The Student Room Group

TSR Dance Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
4 weeks
I have started tap dancing too here, its fantastic. Although I have gone from line dancing twice a week for 2 1/2 hours to tap dancing once a week for 3/4s of an hour. i miss it :frown:
Reply 182
Yeah, I love tap dancing! :biggrin: How long have you been tapping for? Taken any exams?
Reply 183
hehe i would hate to cut down on my dancing, ikinda chose my uni knowing there was a large dance society lol. i went from line dance/country 2 step to a list of about 5 styles lol
jl7
Yeah, I love tap dancing! :biggrin: How long have you been tapping for? Taken any exams?

I have only tapped in my life for a total of about 10 hours! I did a six week beginners course whilst i was still at home, but no-one ever went back after exams. Here i just joined the soc and go to the beginners classes, theyre quite fun. I dont really want to take any exams, I'm not really that good. Although, I would like to compete with my line dancing. I just dont want to take it too far, so far I dont concentrate on other things. I think a competetion would be quite fun, I got a 'costume' and the boots so I dont see why not. Well, I do see why not, I dont think that, even though Ive just said I want to, I would actually be able to! Its different performing in a show than in front of a panel of judges!
Reply 185
Haha yeah I know!! A whole panel watching gravely and taking notes, squinting at the footwork.. scary! I usually try to ignore them, hehe.
A comp's always worth it in the end though, so you should definitely go for it!
Reply 186
Y dont you try by entering the first catergory of your local masters in line?
Tritt87
Y dont you try by entering the first catergory of your local masters in line?

Is that a competition? What do i expect from a competition, sorry I havent ever done one, just shows :redface:
Reply 188
yh it is, look at www.mastersinline.com and everything is explained there..
Thanks Tritt! :biggrin:

[edit]

Just looked at it, the Dances thing, is it set dances then or can you compete with your own dance?
Reply 190
you have to dance the set dances im afraid
Oh right. I didnt know that. Although, watch this space, depends when and where they are. You competing at all?
Can i join? I used to do ballet, tap and modern and now i do ceroc jive.
Reply 193
na i own't be competing in line anymore, I've kinda drifted away from it as I now seem to be doing really well in ballroom and latin. I've finaled in all styles and I've only been to two IVDC comps so far!! woooop!!
nice one! well done.
Reply 195
hippieglitter
Can i join? I used to do ballet, tap and modern and now i do ceroc jive.

That's cool! How long have you been doing ceroc jive for?
Reply 196
Hello all :smile: I've applied to join this soc and I'd like to stick around and chat about dancing :biggrin:

My history with dancing is a bit convoluted. I started dancing when I was five (ballet, then modern), dropped it at c. age 10 or 11. When I started secondary I did a lot of modern dance again and was in several dance shows. I also did line dancing for four years and loved it! Now I'm in my third year at uni and have been a member of the dance society ever since I got here - have taken ballet ever since getting here and tap since the start of this year (although I've already invested in teletones because the taps that are on the shoes when you first buy them are dreadful - they just make such a horrible clunky heavy sound!).

And now I'm soooo pleased that after 2 years' beginners' ballet (building on the ballet I've done as a child) my teacher has now said I can come to the advanced class, so today I got my first pair of pointe shoes :biggrin: Soooo happy! I know it will hurt but I don't care (not right now anyway!). In fact I'm wearing them now, trying to break them in...can't go on demi-pointe at the moment as they're still too hard, which is a bit of a pain - any tips?

Anyhoo, looking forward to making lots of new dancing friends here :smile:
I started uni this septemeber and had to leave my dancing school after 16 years. I have been looking for another one here for a few weeks but don't no where to begin looking. Anyone offer any help??
Reply 198
Does your uni have a dance society? If so then chances are they will run dance classes at a far cheaper rate than any you will find in town (I pay £2 a class in Exeter :biggrin:).
I dont pay per class to dance here, i just pay £12 a year for insurance then I'm all ready to go! I get 3/4 of an hour tapping a week, not very much really, but for £12 a year, I'm not going to complain! Although I do miss Line Dancing, cant wait till I get home to go to classes again!

Quick Reply

Latest