The Student Room Group

Israel bans UN human rights observers from entering the country

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Just to balance this out, Israel has more independent human rights organisation (both Israeli and non-Israeli) than any other country bar America.

Israel also has more independent journalists than any other nation bar America.
Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish
Are you actually disputing my characterisation of the map?

I'll let you think about that one on your own.
Original post by adam902100
I'll let you think about that one on your own.

Is there a reason you choose unhelpfulness over clear communication? I am simply attempting to ascertain whether you are genuinely defending the utility of that ludicrous map as anything other than a deliberately misleading propaganda tool. I must admit to having this bad habit of actually trying to understand what people are saying before I respond to them.
Reply 103
Some people really do find it hard to face the facts, ey?

He's in the right, and you are factually wrong I'm afraid.
Original post by Chindits
He's in the right, and you are factually wrong I'm afraid.

People are more deluded than I thought :frown:
Is there a reason you choose unhelpfulness over clear communication? I am simply attempting to ascertain whether you are genuinely defending the utility of that ludicrous map as anything other than a deliberately misleading propaganda tool. I must admit to having this bad habit of actually trying to understand what people are saying before I respond to them.

Unhelpfulness? Oh, now having a different opinion from the rest of the deluded society is "unhelpful"? Well, forgive me for not wanting to be a sheep, I much prefer using my own intellect, you should try it sometime...
If Israel has nothing to hide why not let the UN human rights observers in?
The UNHRC is just another example of why the UN needs to be heavily reformed.

Half of the countries who are on the council openly treat homosexuals, women and minority faiths/ethnicities like trash yet we let them preach human rights around the world?

tbh think more countries should tell them to sod off.
(edited 11 years ago)
Unhelpfulness? Oh, now having a different opinion from the rest of the deluded society is "unhelpful"? Well, forgive me for not wanting to be a sheep, I much prefer using my own intellect, you should try it sometime...

Unhelpful because you won't clearly state your opinion on the point at issue, namely whether you actually disagree with the characterisation of that map as misleading and inaccurate.
If Israel has nothing to hide why not let the UN human rights observers in?

I suggest you look up the UNHRC. You might discover that its name is something of a misnomer.
I suggest you look up the UNHRC. You might discover that its name is something of a misnomer.

If the UNHRC is as useless as you say then why don't Israel let them in? I mean if they have got nothing to hide?!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 111
What a surprise.
So do you agree with what Israel is doing in Palestine?

I'm interested in how you arrive at that question from my suggestion that the UNHRC does not actually pursue the cause of human rights. I am also, of course still, waiting for you to clarify your own views on the particular issues at hand, rather than making cryptic and evasive statements. Thirdly, I would ask what you mean when you refer to 'Palestine,' as there is currently no place with that designation, and people use to to incorrectly refer both to the land which once comprised the Mandate of Palestine and to the areas currently known as the Palestinian Territories. I do hope you will choose to actually engage with the discussion in a productive manner.
If the UNHRC is as useless as you say then why don't Israel let them in? I mean if they have got nothing to hide?!

Nowhere did I clam that it is 'useless.' I implied that they pursue an agenda which is contrary to the cause of human rights. This perverse agenda should not be humoured.
Nowhere did I clam that it is 'useless.' I implied that they pursue an agenda which is contrary to the cause of human rights. This perverse agenda should not be humoured.

So do you, yourself agree with what Israel is doing?

So what Israel is doing is 'humane' is it?
Reply 116
Original post by el scampio

Should we invade? Why won't they let the inspectors in? Are they building nuclear weapons? Killing people?

The UN should send in investigators under military protection. Apply sanctions on trade. Freeze the assets of their central bank. Whatever it takes to bring these bullies in line with the civilized world.

If any other country did this, it would be viewed as promoting and hiding human rights violations.

I wonder why Iran or any other embargoed nation doesn't pick up on this and scream double standards.

Hi el scampio,

Given that you are a big fan of the UN, do you also support Israel's right to exist on the basis of the UN backed partition plan for the British Palestinian Mandate?
Reply 117
The UN is a farce in so many ways. For example you have the Decolonisation Committee of 24, which includes China who currently occupy Tibet and claim Taiwan despite almost nobody in those territories wanting to be part of China. This is made possible by a sort of double-think which on one hand says people should be able to have self-determination, but on the other hand says territorial integrity is supreme. The result is in practice a kind of anti-west bias which says western colonialism is bad but colonialism by anyone else is ok.

Israel has good reason to be suspicious of the UN.
(edited 11 years ago)
So do you, yourself agree with what Israel is doing?

So what Israel is doing is 'humane' is it?

What are you actually talking about? What actions are you actually asking me about? All you have done is ask loads of vague, unclear questions and make cryptic statements without actually clearly stating your opinion on anything. You haven't even clarified your position on the initial thing you commented on, namely that map. I stated that it is inaccurate and misleading. You have never even clearly stated whether you agree or disagree with that characterisation. Come on! A discussion requires more than one person to be actually making an effort.
What are you actually talking about? What actions are you actually asking me about? All you have done is ask loads of vague, unclear questions and make cryptic statements without actually clearly stating your opinion on anything. You haven't even clarified your position on the initial thing you commented on, namely that map. I stated that it is inaccurate and misleading. You have never even clearly stated whether you agree or disagree with that characterisation. Come on! A discussion requires more than one person to be actually making an effort.

My bad, I thought you were able to read between the lines...

I DO NOT agree with Israel killing innocent people simply because they 'believe' they have a right to the land.

Clear enough for you?

Let me know if you have any problems understanding it, I've tried to keep the sentences as short as I can so you don't get confused. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending