The Student Room Group

Should I attend my graduate welcome day?

The head office is around a 4-hour train journey with multiple stops to the head office, which is putting me off. Unfortunately, staying overnight in that city isn't possible because of costs. I know it's advised to attend but they're understanding if we cannot make it.

Just wanted some advice on what to do as I'm sure it'll be an informative session.
Reply 1
Original post by maddy123321
The head office is around a 4-hour train journey with multiple stops to the head office, which is putting me off. Unfortunately, staying overnight in that city isn't possible because of costs. I know it's advised to attend but they're understanding if we cannot make it.

Just wanted some advice on what to do as I'm sure it'll be an informative session.

I would - have you looked at B&Bs or Premier Inn? I would have thought attending gives a good first impression.
If you can't stay in the city itself then a stay-over in the town/city before the final leg of the journey might be affordable

Doesn't your employer pay expenses for attending company events?
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
I would - have you looked at B&Bs or Premier Inn? I would have thought attending gives a good first impression.

True but there's also train strikes going on and I had a look this morning if train journeys were running as normal and there was some delays. I cant look to stay overnight as I have my graduation the day before :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
If you can't stay in the city itself then a stay-over in the town/city before the final leg of the journey might be affordable

Doesn't your employer pay expenses for attending company events?

They do pay expenses of up to £100. My train ticket is coming to £85 and staying overnight would be around £60-70 which isnt bad but I cant stay overnight as I have my graduation ceremony the day before
Reply 5
True but there's also train strikes going on and I had a look this morning if train journeys were running as normal and there was some delays. I cant look to stay overnight as I have my graduation the day before :frown:

Sorry how does that stop you travelling after your graduation? You could stay after the graduation event to make it less frenetic.
Just to clarify, is this for a graduate scheme or something similar?

Are you based in the head-office, or do you work from another office?
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
Sorry how does that stop you travelling after your graduation? You could stay after the graduation event to make it less frenetic.

My grad ceremony starts at 5:30pm in evening and ends around 7:30pm, and I have to be there for the welcome day at 9am. I can't stay after the grad ceremony as it will be too late to travel down south. If I travel on the day, I will need to travel to another town for the 5am train
Reply 8
Original post by Smack
Just to clarify, is this for a graduate scheme or something similar?

Are you based in the head-office, or do you work from another office?

Yes a grad scheme. We've had online meetings with the rest of the grad cohort in which they answer any of our qs etc. I will be working up North in another office. However, the welcome day is being hosted in the head office.
Reply 9
You have made up your mind that it is too complicated to go, although it would be possible to get a later train if you really wanted to. However, if the welcome day is not in your actual office and doesn’t concern the people that will be directly responsible for your training I don’t think that your presence is 100% necessary. Nevertheless you will miss out on a networking opportunity which is always a shame as you never know when a contact in another office can be useful.
Yes a grad scheme. We've had online meetings with the rest of the grad cohort in which they answer any of our qs etc. I will be working up North in another office. However, the welcome day is being hosted in the head office.

OK thanks for clarifying. I largely agree with @Euapp. I appreciate that getting up effectively in the middle of the night to attend for 9am might be off-putting, and that due to your graduation ceremony it isn't possible to stay overnight before. Would it be acceptable for you to arrive a little bit later?
My grad ceremony starts at 5:30pm in evening and ends around 7:30pm, and I have to be there for the welcome day at 9am. I can't stay after the grad ceremony as it will be too late to travel down south. If I travel on the day, I will need to travel to another town for the 5am train

So no-one can drive you either? I would have taken my son from his graduation to anywhere ...it sounds like you've made up your mind so I'll not waste my time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending