The Student Room Group

Should students have a car at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joinedup
mmm. If you don't count:
buying the thing in the first place, insurance, road tax, mot's, servicing and depreciation.

I bought it outright a couple of years ago (second hand from an auction). I don't pay road tax on it because of its low emissions. I pay just under £700 insurance a year, which would allow me 9 one-way or not quite 5 trips to and from home on the train a year, and I do more than that. Plus once I've factored in time (4-5 hours train, 2-3 hours car), it's a big saving on that side. I don't bother with depreciation as I never plan on selling it (I'm going to run this one until it won't physically move anymore), its MOT isn't due yet and I don't think paying about £200 a year for servicing is a bad deal.

I would be paying more per year in train trips (£140 for one round trip, say I go home a max of ten times a year including holidays then thats £1400) than I currently do for insurance and servicing (£900), so it works out best for me! And I'm not factoring in the amount in public transport costs to get to collections and archives at Winchester (£5-6 train, about £2, probably less, car) and other places in Hampshire.

This won't work for everyone - as I said before, mine is an eco-car. If it wasn't the savings margin wouldn't be as much, if there'd be one at all, but believe me when I say I did a lot of research into this before I sprang £7k on a car!!

Oh and I also get society activites discounted - £7 rather than £20 say for a day out - for driving people. I save more money on the activity than I spend on petrol, so also works out very nicely in that respect too :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Tanmayee
Thanks for all the responses :smile: I suppose I'll still need a few opinions before I make up my mind for good, though.

Also, I'm applying to Cambridge, Sheffield, Imperial, UCL and Loughborough. Does anyone know anything about their specific student car policies etc? Nevermind if not, I'd still like some general information.

Cambridge dont allow you to have a car, (even if they did there are no damn car parks :angry:) the london ones would involve a lot of traffic, and parking hassle (when you could just use public transport) sheffield is fantastic for public transport and loughborough is a campus uni i think
I like having my car- it gives me the chance to get out of town and to go exploring with friends, plus it's invaluable when you want to do a big shop as a flat. The public transport here is poor, so it's quite a lifeline. It's also been handy for helping me do work experience placements in other towns.

First year, I wouldn't bother, but when you're renting in later years a car can be really handy. Next year we've got a driveway and everything, so it will even be off the road!

It's fantastic at the start/ end of the year too, when you want to ferry all of your stuff to and from uni.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tanmayee
Thanks for all the responses :smile: I suppose I'll still need a few opinions before I make up my mind for good, though.

Also, I'm applying to Cambridge, Sheffield, Imperial, UCL and Loughborough. Does anyone know anything about their specific student car policies etc? Nevermind if not, I'd still like some general information.

I don't think Cambridge allow you to have a car (there is no parking in the accessible parts of the city that doesn't cost a fortune anyway). And London there's no point. Don't know about Loughborough and Sheffield, sorry.
As most people have already iterated, it's generally not worth it.

It's a huge money sink, and not particularly useful except for the odd shopping trip and maybe trips home with stuff. Though with the money you can save from not having a car, you could easily go on a decent holiday, or improve your student life in other areas: nicer food, a decent PC, a good phone or whatever. Just something that isn't going to drain your cash simply sitting in the drive way. If you're going to have a car, do it in your third year anyway.
For most people, it's just not going to be worth it. There are almost always good public transport links between halls / uni / town, as so many people use that route. Of course, if you have placements then things may be different.

If you're part of a sports team that travels a long distance for fixtures, then it can be useful (people will chip in money for petrol), but it's not really a reason for taking one. Arguably, it's a reason for not taking one, because it means you have to drive for hours when knackered.

Although my own uni lets you buy a parking permit for halls, regardless of special circumstances e.g. disability. However, it costs about £125, there's not really any parking on campus / in town is pay & display only, congestion is horrific, and other services (e.g. big Sainsburys) are pretty much on your doorstep anyway. And a bus pass costs £185 for the year - much cheaper! TBH, often the fastest way to get around big cities is by bike - it lets you dodge all the congestion.

With regards to the unis that you're looking at, Cambridge is quite compact, so you won't really need to get in a car to go anywhere. If you want to get around that bit faster, then I'd suggest that there's a reason why cycling is so popular in Cambridge - it's as flat as a pancake. UCL and Imperial are both in central London, so between the congestion charge, congestion, lack of parking and the easy availability of good public transport, it's just not going to be worth it. I don't know anything about Sheffield, but Loughborough is a campus uni, a bit of a way out of town (although the bus links are decent), so this is probably only uni where a car would actually be useful.
I've had a car for the last three years at uni. I could park it at halls in first year (then I moved back home ) and as I'm a student nurse it has been brilliant for getting to placements which weren't always easy to get to by public transport. Also I visited home a lot. My parents are seperated and live a fair distance away from each other so having a car was brilliant for moving from one parent to another. Also my some of my friends live some distance away and it would be difficult to see them without being able to drive.

Basically having a car is incredibly useful for me as I do a lot of back and forth between different places. I'd be lost without it and having to rely on public transport would be very awkward.

But it all depends on the individual. A car will benefit some people and not others so it's important to weigh up the pros and cons carefully. :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by tallen90
Universities don't provide parking space for students living in halls

Some of them do, I know this as I went to Manchester which does provide parking to lots of students.
i would like my motorbike to be honest..too bad its in another country ;p
Original post by + polarity -
It seems really expensive to me, which is why I have avoided even learning to drive (that, and not being able to see over the dashboard :redface:)

how small are you??
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
how small are you??

Very.
Reply 31
Depends, if you like travelling at your own pace and with real ease then yes! How else will you go to well known clubs and events around the country, unless you prefer public transport :angry:
Obviously petrol is going to be a right nuisance but hey only take her out if it is necessary...nothing petty like going to the town centre, or if you in the halls.

I really need to get a license before I enrol for my course....
Reply 32
I do, live a while from uni and couldn't be without my car. In regards to public transport, I try to avoid using it, mainly due to bus/train fares are really expensive and I would rather be in comfort and drive my car.
What do you mean by 'should'? Are you asking whether morally/environmentally/financially/practically a student should have a car? Because there'll be different answers for each...
i'm still in my first year, and while we all complain that having a car would be nice, we've made it this far! I think you only need a car if you live really far from campus or if you have the money to throw around. I'd only bring a car up if transport really was an issue, otherwise I wouldn't recommend becoming your friends taxis!
It's not mandatory but it's definitely a benefit. I don't have one and it costs me £450 a year for my heavily discounted bus pass - this is obviously still cheaper than a car but you've also got to factor in that it can take public transport 45 minutes to complete a 10 minute car journey. That's not taking into account that public transport is usually always late.

Can't wait to get a car so I never have to use public transport again to be honest.
Reply 36
I have just bought my first car which I will be taking to uni in september because it is a rather remote location, in Aberystwyth (wales) you kind of need a car if you want to go somewhere outside Aber, will make shopping for food easier as well, save me having to carry lots of bags back up the hill to halls, and i will have my horse at uni, so will need someway to get to him
Original post by Kiwie
Depends, if you like travelling at your own pace and with real ease then yes! How else will you go to well known clubs and events around the country, unless you prefer public transport :angry:
Obviously petrol is going to be a right nuisance but hey only take her out if it is necessary...nothing petty like going to the town centre, or if you in the halls.

I really need to get a license before I enrol for my course....

It's not just the cost of petrol that makes it expensive, if petrol was the only cost then it probably would be worth it.

But, for an 18/19/20 year old male, you're looking in the region of at least £1500 a year to insure, potentially up to £3000 or more depending on where you are/how it's parked etc...A bit less for girls, but still in the £1500 region for a lot. You also have MOT costs, which can be lowered by buying a sturdy car, but that'll likely cost you more than a cheaper car which will need more work for an MOT. Then road tax, and then petrol.

Alternatively you could go for a bus pass for a couple of hundred quid depending on where you are, and just spend a little more time planning your journey.

If you're going to be going on placements and stuff then it might be useful, but big shopping lists can be delivered, or you can take a taxi, a few train tickets a year may cost a few hundred quid if you live further away.

Some people get their use out of it with eco cars and/or regular trips home on what would be expensive train routes, or through placements etc...or those who live a bit further away may need one, especially students living at home. It'll be a massive cost for most students though, on top of accommodation costs which nearly wipe out most students.

Obviously though, if you can get someone else to pay insurance and stuff for you, then it's well worth it, and will only cost as much as you use it.
Reply 38
Sooo if I have to drive home every weekend from, say, Cambridge (fingers crossed!), it'd probably just be cheaper to stick to the X5 or something?
I don't see how having a car would benefit me at all here. Everything is in reasonable walking distance and as much as i hate taking the bus, i know that if i need to it will be reliable and on time. You can just get the weekly shop delivered and i doubt most people will be going home enough to justify keeping a car for that purpose.

The only people i know who brought their cars to uni are female (thus benefitting from really cheap insurance) or have rich parents who are footing the bill.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending