The Student Room Group

What happens if you miss the student finance application deadline?

I am an A2 student hoping to go to uni this september. I know the deadline for applying to student finance this year is 31st may. that's the end of this month. But what happens if you miss the dead line. someone i know said that if you miss the dead line and applied, you would still get the money, but it might be a few weeks or months late. eg- if i apply in july, i might be getting the money on january or february!!!!. wheras if i apply before the deadline (31st May, i will get the money on the start of the course.

is this true? if not, please correct me.:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep this is true. I have applied late before and I actually got the money on time! But yeah if you apply late they might pay it to you late, but you will still get it.
Reply 2
You only have to apply before the end of the academic year to get a loan for that particular academic year.

The deadline is simply to ensure you have funds in place for your course start date.
You will get it late.

Why delay? Apply now. If you're worried about you might change course/uni you can change your application.
Original post by lazy smurf
You will get it late.

Why delay? Apply now. If you're worried about you might change course/uni you can change your application.

It's not actually as simple as that. I'm having problems with my parents income because my dad is self employed so it's all well and good saying you can change your application, but if you can't complete it properly in the first place it's going to be difficult to do.
Reply 5
Original post by nikkiliannaa
It's not actually as simple as that. I'm having problems with my parents income because my dad is self employed so it's all well and good saying you can change your application, but if you can't complete it properly in the first place it's going to be difficult to do.

I completed my student finance a while back but sent it off as non-income assessed. My Mum is also self employed and SF sent me up the wall trying to get all the details to make it income assessed. It didn't help that my Mum mixed up the tax years and gave me the wrong info, meaning that I would be entitled to less. Unfortunately I sent the forms off and only then my Mum realised she'd given me the wrong info. Since then I sent a pre 12/13 tax assessment form off (as being self employed my Mum's income fluctuates) which calculates (based on predicted income) a current amount of which you are entitled to. We sent that in next day delivery post so hopefully they have it! I guess one 'saving grace' for me is that my declaration is in and my original non-income assessed docs have been processed so at least I will definitely get my student maintenance loan and tuition fee loan in place!
Reply 6
Guys why leave it at the last minute!!! There are people who haven't completed theirs. The deadline is Thursday. Student Finance site was down last Wednesday due to maintenance.
Reply 7
Original post by nikkiliannaa

To be fair this should've been done a while back, especially if you know your dad is self employed so paperwork would be different. Nevertheless that's besides the point now, try and get it in as soon as possible if you can. My dad is also self employed but i entered in his national insurance number and he had to enter in the information that would be the same for HM. He didn't need to send off any evidence because SFE cross check with HM and if the information is the same, it's all fine. Shouldn't that also be the same with you? It may not be though but it tells you at the end of the application anyway.
Reply 8
Original post by Derick B
Guys why leave it at the last minute!!! There are people who haven't completed theirs. The deadline is Thursday. Student Finance site was down last Wednesday due to maintenance.

Lol i know, i really don't get why people leave important applications like these to the last minute. Heck for me it would be about surviving at uni and i'm sure it's like that for a lot of other people, i don't know what i would do if my loan got delayed.
Reply 9
I'm also having a few problems with self-employed parents, plus student finance messed up my online application last week, so I had to get a form and re-do it! I was so pissed off at them :angry:
If I send my application, say, next week, would I get the loans in before end of september, which is when my term starts (at my firm anyway, at my insurance, the beginning of september) :s-smilie:
Reply 10
I've submitted my application and looked at status of application and it says that I need evidence of my identity because I want to provide birth certificate as proof, i don't have any other form of ID.

If my application's submitted that means I have done it by the deadline, right?

or does my evidence also have to be in before the deadline?
It's good to know I'm not the only person screwing up my application :daydreaming:
Reply 12
I was in a rush to get mine in so sent it off as non income assessed... Although I know I should have done it as income assessed. Does anyone know if that can be changed?? Done mine through student finance Wales so I've potentially done myself out of 5k :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
I filled my application after I got a place through clearing and I got the money 3 weeks after everyone else.
Its not that bad.
Reply 14
Original post by IAmTheKing
I was in a rush to get mine in so sent it off as non income assessed... Although I know I should have done it as income assessed. Does anyone know if that can be changed?? Done mine through student finance Wales so I've potentially done myself out of 5k :frown:

Yep, call them and they will send you some forms to send back to them along with the proof, only ads about 10 days to the application.
Reply 15
Original post by U.Ahmed
Yep, call them and they will send you some forms to send back to them along with the proof, only ads about 10 days to the application.

Brilliant, thanks!!
Reply 16
Worst thing about delaying the application is the effect it has on your financials for freshers.
If you do not get it in time, your freshers may be quite a **** one.
Luckily I had bee working throughout summer and had money saved up.

But yeah, sort it out ASAP guys, the first semester at uni is all about having fun but trying to establish your weekly costs etc and you can't exactly do any of that if you have no money.
Original post by U.Ahmed
Worst thing about delaying the application is the effect it has on your financials for freshers.
If you do not get it in time, your freshers may be quite a **** one.
Luckily I had bee working throughout summer and had money saved up.

But yeah, sort it out ASAP guys, the first semester at uni is all about having fun but trying to establish your weekly costs etc and you can't exactly do any of that if you have no money.

Most people don't receive their money until after the first week even if they applied way before the deadline because student finance need to confirm you have enrolled on the course and attended before they will send out any money. This was the case for everyone I asked not just myself, so it's best to save up your own money like you did so you can really enjoy yourself during fresher's.
I've done all the online application etc - and posted in the evidence. The evidence page says they've posted my birth cert. back (haven't got it back yet) but it says they're still waiting for something else to confirm my mother's marital status. I put them all in the same envelope. Could it be that they process them separately, so haven't updated to say they've seen the evidence for my mother? Obviously there's no way that I can send it back in before midnight tonight if they claim they haven't got it!

Rather worried.
Apparently my dad already has a customer registration number when he DOESN'T. Blajkhsdjkghasdjklghjlsgh gonna have to accept that I'm applying late!

Latest

Trending

Trending