The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sharri5
I watched lectures online and they were so boring they damn near put me to sleep. Why do the lecturers suck? It's like they were pulled from the grave to teach.

Have a look at MIT lectures, they are very interesting.

I don't know about the quality of oxbridge lectures, but MIT ones are really good.
Original post by Hypocrism
I have to study it myself afterwards, and I don't really learn that well from any lecture process anyway (despite learning via sound mostly, damn unpredictable memorizing patterns!). The subjects I don't like learning on my own correlate very well to the ones with bad lecturers.

Yeah same, except my reason is that because of the bad lecturer, I didn't understand it as well, so I have more trouble learning the subject and then enjoy it less ^^

Except for A-level physics, had awful teachers but completely loved the subject
Original post by concubine
I really don't see what's so unbelievable about someone watching lectures online when they're increasingly accessible. That, or given how much students seem to love bitching, that someone would find the lectures they saw boring (even though I bet they weren't).

Banned TSR members don't often make a habit of watching Oxbridge lectures online for entertainment purposes, and if they do, post inflammatory threads about it afterwards, without including any detail about the content of the lecture.

Elementary, my dear concubine :pierre:
Reply 23
Original post by kka25
Exactly. To this day, I'm still pissed off by the fact that I'm a bit weak on certain topics because of poor teaching style/teaching attitude/lack of consultation time and most of the time, I ended up self-studying it 100% on my own in the cafe - and that's really effective isn't it? :s-smilie:

Unfortunately I do a subject (medicine) requiring self-memorization in all subjects, and lectures really just delivering material, so ALL my lectures require that self-study :P But I agree that bad teaching is not a good start to motivation.
Reply 24
Original post by Hypocrism
Unfortunately I do a subject (medicine) requiring self-memorization in all subjects, and lectures really just delivering material, so ALL my lectures require that self-study :P But I agree that bad teaching is not a good start to motivation.

Mate, I feel for you. They should have laws for these sort of things =/
I heard that some people have their lessons in the pub at Oxford.. Kinda cool! However, this business lecture seems pretty interesting don't you agree? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl1vSXjxBmM
Reply 26
Original post by Architecture-er
So who were these boring online lectures taught by, and on what subjects?

Links please, partly because I doubt you watched any, and partly because I would like to if you truly had. :wink:

I don't know about other subjects yet, but they definitely recorded some of the CompLab lectures for online use when I was there; they were distributed as an online podcast somewhere.
In arts subjects at least, Oxford university lectures have not been central to the undergraduate learning experience since the middle ages. In most universities, the lecture is the primary method of instruction. In Oxford that is the reading list and the tutorial. Oxford lecture series do not systematically cover the entire syllabus for a paper but rather represent a lecturer developing an in depth study of a single aspect of the syllabus largely of his own choosing.

If the lecturer isn't very good at it, no-one much cares. It isn't going to affect anyone's results in Finals. The students will simply vote with their feet. Decent lecturers are usually chosen to deliver introductory lectures.

The reason Oxford is in this position is largely financial. Up until WWII most undergraduate lectures were college lectures open only to members of that college or other colleges that had agreed to share lecture courses. These lectures were spoon feeding of the kind delivered in in other universities. Fellows and lecturers were paid by the colleges. Only the very few professors and readers were paid by the university.

What changed after the war was the level of government funding, most of which was given the to university and not the colleges. As such the colleges could no longer afford the whole cost of dons' salaries. A way had to be found for the university to pay part of the salaries of these academics. However, what the academics were doing was solely providing college tuition for college members. The way this was dealt with was to appoint virtually all teaching fellows to university lectureships at university expense. That did mean that the dons had to sing for their supper. Accordingly rather than a few professorial lectures, now virtually the whole body of academics were delivering university lectures. However no-one really cared what they were lecturing on, provided they actually stood up and lectured for a certain number of hours a year. The professors had lectured on what they fancied without regard to the syllabus, and now everyone did.

The old college lectures died out due to pressure of time and the growth in undergraduate textbooks.

Therefore an Oxford lecture is really a way of remunerating a don, not teaching an undergrad. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by kka25
Then way pay them if they can't teach properly? Why assess the lecturer if the Uni thinks that they are not aiming for better quality in education but more for research? Here's the thing; you'd be utterly naive if you think most UG students will benefit from the lecturers' research. UG students are there to learn fundamental things from their degree; not something brand new that's out of this world. Therefore, if these educators can't even deliver basic content, then the question becomes, why pay them in the first place if all you do is study it yourself? Moreover, if you actually read research papers in education, universities basically provide a service - just like your nearest shopping mall. You pay these Unis to teach you something; and if you don't like it, or think it's utterly pitiful, then you have the right to ask for a better service, hence a better educator. That's why they have the quality assurance board.

There are various academic papers out there that are trying to improve education in University; even for the Sciences. Your reasoning is based on high school or your peers dogma where ;"I'm at Uni, doesn't matter if the lecturer is bad or not, I should learn by my own - 110%" - ineffective and basically you've been ripped-off.

I think you'd be one of those people that would read slides or just skim through it if you were to be an educator in Uni. Better skip your class.

They are there to teach students. Not only to do research. You can complain if you don't like the lecturer(s) way of teaching.

I think the bolded text is often overlooked by people - lectures often have an over important view of their own research, and almost always these are too specific and just unimportant to providing the wide overview required for an undergraduate degree.

For introductory modules in a degree I can see why having teaching-only lectures might be useful. However anything above that requires more in-depth mastery of a specific topic. Which is why active researchers in that field are used - they are up to date, and equipped to answer student's questions, and misconceptions that a general teacher could not.
Reply 29
Original post by Piprod01
I think the bolded text is often overlooked by people - lectures often have an over important view of their own research, and almost always these are too specific and just unimportant to providing the wide overview required for an undergraduate degree.

For introductory modules in a degree I can see why having teaching-only lectures might be useful. However anything above that requires more in-depth mastery of a specific topic. Which is why active researchers in that field are used - they are up to date, and equipped to answer student's questions, and misconceptions that a general teacher could not.

Exactly.

Even for PG-coursework students, I'd say, some of the content from these lecturers' 'ground breaking research' is still unsuitable to be used for teaching. You see, some of their research, new or mildly new, has still lots of gaps or holes that haven't been covered, and to put it in a teaching material can be difficult. Also, references can also be poor since no further research has been done to confirm or verify their own new research, thus lacking other potential elaborate explanations that students might need to refer to.

Reserved those very specific research topics for thesis and dissertations, specifically for MSc/MA-Research and PhD students. For the wider audience such as the UG students and even MSc/MA-coursework students, just teach something mainstream and accessible is the best way to benefit all the fee-paying students so that they can understand the fundamentals, and actually used the fundamental knowledge when they are working.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by kka25
Then why pay them if they can't teach properly? Why assess the lecturer if the Uni thinks that they are not aiming for better quality in education but more for research? Here's the thing; you'd be utterly naive if you think most UG students will benefit from the lecturers' research. UG students are there to learn fundamental things from their degree; not something brand new that's out of this world. Therefore, if these educators can't even deliver basic content, then the question becomes, why pay them in the first place if all you do is study it yourself? Moreover, if you actually read research papers in education, universities basically provide a service - just like your nearest shopping mall. You pay these Unis to teach you something; and if you don't like it, or think it's utterly pitiful, then you have the right to ask for a better service, hence a better educator. That's why they have the quality assurance board.

Your attitude is right, but it's an attitude that people at Oxbridge, at least, are in many cases only just coming round to. There was an article this week in the Cambridge Student asking why we never question the quality of our lectures and suggesting that there ought to be a separate qualification they need in order to lecture and teach. Unfortunately, though, at present the lecturers' ability to lecture just isn't seen as that important. Hence why you end up with a crazy genius in a room lecturing to two people because no one else bothers to turn up. The majority of an academic's work, particularly here where the holidays are so long and the contact time isn't huge (though it's very high quality), is research, so they are hired on research. Universities are about research more than they are about teaching, or at least that's what most academics I've spoken to have thought. Teaching is indirect research... it's to nurture future researchers... to do research. The above poster who mentioned Oxford is right about Cambridge, too. The lectures in arts subjects aren't a large part of the course for a lot of people. Some people go to them all, I've been to about 4 this year, because I don't find them as efficient as reading on my own (partly because I drift off...). The real learning here in arts subjects is done on your own or in supervisions.

I have to disagree about the benefit of research to undergraduates, though. In some subjects where there's more of a cumulative learning style this might be true (you can't get at cutting edge maths research until you understand all the rest of it... I think someone told me they're up to about the 80s by 4th year maths at Cambridge, but I may be wrong, and he was slightly joking), but I do philosophy and I've definitely benefited from the research of my supervisors. A lot of my work is based on papers which have come out in the last few years, and on unpublished work which I've discussed with supervisors. I don't feel like we're here to learn 'basic content' at all. You learn basic content on your own from books, you speak to academics to learn the cool stuff...

Though we did used to have a ridiculously pointless lecture series on logic in first year that was all basic stuff... the guy just read out his book, so it was way more useful just to read the book in half the time. (Said lecturer no longer teaches for *cough* legal reasons.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Bimbleby
Your attitude is right, but it's an attitude that people at Oxbridge, at least, are in many cases only just coming round to. There was an article this week in the Cambridge Student asking why we never question the quality of our lectures and suggesting that there ought to be a separate qualification they need in order to lecture and teach. Unfortunately, though, at present the lecturers' ability to lecture just isn't seen as that important. Hence why you end up with a crazy genius in a room lecturing to two people because no one else bothers to turn up. The majority of an academic's work, particularly here where the holidays are so long and the contact time isn't huge (though it's very high quality), is research, so they are hired on research. Universities are about research more than they are about teaching, or at least that's what most academics I've spoken to have thought. Teaching is indirect research... it's to nurture future researchers... to do research. The above poster who mentioned Oxford is right about Cambridge, too. The lectures in arts subjects aren't a large part of the course for a lot of people. Some people go to them all, I've been to about 4 this year, because I don't find them as efficient as reading on my own (partly because I drift off...). The real learning here in arts subjects is done on your own or in supervisions.

I have to disagree about the benefit of research to undergraduates, though. In some subjects where there's more of a cumulative learning style this might be true (you can't get at cutting edge maths research until you understand all the rest of it... I think someone told me they're up to about the 80s by 4th year maths at Cambridge, but I may be wrong, and he was slightly joking), but I do philosophy and I've definitely benefited from the research of my supervisors. A lot of my work is based on papers which have come out in the last few years, and on unpublished work which I've discussed with supervisors. I don't feel like we're here to learn 'basic content' at all. You learn basic content on your own from books, you speak to academics to learn the cool stuff...

Though we did used to have a ridiculously pointless lecture series on logic in first year that was all basic stuff... the guy just read out his book, so it was way more useful just to read the book in half the time. (Said lecturer no longer teaches for *cough* legal reasons.)

Regarding the crazy genius who came to lecture but only one or two turned out; I had the exact same experience! The main lecturer told us that this guy will be teaching the next topic and she claimed that he's a genius. So all of us anticipated a very good lecture from this so called genius; turned out it was one of the worst lecture we ever attended - the guy can't teach; have very poor presentation skills; talks to the whiteboard; assumes we know what he's talking about and just plain boring really. Once he even recorded himself by setting up a video camera in-front of us to self asses himself because the feedback from the students was overwhelmingly negative; I felt sorry for the guy, and at the same time, completely lost respect with my department because they've hired a complete noob to teach fee paying students.

It is true teaching is indirectly research, but teaching is also teaching and research is just research; got what I mean?

I know what you mean regarding the cutting edge research and the benefits to the students but when the teaching materials are full of holes and gaps and the researches themselves can't explain it that well, I don't see the point including and teaching it to students who barely knew anything about it or haven't even grasp the fundamentals yet =/

Read from the book? :eek: I had one who read from the book when I was in school and another one who read the slides when I was in my 3rd year. It was one of the worst modules I've ever taken. If I could turn back time, I'd make a complain letter to the head of department and remove the particular educator because these type of people are just a waste of brain power and time =( What happened to the lecturer if you don't mind me asking?
(edited 11 years ago)
I do PPE. Most lectures are intended to be a brief overview of the topic and for this the Politics and Philosophy lectures are excellent. It's possible to get the gist of all of first year politics just from the lectures. Philosophy was too slow for my taste; an hour's lecture wouldn't cover much in depth or breadth. Economics is far worse though. Asides from 'Micro overlord' Ian Crawford, the lectures are terrible. In second year we had lectures on basic differentiation and integration, I kid you not!
Reply 33
Original post by mournfulpirate
I do PPE. Most lectures are intended to be a brief overview of the topic and for this the Politics and Philosophy lectures are excellent. It's possible to get the gist of all of first year politics just from the lectures. Philosophy was too slow for my taste; an hour's lecture wouldn't cover much in depth or breadth. Economics is far worse though. Asides from 'Micro overlord' Ian Crawford, the lectures are terrible. In second year we had lectures on basic differentiation and integration, I kid you not!

How terrible is terrible mind me asking?
Original post by kka25
How terrible is terrible mind me asking?

In general: slow paced and not very informative. Too much focus on graphs of historical trends and silly metaphors rather than actual theory for instance. I'm usually better off simply reading the textbooks, although they do put all econ lecture slides online which gives the core of them, even to those who don't attend, and allows a quick easy summary.
Reply 35
Original post by SunderX
Nope, it honestly does sound you're fishing for negs, otherwise you'd have phrased the question in a much less confrontational and obviously superlative manner. e.g.:

Spoiler

And to answer: yes, some of the lectures I have attended have been dire, as in literally not worth going to. And some of them have been excellent, riveting and truly insightful. Most are in between somewhere. And like previous posters, I do agree that lecturers are generally hired on the basis of research instead of teaching skill, and TA-type positions are rare.

We accept as a matter of course some lectures are going to be ****, but the supervision system really does provide an excellent second layer of teaching that helps cover any deficiencies in lectures.

Of course, it actually does depend on the content of the lecture itself. I actually have fallen asleep in some 9AM Maths ones before.

Nope, once again read b4 you answer. It will save you embarrassment. Still looking for answers as to why the lectures are such horrendous quality for so called world class institutions.
Reply 36
The lectures were ridiculously disappointing. It's not as though I was expecting to leap out of my seat with joy at the end, but they show no passion for the topic. Look at harvard cs50 or the justice series. They bring you into the lesson. The oxbridge lectures look horrible for those within the room and for those watching online.
Reply 37
Original post by Sharri5
The lectures were ridiculously disappointing. It's not as though I was expecting to leap out of my seat with joy at the end, but they show no passion for the topic. Look at harvard cs50 or the justice series. They bring you into the lesson. The oxbridge lectures look horrible for those within the room and for those watching online.

Any links for the vids?
Reply 38
Original post by Sharri5

Some of the Stanford ones are blazingly good. I think maybe standards are higher in the top US universities because of consumer-pays pressure and parental pressures on those institutions.

As someone not at Oxbridge I can definitely attest to the variable quality of teaching outside Oxbridge. What is interesting is that Cambridge students (with Oxford not far behind) routinely in surveys place Cambridge top in terms of satisfaction, yet you often hear about dissatisfaction in lecture standards there; I have a cousin at Cambridge currently and she expresses similar views. Perhaps the sheer cachet of being at one of the two "leading" universities outweighs what you actually get served when you get there.

Before I get accused, I freely admit that I applied to do Law at Cambridge but didn't make it. :smile:
Reply 39
Oxbridge must change their online education approach if they want to move into the 21st century

Latest

Trending

Trending