The Student Room Group

Aberdeen or Glasgow?

Hi
I've been offered a place for computer science both at the university of aberdeen and at the university of glasgow. But I just cannot decide where to go.
Pros for aberdeen: - I could study Psychology and computer science in my first two years and then be able to do honours in both
- I like Aberdeens position next to the sea
Pros for glasgow:
- the uni is more reputable (I would like to do postgraduate study somewhere like London or Oxbridge and I don't know how this affects my chances)
- the campus seems more beautiful

I haven't been to both unis and I won't be able to visit them until after my decision deadline, since I aam from Germany. Important factors for my decision are:
- how enthusiastic is thhe staff about their subject(especially in maths, computer science and psychology)?
- do most of the students want to actually learn something or do they just go clubbing or something?

Thank you for your answers ;-)
Reply 1
Original post by bionado
- the uni is more reputable (I would like to do postgraduate study somewhere like London or Oxbridge and I don't know how this affects my chances)

Aaaargh! It always freaks me out how people think the reputation of their university might affect the chances of getting into Oxbridge or whatever for postgrad. Admissions tutors don't give a damn whether you come from Heidelberg, Harvard, Leeds or London Met (yes, there are people from London Met at Oxbridge!), what really counts is your degree (i.e. a good 2:1 or proper 1st).

Sure, they also look at extra-curricular stuff and a very good university will give good support to you while studying (probably resulting in better grades) and might open more chances for extracurriculars, but there should be no difference between Aberdeen and Glasgow. Both are very good, look at whether you like the city, campus etc. and put emphasis on the course content.
Reply 2
Got a couple of friends who applied for computer science/software engineering this year and as far as I've heard the place to go in Scotland for that is Glasgow. Lots of options and a very strong research department. Also went to the talk on computer science at the open day coz I was hoping to do it as a third subject in first year if I was going there. I was really quite impressed by it.
Tend not to hear too much about Aberdeen unless its for humanities, social sciences or some thing related to the oil industry.

Quick Reply

Latest