The Student Room Group

Graduation ceremonies are silly.

You pay £25 for a ticket and even more for some silly costume and a ridiculous hat just to take a picture of you with a piece of paper.

I won't be attending my ceremony. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Scroll to see replies

But it's an epochal moment of your life that is immortalised in that photograph. :erm:

It's one of those photos that has a permanent place on the wall or mantelpiece. :biggrin:
Reply 2
Tbh I am really looking forward to them.
Reply 3
Original post by Tongo
You pay £25 for a ticket and even more for some silly costume and a ridiculous hat just to take a picture of you with a piece of paper.

You sound so grateful for the opportunity you've had to get that "piece of paper."
Reply 4
Original post by Tongo

One of my mates at uni felt exactly the same way until he actually did it.

It's a cracking way to round off a formative part of ones life. I loved it.
I'm finally graduating from Oxford on Saturday and I'm really looking forward to it. That said, I do think the poncy Latin ceremony is a bit much :biggrin:
I agree. If you are at oxford or cambridge then fair enough because they are old and it is traditional but if you are a poly then its a bit silly, my local tech even does it with full gowns for their national diplomas. Ill still be going to mine even though its stupid.
Reply 7
Original post by Eunuch
You sound so grateful for the opportunity you've had to get that "piece of paper."

It actually is just a piece of paper...it's not your degree, just paper for the photo...

but I agreeee, you only get to do it once...look forward to your graduation goggles!
Original post by Sternumator
I agree. If you are at oxford or cambridge then fair enough because they are old and it is traditional but if you are a poly then its a bit silly, my local tech even does it with full gowns for their national diplomas. Ill still be going to mine even though its stupid.

Even our local playschool has a 'graduation' - complete with the little rat bags wearing caps and gowns :facepalm: - so I have no qualms with people graduating from polys.
Reply 9
I thought it'd be stupid and really didn't wanna go but I actually really enjoyed it.
Well we don't pay to attend graduation at my uni - I don't know why you have to pay 25 quid to attend your own ceremony, that's a piss take. We just pay for the gown and mortar board which is hardly an injustice since it'd be ridiculous to expect the uni to dress everyone. It's quite expensive for academic dress hire but I've worked 3 years for this degree so I may as well get dressed up to receive it.
Original post by whyumadtho
But it's an epochal moment of your life that is immortalised in that photograph. :erm:

It's one of those photos that has a permanent place on the wall or mantelpiece. :biggrin:

Permanent place on my parents wall or mantelpiece maybe, it won't be going on mine.

I agree with OP, the whole thing just seems a bit pretentious and from what I've heard, a rather boring day of mostly waiting for stuff to happen. I wouldn't be going were it not for the mob pressure coming from my family.
Reply 12
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm finally graduating from Oxford on Saturday and I'm really looking forward to it. That said, I do think the poncy Latin ceremony is a bit much :biggrin:

reading this then reading your sig which says 2010 confused me greatly
Ceremonies in general are lame.

Apparently I'm a bad person because I'd rather be doing something else. People are lame.
It is going to be one of those moments that will be in your memories for a while, and no doubt for me at least, it will be emotional.

It won't be emotional because I am shaking the Chancellors hand, or because I like wearing the robe. It is because it encapsulates a chapter of my life. A sum of all those memories, the exams, the friends, the challenges of living on your own, and knowing that this is it, this is the end.

For me, I guess the measure of my emotion is correlated to how much my University meant for me, I look forward to going into the wide world, but I will miss the student life but I am glad it happened. I don't feel intellectuall smarter, but emotionally I have.
Original post by boba
reading this then reading your sig which says 2010 confused me greatly

My college had a two-year backlog to clear before they could graduate me :sadnod:
Reply 16
i'm looking forward to mine next year, if i ever get there. i think its a nice end to the 3 years of hard work i will have put in and is a nice day to remember. i also like the idea of my whole class getting together to celebrate passing our diplomas/degrees.
when i did my nvq's they put on a little award ceremony for us all with a meal and then the presentations of our certificates. we didnt do the gown and cap thing, just dressed smart. it was really nice and my mum and nana were really proud of me and enjoyed going, and that was just for my nvqs so i imagine that at my university one itll be even better.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
My college had a two-year backlog to clear before they could graduate me :sadnod:

A backlog ? How do you mean ?
You guys only have to pay £25?

My institution makes you rent or buy gowns from Ede and Ravenscroft :lolwut: it's a lot more than £25.

Getting inside the venue is about £30 (London Guildhall).

Buying the gown is £264.00.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Yes, they are. My uni had trumpeters from the cavalry, which is a bit OTT. But it's just a bit of a fun way to end off your three years; I think you would regret it one day if you didn't go.

Also, you've spent tens of thousands of pounds anyway, may as well round it up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending