The Student Room Group

Are They Any Mature Students Here? Students Over 28?

Scroll to see replies

I'm 29, starting Glasgow in September to study Chemistry! Scared is an understatement!
Reply 621
Hey all,
Well there are quite a few of us on here and reading about you all is both comforting and inspiring! I'm 35, married with two children aged 3 and 7. I've just completed an access course with 60 lvl 3 distinctions :-). Starting a bsc degree in countryside and environmental management at harper Adams uni in Sept, currently maintaining equal parts excitement and terror!
Original post by RobertsClan
I'm 38 and starting environmental science at Bangor in September

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just graduated from Bangor at the age of 32, heading back in to do a MSc next year. Best of luck, matey
Original post by Nu77y
Hey all,
Well there are quite a few of us on here and reading about you all is both comforting and inspiring! I'm 35, married with two children aged 3 and 7. I've just completed an access course with 60 lvl 3 distinctions :-). Starting a bsc degree in countryside and environmental management at harper Adams uni in Sept, currently maintaining equal parts excitement and terror!

Nice one
I'm 39. About to start BA in Illustration with Animation.
I'm 35 and will be attending Chester in September doing Counselling Skills with Theology and Religious Studies. I'm going to have to find a nickname for the course as it's a mouthful!
Hi folks :smile:

Im 33 and I graduted last year with a degree in Business. Whilst I feel proud of the achievement, I feel a little disillusioned the degree I chose. It is a very broad subject and has no vocational/technical element to it. Most grad jobs won't look at someone over the age of 30, wanting to employ the younger graduates. I did land a job working in Commercial real estate - not what I really wanted to do (I loved the idea of getting into management consultancy but again, age has been a problem), but gave it a shot and loved it. Sadly I was made redundant after 10 months and it knocked my confidence. Whilst I was working there I was thinking I need to think strategically about what I can become an 'expert' in, or, qualified in. My job in real estate motivated me to think about a career in Surveying - specifically Building Surveying as I have always loved architecture and always fascinated with the technical elements of building structures. That's when i thought about doing the MSC Surveying (conversion course). I thought long and hard about what i wanted to do with my career. Always loved IT but again, glass ceiling with age and gender limits entering the profession. Building surveying? You could say has the same limitations but easier to enter industry than IT (all programming jobs now).

So basically, the choice of the degree is essential - it needs to lead you onto a 'profession', so when you are looking for jobs, you can enter a profession in the search box of job sites..........
Reply 627
Hello There, I'm starting college this September for a year and a half to hopefully start a degree in 2016. I'll be 31 :P
Journalism.
Reply 629
Hi,
I've just completed an Access course and am about to start a degree in Psychology at the University of Hertfordshire... oh and I'm 45 years old..... very excited and a wee bit apprehensive.

Good luck to one and all :smile:
Reply 630
I don't think age is the most important issue. I think that it's all about what you have done up to that point and where you want to be after. For example, someone who left school and worked in the construction industry gaining experience for 15 years before starting a degree in construction management would not be the same as someone who left school, did a bit of this and that for 15 years and then decided to start a career in IT. I'm speaking from experience as I am the second person. Age is an issue but being realistic and not naive is more important
Hello fellow wrinklies :tongue: I will 41 when I start a Midwifery degree this September :smile:
Reply 632
Original post by Wozza1973
Hello fellow wrinklies :tongue: I will 41 when I start a Midwifery degree this September :smile:

I love the expression lol - where are you going to be studying?:smile:
Original post by NicolaHenderson3
I'm 35 and will be attending Chester in September doing Counselling Skills with Theology and Religious Studies. I'm going to have to find a nickname for the course as it's a mouthful!

CSTaRS! Pronounced 'see stars'... :biggrin:
Start at Sheffield Hallam University studying Bsc ( Hons ) Computing 39 married with 2 daughter's.
Original post by Welshbyrne
Just graduated from Bangor at the age of 32, heading back in to do a MSc next year. Best of luck, matey

Thanks. Can't wait to get started now just hoping as a mature student I don't stand out like a sore thumb. At the open day one of the peers guides assumed I was a parent not a prospective student. She was mortified when I said I wasn't a parent. I felt so sorry for her on the day but as it gets closer to the time to start I keep thinking about that and hoping it was a one off. Really don't want to make everyone feel like they've brought their mum to Uni with them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks. Can't wait to get started now just hoping as a mature student I don't stand out like a sore thumb. At the open day one of the peers guides assumed I was a parent not a prospective student. She was mortified when I said I wasn't a parent. I felt so sorry for her on the day but as it gets closer to the time to start I keep thinking about that and hoping it was a one off. Really don't want to make everyone feel like they've brought their mum to Uni with them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Know that feeling. at the open day I attended I went to the first talk in a lecture room about why you should choose the uni. I was shocked to see all the parents accompanying they teenage sons and daughters into the room I texted my wife to say lots of parents here she took it to mean I could of took our children. I had to explain lol. Iam sure we will be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I went to the Applicant day, three different people tried to prevent me from accessing the car park, explaining that it was "for prospective students only". That was pretty galling, as I hadn't even made it out of the car by that stage. I think explaining that "actually, I am a student" is going to get old very quickly.
32, Law with Foundation - Durham University

Posted from TSR Mobile

The oldest fella on my course was 57 and the oldest lass mid 40ish. No one really seems to care in truth. Some of my references may have flown past the younger ones heads but in my opinion, if you don't know who the Thundercats were, your not worth knowing. :smile:

EDIT: Actually just saw your doing Environmental science in Bangor. We're in the same department, I'm doing a Conservation MSc. Welome to SYNERGY
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending