The Student Room Group

Why is volunteer work good for your CV and Uni applications?

Does it actually make you more likely to get offered a job or a place at uni?
Reply 1
As opposed to doing nothing, yes. Compared to other things, it'd depend on what you were applying to do.
Original post by porcelainwhite
Does it actually make you more likely to get offered a job or a place at uni?

Job - usually, especially if you don't have relevant paid experience.

Uni - depends on the course. For one like medicine I understand it's effectively a prerequisite. For others it may merely be handy for showing interest, or could be entirely irrelevant.
Good question. it may give you an extremely small advantage for a university place and job. However, i would say that it doesn't help you get further in life because you can say: 'hay I volunteer' BUT RATHER: it develops you as a person allowing you to gain new skills, you feel good for doing something worth while and it is something to do! well that is my opinion anyway! :smile: - Note I volunteer regularly at a local dog rescue centre for those reasons.
Reply 4
Yep, shows that you are determined. Especially when there are not many paid jobs its the best time to to do voluntary work
Yes, volunteer work is useful and allows you develop new attributes.
Reply 6
It does, helps you gain much-needed skills and experience which can then lead to a paid job. I'm working on my current job due to all of the volunteering I've done previously.
It depends on what course you are applying for, but work experience is essential for things like medicine/nursing.

It is very useful for jobs, because you learn transferrable skills, such as communication etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending