The Student Room Group

To those who took Further Maths...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I got a B at (I'm on track to get an A in FM this year)

I took it as I wanted to strengthen my application for mechanical engineering.

If you like maths you should definitely take it, there's no downside to it. It also makes normal maths easier.
Reply 21
Original post by bobbricks
What grade did you get at GCSE?

Why did you take it?

Would you recommend people who love maths (but may find it difficult) take it at AS level?

If you took Additional Maths FSMQ and found it difficult, would you still have taken Further Maths?

B at GCSE.

Took it because I love maths. Am now doing Additional Further Maths. Predicted A*AB

Definitely take the AS if you enjoy maths. I was in the same position as yourself regarding wondering whether I should take it or not, and I'm very glad I did.

Why did you take it?

Would you recommend people who love maths (but may find it difficult) take it at AS level?

If you took Additional Maths FSMQ and found it difficult, would you still have taken Further Maths?

FP1 is very easy, and you can make the remaining two modules as easy as you like (choosing D1 and M2/S2 for instance). If you actually love maths, then you really ought to be doing the full A2; if you do actually love it, it isn't so much extra work, and the material in FP2 and FP3 is very rewarding to learn and enjoyable if you are so inclined, as is M3 and M4 (and probably M5 but I haven't done it myself).

Nevertheless, if you have a few free periods here and there, you should definitely do AS at least; it's an easy A if you are reasonably good at algebraic manipulation.
What grade did you get at GCSE? A

Why did you take it? Well, to begin with, I didn't. Then I realised I was enjoying ordinary maths and after C1 I had a flick through one of my friend's textbooks (FP1). Borrowed his S2 book and did the first chapter in a lesson. Asked my head of maths if I could borrow the 3 textbooks for the AS modules.

Would you recommend people who love maths (but may find it difficult) take it at AS level? Yeah. Enjoying a subject means you're willing to put more effort into it. Anyway, the only FM module that's exclusive at AS is FP1, and that's not about depth as much as learning other things.

If you took Additional Maths FSMQ and found it difficult, would you still have taken Further Maths? I was in FSMQ lessons, but my friend was being bullied so we ended up talking in lessons and eventually were withdrawn from the exam. Probably would still have taken it, as my GCSE had nothing to do with it anyway.

Original post by notnek
How about a bit of set theory? It appears at IGCSE but not even in FM for British students (unless the syllabus has changed).

I'm sure they could slot it in somewhere. I mean, are intrinsic coordinates that important?

There's an absolutely tiny amount of sets (when is a set a group, abelian groups, cyclics, subgroups) in FP3 on OCR, but I think that's the only one that does it.

Why did you take it?

A* at GCSE, I achieved A* in maths and further maths A level (got an A* in further maths by 0.5%....its how i do).

I took it because our school did not offer any other a levels that i feel i could've excelled in as well as this, and also i enjoy maths.

I would recommend it for people who love maths, as thats one of the key things you need to have to get through it.

However FP3/FP2 are extremely hard luckily you can avoid one of these by taking S2, D2 and M2
1. A* at GCSE

2. Enjoy maths and thought it might be useful for University.

3. You can just do AS maths & FM in Y12 and if you think A2 FM will be too hard then just drop it after AS and have the FM AS. FM AS is pretty easy, it is about the same as normal maths AS just some weird concepts that are a bit pointless, Eg. Proof by Induction.

4. No FSMQ
Reply 26
I got an A* at GCSE, and took Additional maths which I got an A in. I struggled with additional when we were taught it though and found it very challenging. I took further at the time because I was good at maths and knew I wanted to go into science (maths/chem/bio/phys) but not which one so took everything for those courses at AS. AS is hard, but nowhere near as difficult as people make out, if you enjoy maths an AS is a goood idea, it'll really help with A2 normal maths (and makes AS normal a walkover) and maybe even at university depending on the subject you do.
Reply 27
A*, everything is fine up except for fp2, and fp3. You can take AS further maths if you want, this includes fp1 and 2 other applied modules but not fp2.
1) A*

2) I have five reasons;

- I love Maths. That's possibly the most important.
- I knew I wanted to pursue a mathematical career and hence a mathematical course at university; I was thinking of Computer Science at the time.
- It's possibly the most respectable A-Level.
- I wanted to be in a class with the Asians, I don't like getting 'held back' and listening to people asking simple questions whilst I'm trying to surge through some material. I knew if I wanted to reach my potential, Further Maths was the subject that would give me the tools.
- Heavy work load. I like work. Lots of it.

3) Yes, you'll never know how good you really are until you try.

4) Tough one. I didn't do the type of Add Maths you're on about. I did another type and only got an A.
Reply 29
I got a B at GCSE, I didn't work hard at it and didn't really enjoy how simple and tedious it was. I chose FM because I really enjoyed AS maths, the way its presented is much more modern and you can really see the use of it. As for FSQM or whatever, I don't even know what that is but I was never offered it.
(edited 11 years ago)

A: A* I got it in 2 months :tongue:

Why did you take it?

A: I wanna learn Economics at uni, also I like maths and I am more likely to get much higher grade in it than any other essay based subjects.

A: I would especially you are passionate about it, if you try hard and learn the fundamental concept, then maths will be very easy, once you build up your fundamentals, then further maths is just a little extra more.

A: I never know the course until my year 11 results day, I went to a below average school where there simply won't be anyone who will pass FMSQ. FMSQ is considerably harder than both C1 and C2 at A level Maths. So I wouldn't be surprised if anyone who got A* in GCSE find it hard.

GOOD LUCK!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
-A

Why did you take it?
-Primarily because I enjoy maths I guess.

-People who 'love' maths generally don't really find it difficult (they tend to persevere when the topics become more difficult).
But generally yes.

-Didn't take FSMQ.
Reply 32
Original post by f1mad
-A

Why did you take it?
-Primarily because I enjoy maths I guess.

-People who 'love' maths generally don't really find it difficult (they tend to persevere when the topics become more difficult).
But generally yes.

-Didn't take FSMQ.

True although some people (like myself) like the thrill of the working out how to solve problems and the eureka moment that comes along with it. :smile:
True although some people (like myself) like the thrill of the working out how to solve problems and the eureka moment that comes along with it. :smile:

That is not someone who finds Maths "difficult"
Reply 34
Original post by TenOfThem

Indeed.
Reply 35
Original post by TenOfThem

Really? So how would you describe someone who does find Maths difficult? (just wondering) :smile:
Reply 36
A

Why did you take it?
Because I enjoyed Maths so wanted to do some more.

If you enjoy it go for it, you tend to work harder when you enjoy something.

Didn't do of FSMQ, never heard of it until I came on this site. :biggrin:
Really? So how would you describe someone who does find Maths difficult? (just wondering) :smile:

Someone who struggles to add because they cannot handle basic number bonds

Someone who cannot "learn" their tables

Someone who cannot "picture" the maths

^^^

These find maths very difficult

Someone who is working hard to remember enough to achieve a grade C at GCSE

Someone who does not have the capacity to apply knowledge to new situations (mathematically)

Someone can get GCSE grade C+ through practice, practice, practice but has no real understanding of the material

^^^

These find maths difficult

Those who have the capacity to think around problems

Those who enjoy the challenge of adapting to new solutions

^^^

These are not people who find maths difficult
I took it initially but dropped it around November time, thought it might be interesting to you.

I got an A* at GCSE

Took it because I was intending to take Psychology as one of my AS levels, so I wanted to make up for it by taking another respected subject - hence I was going 5 AS Levels. Turned out there was still space in one of the Physics sets at the beginning of the year so I didn't take Psychology in the end. I carried on with FM until I decided it was a bit unpleasant doing maths every single day, so I dropped it and took Art instead.

I would say if you love Maths it's a great choice, though I thought I really liked Maths after my GCSE years and ended up finding Further lessons insanely boring, mostly because we were doing Decision as part of the course (S1, C1 and C2 in normal maths, D1, D2 and FP1 in Further), but I really enjoyed FP1 for as long as I did it.

I did take FSMQ, and I would say that it probably helps more with the normal maths than with Further. I didn't think any of the concepts in FSMQ applied to FMaths. I thought it was ok difficulty wise but didn't get a brilliant grade because it was taught in a really dodgy way where half our class were taking the exam and half weren't so the teacher didn't focus on it much at all, and I chose to focus on my other subjects.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39

Someone who loves Maths could find it a challenge at times, but not difficult per se.

Quick Reply

Latest