The Student Room Group

Economics Applicant Thread UCAS 2012 mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Tateco
But being in a different country will be amazing, shame there isn't more of a culture of British students going to America. What are the conditions of your offer and how much will you be paying?

I know right! Yeah when I told my friends they were like huh? Its not as common as I thought it would be. My conditions are unclear: 'Maintain you academic standing' apparently you shouldn't drop your grades significantly still not sure :s-smilie:
I will be paying pretty low tuition fees of $14,000 with $5,000 bursary. Essentially, it will be cheaper than a British Universities for me. :biggrin:
Reply 581
Original post by jamiepango
Yes the fact it was an easy paper makes it worse. I think I got around 69 also :s-smilie:

My mistake is worse. I used the product rule instead of the quotient rule. 3/4 marks gone :eek:

Was this OCR? I mucked up the trig question when I did it in January (must have lost about 4 marks in total), and I still got 99 UMS, don't give up hope.
Reply 582
Original post by Yash13
I know right! Yeah when I told my friends they were like huh? Its not as common as I thought it would be. My conditions are unclear: 'Maintain you academic standing' apparently you shouldn't drop your grades significantly still not sure :s-smilie:
I will be paying pretty low tuition fees of $14,000 with $5,000 bursary. Essentially, it will be cheaper than a British Universities for me. :biggrin:

Nice :biggrin: Good luck with it all!
Reply 583
Original post by Tateco
Nice :biggrin: Good luck with it all!

Thanks man! :smile: Good luck with your exams. Now back to Macro Revision/procrastination lol.
Original post by Tateco
Was this OCR? I mucked up the trig question when I did it in January (must have lost about 4 marks in total), and I still got 99 UMS, don't give up hope.

It was the Edexcel paper. Yea sometimes the result is much better than expected. 99 is impressive though! What maths exams do you have to sit this summer?
Reply 585
Original post by nightmare91
It was the Edexcel paper. Yea sometimes the result is much better than expected. 99 is impressive though! What maths exams do you have to sit this summer?

Oh right. Edexcel seems ridiculous with the grade boundaries, quite unpredictable.

I've have C4 and S2 left but I have already sat M1 and D1 (the former went much better than the latter).
I found the paper quite easy except the trig question. My mind indeed went blank and I kept mixing up the identities... The a) part was weird anyway. Expressing it in terms of cos(theeter????) and sin(again greek letter). There is more than just one possibility... I suppose I will get some M marks but other than that, I will lose at least 4 marks there... Hopefully I'll still get 69 or 70 out of 75 if I didn't make any silly mistakes (which always happens somehow :tongue: )

So guys are you ready for C4? Although I will only have one week to revise for it I feel much more comfortable with it than with C3.

At least you don't need an A* for your offer. I'm not even going to bother revising for my Economics and Chemistry exams now. Pressure is on for C4 :frown:

Original post by Tateco

No it was Edexcel. Grade boundaries don't change much for them, so I have to rely on C4 now...
Reply 587
At least you don't need an A* for your offer. I'm not even going to bother revising for my Economics and Chemistry exams now. Pressure is on for C4 :frown:

No it was Edexcel. Grade boundaries don't change much for them, so I have to rely on C4 now...

Yeah sorry I realised now someone said :frown:

If Economics and Chemistry are pretty much guaranteed just throw everything into C4 and destroy it :smile: Good luck.
Original post by Tateco
Yeah sorry I realised now someone said :frown:

If Economics and Chemistry are pretty much guaranteed just throw everything into C4 and destroy it :smile: Good luck.

Thanks, I can only try my best :redface:

Better spend less time watching the Euros and Tennis.... After tonight of course :colondollar:
Reply 589
Thanks, I can only try my best :redface:

Better spend less time watching the Euros and Tennis.... After tonight of course :colondollar:

Exactly, everyone has bad exams, just forget about it and focus on the next thing.

Yeah you can afford to have 2 hours off tonight :wink:
Original post by Tateco
Oh right. Edexcel seems ridiculous with the grade boundaries, quite unpredictable.

I've have C4 and S2 left but I have already sat M1 and D1 (the former went much better than the latter).

Edexcel is unpredictable anyway. Almost every year they bring in one new kind of question (which is not bad) but they are sometimes just sooo weird. It's usually not about how good you are in mathematics but how well you understand the examiner who wrote the paper...

D1 is so annoying. I took it in May. Somehow I managed to do really well in it though. But we'll see... Good luck with C4 and S2! I am sure you'll do great!

I am sorry mate... But just concentrate on C4 now. I think C4 is more predictable anyway. Those Vector questions are always the same and once you've fully understood the integration questions, you will certainly do well. :smile:
Reply 591
Edexcel is unpredictable anyway. Almost every year they bring in one new kind of question (which is not bad) but they are sometimes just sooo weird. It's usually not about how good you are in mathematics but how well you understand the examiner who wrote the paper...

D1 is so annoying. I took it in May. Somehow I managed to do really well in it though. But we'll see... Good luck with C4 and S2! I am sure you'll do great!

Yeah a lot of Maths can be like that sometimes!

My D1 exam was horrible, god knows how it went! Thanks, hopefully they're fine :smile:
Original post by Tateco
Yeah a lot of Maths can be like that sometimes!

My D1 exam was horrible, god knows how it went! Thanks, hopefully they're fine :smile:

:lol: D1 misread the last question like 4 times and spent 30 mins on it (thank god I rushed the rest of the paper) :facepalm: - but the grade boundaries will probably be low and Isually that works in my favour because Ill always make some stupid mistake :s-smilie:
Reply 593
Original post by tooambitious
:lol: D1 misread the last question like 4 times and spent 30 mins on it (thank god I rushed the rest of the paper) :facepalm: - but the grade boundaries will probably be low and Isually that works in my favour because Ill always make some stupid mistake :s-smilie:

The last question was just awwwwwwful. What are the initials of the school you go to? (I was looking at some league tables earlier and one of them sounded familiar)
Reply 594
Original post by Tateco
Exactly, everyone has bad exams, just forget about it and focus on the next thing.

Yeah you can afford to have 2 hours off tonight :wink:

It's been 4 hours a night every night since Friday if you're truly committed...
Reply 595
Original post by Acerbic
It's been 4 hours a night every night since Friday if you're truly committed...

Haha, I've watched every one I have been interested in, some just aren't worth the effort.

I am sorry mate... But just concentrate on C4 now. I think C4 is more predictable anyway. Those Vector questions are always the same and once you've fully understood the integration questions, you will certainly do well. :smile:

Thanks :smile: Yes it's all about cutting out those mistakes and making sure you're ready on the day. Good luck for C4!
Reply 597
Seems quite a few people sat the C3 paper on Thursday!

Not looking forward to Macro or C4 though.. Certain vector and integration questions have the capability of driving me insane.

I'm assuming you guys heard about the C4 paper being leaked out to Egyptian students? :tongue:
Reply 598
Original post by Hemzo
Seems quite a few people sat the C3 paper on Thursday!

Not looking forward to Macro or C4 though.. Certain vector and integration questions have the capability of driving me insane.

I'm assuming you guys heard about the C4 paper being leaked out to Egyptian students? :tongue:

I prefer C4 to any of the maths modules, seems straightforward - just got to cut down on stupid mistakes like getting signs (-/+) mixed up.

Don't mind macro, kind of like having a case study. Are you doing OCR?

Yeah, heard about that - my dad used to work at the British council when we lived in Cairo! To be fair, I'm surprised mistakes like that hadn't occurred more often.
Reply 599
Original post by FDR
I prefer C4 to any of the maths modules, seems straightforward - just got to cut down on stupid mistakes like getting signs (-/+) mixed up.

Don't mind macro, kind of like having a case study. Are you doing OCR?

Yeah, heard about that - my dad used to work at the British council when we lived in Cairo! To be fair, I'm surprised mistakes like that hadn't occurred more often.

That and remembering to divide/times numbers when there's a question about differential equations :tongue:

Guess you can relate more to it because it's always in the news, but I'm fearing globalisation if comes up. I'll be happy with a fiscal policy question though! Nope, I do AQA :smile:

I just hope the substitute paper isn't harder than the original paper they were going to give us!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending