The Student Room Group

What's your opinion on approaching guys? Do you agree with me or my friend?

Got in this massive conversation for hours with my friend because she says I don’t understand guys and all I need to do to get to know this guy I like is say “Hey, I know you from somewhere! We’ve definitely met!” and he will like that I talked to him and he will like me because guys like all the girls they can get, and if he doesn’t want to talk then he’s a dick and he doesn’t deserve me and it’s his loss.

I think she’s wrong and that if I like a guy I shouldn’t lie and say “I definitely know you from somewhere!” because he’ll think I’m weird because he knows I don’t know him, and I don’t want to make up that I think I know him when I don’t because is that going to be a good first impression and make him like me? No. And I think it’s my loss not his if he doesn’t like me because well, I really like him.

I think the first impression matters and she thinks it’s only a conversation starter so I can lie all I like and say that we spoke once before but he was drunk. I say that he’s probably going to know that he hasn’t really met me before and he’ll think I’m weird for saying that when it’s not true. She says, “and what have you got to lose? because if he doesn’t like you it’s not like you’re going to cry about it, you’ll find another guy easily!” and I’m secretly thinking, actually I probably am going to cry about it. And I don’t want other guys because they’re not him.

Just wanna know if you agree with any one of us, and what you're personal opinions are really =)
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
tbh i get were your mate is coming from, its an easy way to start the conversation and if it doesnt work out well atleast you tried
most people will understand that you dont actual know them its a pick up line so if their interested then they will go along with it
i also understand why you would feel a bit let down about gettin the knock back cause its nice but it does happen but you have to take a few risks now and then =]
the 'I know you from somewhere' seems a bit awkward. he doesn't know you from somewhere and will probs say 'no we've never met' and that will be the end of conversation, or for you to like him you must have seen him a few times in the past and he will just say 'yes, you walked past me yesterday/see me in class every week'.
where have you seen him from?
Original post by brunettegirl92
the 'I know you from somewhere' seems a bit awkward. he doesn't know you from somewhere and will probs say 'no we've never met' and that will be the end of conversation, or for you to like him you must have seen him a few times in the past and he will just say 'yes, you walked past me yesterday/see me in class every week'.
where have you seen him from?

Exactly my point. I've seen him a lot when I go out to the SU, and I smile at him and stuff but i'm finding it hard to speak to him because he's always with a group of friends that I don't know. I think if listen to my friend and go up to him in the SU and say "have I seen you somewhere before? I swear I know you from somewhere!" He'll just be thinking, "yeah. you know me from here."

I know a bit about him cuz I told my friend there was this really cute guy and she was like, is it this guy? and sent me his facebook. I didn't add him but I found out we like the same bands and we go to the same clubs and he's awesome. But I can't seem to talk to him because he's always surrounded by hot girls and I feel like I have to be super interesting and cool for him to be interested in me with better looking girls around.
Original post by hollyhollywood92
Exactly my point. I've seen him a lot when I go out to the SU, and I smile at him and stuff but i'm finding it hard to speak to him because he's always with a group of friends that I don't know. I think if listen to my friend and go up to him in the SU and say "have I seen you somewhere before? I swear I know you from somewhere!" He'll just be thinking, "yeah. you know me from here."

I know a bit about him cuz I told my friend there was this really cute guy and she was like, is it this guy? and sent me his facebook. I didn't add him but I found out we like the same bands and we go to the same clubs and he's awesome. But I can't seem to talk to him because he's always surrounded by hot girls and I feel like I have to be super interesting and cool for him to be interested in me with better looking girls around.

is there any way you could perhaps catch his eye or find a moment where he's alone? do you have any mutual friends?
you are interesting. you like the same stuff, therefore to him, you are probably very interesting.or will be when you talk to him. and if years of watching jeremy kyle has taught me anything, anyone can get laid/have a relationship. and tbh, the other girls' looks are only about perception. they look hot to you because they talk to him and you are worried he wants one of them. to him or anyone else, they may look as ugly as sin. hang out at one of his haunts; try the SU because you could be there anyway and you won't look like a stalker. if you see him on his own, even for a second, go and talk to him. just say hi and that you see him around a lot. ask if you can sit with him or chat. most guys will say thats fine. ask him what he's studying and things he likes. but dont orchestrate it that you only discuss things you have in common - then it looks like you've researched him/a bit creepy. even though everyone does it.
hang by the bar (if your in the pub) then even when he is with friends, you can talk to him when he leaves them to get another drink - alcohol is also a great social lubricant because people feel less inhibited to talk.
don't forget; if he has seen you around and you smile at each other he is probably curious too.
if this is difficult, see if you have any mutual friends and talk to them or hang with them - you might get introduced. then it is easier to approach him when he is with other people because he already knows you
Original post by xoxlovelifexox
is there any way you could perhaps catch his eye or find a moment where he's alone? do you have any mutual friends?

If we had mutual friends it would be easy but that's just the problem, we have no mutual friends! And I can never seem to catch him when he's alone.
Original post by Dubs_ski
Its one of the worst lines to go in with, unless of course it is true. Good looking women get this from hopeless clowns all the time. We're talking about the reverse though, but if a girl came up to me I would be put off by it, I have a very good memory and dont like lying, scheming bishes.

Would you not think it was nice that she was approaching you though, if you found her attractive? I understand you don't like lying but it wouldn't be coming from a bad place, it would just be because she wanted to get to know him. I would have thought that if she said something like that, even if it was a bit awkward, he would still respond well if he was attracted to her.
If we had mutual friends it would be easy but that's just the problem, we have no mutual friends! And I can never seem to catch him when he's alone.

i guess the only thing i can say is try and catch his eye, that could help a conversation spark. i feel sorry for you, that must be very tough, i've had a similar experience but somehow i managed to find the person on their own which was very easy and then i just approached them.
Original post by brunettegirl92

don't forget; if he has seen you around and you smile at each other he is probably curious too.

Well it's more like I smile at him and he makes eye contact with me and then we look away. If he'd smiled at me I would have approached him. And this odd thing happened where I was on the uni bus and there were loads of free seats, and he got on the bus and sat on the seat in front of me. I was about to talk to him, but then 2 minutes later he moved to the seat in front. I still can not work out why unless it was something to do with me...
Original post by Dubs_ski
Its one of the worst lines to go in with, unless of course it is true. Good looking women get this from hopeless clowns all the time. We're talking about the reverse though, but if a girl came up to me I would be put off by it, I have a very good memory and dont like lying, scheming bishes.

This, pretty much. It'll be super obvious you're lying.
A couple of weeks ago this guy did the 'haven't I seen you somewhere before?' thing to me. But then he asked me if I was on the Disney Channel or Hollyoaks :teehee: It was the most awkward thing ever, don't do it OP.
aww - it sounds like he might want to talk but is just a bit shy. try to hold your gaze a little longer than usual, but without staring. maybe you look away too quickly for him to smile back? holding eye contact, even for a split second longer lets him know you are interested in him - not necessaraly romantically, but just generally interested to know him. it also gives him time to make a decision on whether or not to respond.
Original post by SleepySheep
This, pretty much. It'll be super obvious you're lying.
A couple of weeks ago this guy did the 'haven't I seen you somewhere before?' thing to me. But then he asked me if I was on the Disney Channel or Hollyoaks :teehee: It was the most awkward thing ever, don't do it OP.

My friend said to me she's going to use that line on Wednesday to a guy of my choice and if it works and he likes her, then I have to do it to the guy I like. She keeps telling me he won't care what I say, guys just want girls, simple as that. We got into quite an argument haha! So I'll see how it goes for her!
I always approach the girl - it's what men do.
Reply 14
Got in this massive conversation for hours with my friend because she says I don’t understand guys and all I need to do to get to know this guy I like is say “Hey, I know you from somewhere! We’ve definitely met!” and he will like that I talked to him and he will like me because guys like all the girls they can get, and if he doesn’t want to talk then he’s a dick and he doesn’t deserve me and it’s his loss.

I think she’s wrong and that if I like a guy I shouldn’t lie and say “I definitely know you from somewhere!” because he’ll think I’m weird because he knows I don’t know him, and I don’t want to make up that I think I know him when I don’t because is that going to be a good first impression and make him like me? No. And I think it’s my loss not his if he doesn’t like me because well, I really like him.

I think the first impression matters and she thinks it’s only a conversation starter so I can lie all I like and say that we spoke once before but he was drunk. I say that he’s probably going to know that he hasn’t really met me before and he’ll think I’m weird for saying that when it’s not true. She says, “and what have you got to lose? because if he doesn’t like you it’s not like you’re going to cry about it, you’ll find another guy easily!” and I’m secretly thinking, actually I probably am going to cry about it. And I don’t want other guys because they’re not him.

Just wanna know if you agree with any one of us, and what you're personal opinions are really =)

I don't see anything wrong with approaching people you are interested in, no matter what gender you are, But you shouldn't lie. If you came up to me and said 'hey, I know you from somewhere', I would be like biiitch you crazy.

Best thing to do is to compliment them, or have something relevent to say to the situation that you are both in.
Original post by Frank Nero
I always approach the girl - it's what men do.

I've been giving him signs that he should approach me for so long! And he doesn't do anything.
Reply 16
Some guys, myself included often don't notice a girl's signals for a number of reasons. Just go up to him and talk to him, he may well be interested.
My friend said to me she's going to use that line on Wednesday to a guy of my choice and if it works and he likes her, then I have to do it to the guy I like. She keeps telling me he won't care what I say, guys just want girls, simple as that. We got into quite an argument haha! So I'll see how it goes for her!

Your friend is wrong, not all guys put girls on a pedestal, the idea that just because you're a girl you can get any guy you like is flawed (it might work for sex but not for friendships/relationships)

Btw op it seems like you have no choice but to leave your comfort zone and approach him. He clearly isn't picking up on your signals
Original post by Birdman1234567
Your friend is wrong, not all guys put girls on a pedestal, the idea that just because you're a girl you can get any guy you like is flawed (it might work for sex but not for friendships/relationships)

Btw op it seems like you have no choice but to leave your comfort zone and approach him. He clearly isn't picking up on your signals

Thanks! I definitely will approach him next time I see him!
I've been giving him signs that he should approach me for so long! And he doesn't do anything.

I'd approach you in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending