The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm going to miss the deadline by at least a day on account of me being an idiot. When people say they get it weeks later and it messes up their living costs, is that when they miss it by a few weeks or can a couple of days make that big a difference? I'm not sure I'll be able to find a job by the time my course starts so I'm not sure how I'd be able to survive on nothing.
I've applied, but I didn't realise they needed my NI number until the application day (i've been a bit lax with keeping it up to date). Can i fill the NI number in at a later date?

And, just out of sheer curiosity here, for those people who DO miss the deadline or get their loan late, how exactly is the whole 'tuition fees' thing handled? Are the universities made aware of the fact that the person HAS been approved for a loan but it hasn't come through yet, or do people have to put down a few grand as an assurance/deposit?
Original post by hungryaardvark
I've applied, but I didn't realise they needed my NI number until the application day (i've been a bit lax with keeping it up to date). Can i fill the NI number in at a later date?

And, just out of sheer curiosity here, for those people who DO miss the deadline or get their loan late, how exactly is the whole 'tuition fees' thing handled? Are the universities made aware of the fact that the person HAS been approved for a loan but it hasn't come through yet, or do people have to put down a few grand as an assurance/deposit?

I actually can't remember them asking for my NI number last year but, as far as the tuition fees went for me as my loan was late (long story about that), they didn't ask me or hassle me or whatever. If you are worried about your course fee payment or rent (if in halls especially), your uni (like mine), will almost definitely have a support/student services department. They can both ring student finance on your behalf and ask when your money will come through (and if there's anything else you need to do), and they'll speak to (or tell you to speak to) course schools/leaders about course fees and accommodation on rent.
Best of luck with it all guys - I hope you don't get messed around like me (and my shredded birth certificate), did last year!
Reply 23
I've applied and done everything flawlessly, but on their part I've been one of those people affected by the glitch only putting me down for last years tuition fees. I've phoned them up 3 times and they just keep telling me they will get back to me, which they don't. Urgh, anyone have any ideas?
Reply 24
I did the application form ages ago but had delays getting the ID. Will that make payments late too? Is it everything for processing was meant to be in by the 31st?
Reply 25
Original post by Alexdaman93
I've done all the online application etc - and posted in the evidence. The evidence page says they've posted my birth cert. back (haven't got it back yet) but it says they're still waiting for something else to confirm my mother's marital status. I put them all in the same envelope. Could it be that they process them separately, so haven't updated to say they've seen the evidence for my mother? Obviously there's no way that I can send it back in before midnight tonight if they claim they haven't got it!

Rather worried.

I'm confident that by the time you pressed the submit button you don't have to worry about the deadline, I never heard of a situation where you need to get your evidence in before 31 May as is my situation as well where I haven't given in my Birth Certificate form in yet and it's really difficult getting a countersign for it, I don't know who does since my teacher/lecturer don't have the materials required and friends of my family are out of the question.
Just wondering; what DOES happen if you miss it? I've been having trouble with separated parents, where I legally 'live' blahblahblah, and I'm doing it by paper so I've not actually sent it yet. Apparently the deadline is more a convenience date, rather than a 'if it isn't in by then, you will get nothing' date. I'm just so worried about everything :frown:
Original post by jessepeanutbutter
Just wondering; what DOES happen if you miss it? I've been having trouble with separated parents, where I legally 'live' blahblahblah, and I'm doing it by paper so I've not actually sent it yet. Apparently the deadline is more a convenience date, rather than a 'if it isn't in by then, you will get nothing' date. I'm just so worried about everything :frown:

Basically nothing happens if you miss the deadline that couldn't happen if you stuck to it. It's touted as being the deadline to guarantee that you receive payments on time, but in reality the only year I didn't get my own funding in time was the year I applied before the deadline.
Original post by JongKey
To be fair this should've been done a while back, especially if you know your dad is self employed so paperwork would be different. Nevertheless that's besides the point now, try and get it in as soon as possible if you can. My dad is also self employed but i entered in his national insurance number and he had to enter in the information that would be the same for HM. He didn't need to send off any evidence because SFE cross check with HM and if the information is the same, it's all fine. Shouldn't that also be the same with you? It may not be though but it tells you at the end of the application anyway.

You would have thought it would have been a good idea to do it sooner but it wasn't actually possible, we didn't actually know the final figure for my dad's income until quite recently and from then in just provided more problems. Fortunately I got it in on time and everything is fine now, I was just quite annoyed that when I checked for the deadline nearer the beginning it said that you can apply up to a short while into your course, and then a few days before my college told me that the deadline was that week. It wasn't really clearly stated anywhere and had I not have been told, I wouldn't have known any different from what I read earlier in the year!
Reply 29
Original post by nikkiliannaa
You would have thought it would have been a good idea to do it sooner but it wasn't actually possible, we didn't actually know the final figure for my dad's income until quite recently and from then in just provided more problems. Fortunately I got it in on time and everything is fine now, I was just quite annoyed that when I checked for the deadline nearer the beginning it said that you can apply up to a short while into your course, and then a few days before my college told me that the deadline was that week. It wasn't really clearly stated anywhere and had I not have been told, I wouldn't have known any different from what I read earlier in the year!

You didn't know the deadline? That is incredible negligence on your college's part (and to some extent, yours :smile: ). My college made sure to tell us all a year early and sent us e-mails so often that it kind of got annoying lol. Nevertheless, i'm glad you got it sorted.
I sent mine off in time but didn't get the form for someone to counter-sign it until after the deadline and then my form ended up being passed from pillar to post because people lost their passports or forgot they didn't have passports and finally I've had it back yesterday and it's been sent off. Hopefully it won't affect payments too much!

I wouldn't have thought they'd make us go the whole year without funding because we missed the deadline (at least I'd hope they wouldn't) so hopefully yours will get sorted out :smile:
Reply 31
My DSA form is part of the finance application and I can't fill in the details until i've got a bank account, its the form that takes 14 weeks to process, so my DSA money would reach me a few weeks late when I am at university, I am not sure if the same is for the whole application. Plus I can't provide evidence yet because DVLA have my birth certificate and its taken 6 weeks already to get my provisional licence. Useless government.
Original post by JongKey
You didn't know the deadline? That is incredible negligence on your college's part (and to some extent, yours :smile: ). My college made sure to tell us all a year early and sent us e-mails so often that it kind of got annoying lol. Nevertheless, i'm glad you got it sorted.

One of my friend's brother decided he wanted to go to uni in august and was able to apply for it then so I guess I had that in the back of my head too, but I also read that you can apply for it until about 3 weeks into your uni course and still get it for the year so it wasn't my negligence, just the fact I was getting information from the wrong sources.
We weren't told by our college until the Monday I think it was of the week it had to be in, whereas with UCAS we had reminders literally everyday for about 2 months before the deadline. But hey ho. Done now!
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Most people don't receive their money until after the first week even if they applied way before the deadline because student finance need to confirm you have enrolled on the course and attended before they will send out any money. This was the case for everyone I asked not just myself, so it's best to save up your own money like you did so you can really enjoy yourself during fresher's.

I have no problem with not getting the money before I start for my living cost loan and maintenance grant as I have £1200 saved up from working and will be working a lot over the summer so I hope to get it to £2000 so having a rubbish freshers won't happen. :smile:
Reply 34
After all that I have done, trying to get a bank account for DSA etc, it may just turn out that I will not be entitled to DSA because my learning difficulty would supposedly not exist without any evidence to support my application I am totally ****ed! I NEED THIS MONEY!
Original post by nikkiliannaa
I have no problem with not getting the money before I start for my living cost loan and maintenance grant as I have £1200 saved up from working and will be working a lot over the summer so I hope to get it to £2000 so having a rubbish freshers won't happen. :smile:

With that much you'll have a great time! You'll have a lot more saved than most people that's for sure :smile:
Reply 36
I am hoping that my application will be okay. My Dad only just decided to tell me that he still hasn't sent off his proof of income. I am absolutely furious with him!
Original post by marcusfox
You only have to apply before the end of the academic year to get a loan for that particular academic year.

The deadline is simply to ensure you have funds in place for your course start date.

if you apply late you'll have to pay the first installment of tuition fees yourself, but when they finally get the money to you do they also reimburse you for the first installment of fees you paid yourself?

sorry to intrude :colondollar:
Original post by Dr.Galaxy99
if you apply late you'll have to pay the first installment of tuition fees yourself, but when they finally get the money to you do they also reimburse you for the first installment of fees you paid yourself?

sorry to intrude :colondollar:

Don't know. You will have to ask the university in question what their policy on this is. It's certainly possible that you can be refunded fees paid yourself when the tuttion fees loan comes through.
very useful post! ty for all the info everyone!

Latest

Trending

Trending