The Student Room Group

Most over-rated goal in football history

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Iniesta's goal against Chelsea.
Cantona's goal against Sunderland.

:ninja:
Reply 21
Gary Neville had a f***ing orgasm over a Torres tap-in last week... Reckon that's pretty damn overrated!
Reply 22
Di Canio's volley
Any free kick by Beckham
Michael Owen against Argentina
Anything scored by Gerrard as 90% of his shots go into orbit
Ryan Giggs against Arsenal wasn't that special

However I think Beckham from halfway and Cantona are pretty good!
Reply 23
Di Canios volley was insane tekkers!

Though I love the guy I think Roberto Baggio vs Czechoslovakia in Italia 90 is overrated
Reply 24
Original post by MittenRef
Gary Neville had a f***ing orgasm over a Torres tap-in last week... Reckon that's pretty damn overrated!

To be fair that goal was quality, it was as route 1 as you could possibly get. That's the cheapest goal you can ever concede.
Reply 25
Original post by Cassanata
Di Canios volley was insane tekkers!

Though I love the guy I think Roberto Baggio vs Czechoslovakia in Italia 90 is overrated

Baggio? Overated goal? :mad:
Reply 26
Original post by Arekkusu

Ryan Giggs against Arsenal wasn't that special

The goal itself, perhaps. However, for me it can't be viewed in isolation. It needs to be considered within the context of the game (Keane sending off, Schmeichel penalty save in injury time then, in ET, bang Giggs scores that goal) and wider treble winning season. This is just a personal view. In the context of this thread then, yes, it can.

Not overrated as such, but it surpises me how much Ben Arfa's recent goal is creamed over, but the far better goal he scored Blackburn in the FA Cup, just a few weeks earlier, is ignored (and many are unknown of it). This probably partly comes down to TV coverage, MOTD actually showed it numerous times but, as ITV have FA Cup rights (and are ****) they only briefly showed it and made no specific reference to it post-match - as there was no real post-match discussion but a chat with Ince about his son instead :sigh:
Reply 27
I like football, used to love it when I was younger actually....but honestly, all of the whole sport, especially in England and Spain, is overrated.
Reply 28
Original post by scbond
I like football, used to love it when I was younger actually....but honestly, all of the whole sport, especially in England and Spain, is overrated.

How can a whole sport be over-rated ... ?
Original post by Dioufy
SMH u bunch of couch potatoes, bet some of you saying these goals are easy have never kicked a ball before, bunch of Fifa / Football manager fanboys, about Becks goal was a "punt" smh

Haha^ true, most of you can't even kick ball!
Original post by Arcanine
No one rates that goal.

You've clearly never been to Scotland.
Reply 31
Rooney vs City.
Would have been interesting to see where the ball would have ended up had he hit it with his foot and not his shin.
Original post by Strangeclouds
Rooney's overhead kick, and the Di Canio volley. Granted its very difficult to score a volley like that but its not Goal of the Decade stuff, as is regularly claimed.

To be fair, the Di Canio volley was a special goal, it's very rare you see goals of that type.

Overhead kicks are ten-a-penny however.
Original post by n1r4v
Iniesta's goal against Chelsea.
Cantona's goal against Sunderland.

:ninja:

Do people even rate Iniesta's goal that highly?
Cantona's was over-rated, yes. It's famous mainly because it was Cantona, and it was a career-defining goal for him, much like Beckham's goal against Wimbledon and Rooney's against Man City. Basically, every Man United hero over the past 20 years needs a goal that Sky Sports can trundle out on a regular basis. Giggs's goal against Arsenal falls into the same category, but that was a legitimately world class goal, I don't think anyone can begrudge him that.
Original post by Strangeclouds
Rooney's overhead kick, and the Di Canio volley. Granted its very difficult to score a volley like that but its not Goal of the Decade stuff, as is regularly claimed.

Di Canio's volley against Wimbeldon was top notch
Original post by Alofleicester
You've clearly never been to Scotland.

I've been to Scotland a few times; no one rates it.
Original post by n1r4v
Yep, it was rated 2nd in the fifa puskas award thing (best goal of the year)

That's voted for by the public though, so you are always going to get people voting for their favourite team's goals. A couple of years back for that award, the candidates included Linus Hallenius (scored a Van Basten-esque volley for Hammarby) and Matty Burrows (backheeled volley for Glentoran) yet the winner was Hamit Altintop's volley for Turkey against Kazakhstan, yes it was a good goal but it was not on the same level as the other two and it was obvious loads of fanatical Turkish fans had gone onto the website and voted for that goal.
Original post by Fusion
Rooney's overhead against Man City. It came off his shin, which makes it a complete fluke, it may look spectacular, but that doesn't matter.

Can say the same about RVP's volley against Charlton
Danny Rose against Arsenal, April 2010. It's literally the only reason he wasn't loaned out in January.
Reply 39
Original post by jam277
To be fair that goal was quality, it was as route 1 as you could possibly get. That's the cheapest goal you can ever concede.

Was funny to watch, but quality? My dead goldfish from 10 years ago could of scored it!

Quick Reply

Latest