice on writing the Personal Statement for Leeds: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admissions/docs/ps.pdf

Hi there! I am interested in applying to Leeds for medicine for the 2014 intake. I would like to know about the course in Leeds in more detail. Is it the traditional lecture-based system? Or moving towards the PBL system? Approximately how many lectures, tutorials, etc do u have per week? I am mainly asking about preclinical years, but details about the clinical years as well are more than welcome.

The deadline for applying is very soon, so I'd appreciate it if you could answer asap.
Thanks!
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone has applied to Leeds for Medicine through Access to Leeds, if so, what are the advantages of it? Would they make considerations if a person has a slightly weaker personal statement? Thank you

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Do leeds favour more A*'s at GCSE? I have only 1A* 7A and 3 B's. I am applying as a grad with a 2.1 degree and 665 UKCAT along with ABBb at A level.

Have I got a chance with my low GCSE grades?

Thanks
Original post by Ama2007

any advice is welcome...

Sounds like ur situation is similar to mine and I got in :smile:
are you liking leeds and what was the interview process like?
Reply 1919
Original post by MakeMeDocti
Rejected with

GCSEs 12 A*s
AS aaaa
A2 A*A*A*A* (predicted)
UKCAT 815

Variety of work experience (abroad too), extra circulars and volunteering. This was my last shot n

I don't know what more I could have done :frown:

Your personality probably stinks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending