The Student Room Group

The big "Evaluate My Routine" thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by HFerguson
why no weights in the bodysculpt? and how are you finding intermittent fasting? :smile:

Because the only weights i have are 3lb :redface:
I have tried using them in the workout so i figure I'll add them when I get bored of no weights and want a challenge. :wink:
Plus weights seem a bit pointless to me. (Controversial, I know. Haha.)

IF is brilliant! I can finally eat food portions that keep my family happy and not gain weight so I'm happy! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
hey guys

starting Lyle mcdonalds routine today, going to take around a month to get calories up to bulking level and to get correct form but i will be doing the following. any changes? (NOTE: Thurs and Fri are repetitions of Mon and Tues, its a 4 day routine not 2)

Mon: Lower

Squat: 3-4X6-8/3′ (3-4 sets of 6-8 reps with a 3min rest) http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-squat

Straight Leg Dead Lift: 3-4X6-8/3′ http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/stiff-legged-barbell-deadlift

Leg Press: 2-3X10-12/2′ http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/leg-press

Leg Curl: 2-3X10-12/2′ http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/seated-leg-curl

Standing Calf Raise: 3-4X6-8/3′ http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/standing-dumbbell-calf-raise

Seated Calf Raise: 2-3X10-12/2′ http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/seated-calf-raise

Abs: Couple of Heavy Sets Crunch Machines

Tue: Upper

Flat Dumbbell Bench Press: 3-4X6-8/3′ http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/dumbbell-bench-press

Dumbbell Row: 3-4X6-8/3′ http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/one-arm-dumbbell-row

Shoulder Press: 2-3X10-12/2′ http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/dumbbell-shoulder-press

Pull-ups: 2-3X10-12/2′ http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/pullups

Tricep Skullcrushers: 1-2X12-15/1.5′ http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/lying-triceps-press

Bicep Curl: 1-2X12-15/1.5′ http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/dumbbell-alternate-bicep-curl
Reply 182
Hello TSR Fitness forum! Last year my parents bought me two dumbells each 3kg. I started off this year doing a workout of sit-ups and curls for a few weeks before a bout of depression.
It's been a long time but I've finally decided to start 'working out' again. However I'm not too keen on spending money on things like benches and sets of dumbbells etc. or going outside to run either (I can't afford any of the local gyms either). So I've basically created a workout for myself which lasts around 45 minutes and doesn't incorporate anything except a towel and my two dumbbells. I found a website with some nice descriptions of exercises with some diagrams, I basically took their list of viable arm exercises, sprinkled in a few of their abdominal exercises, and added a few basics like squats and press-ups etc.

Unfortunately this is basically the first work-out I've ever devised, I only do each exercise once in the order listed below with the reps listed below. I'm not sure if i should be doing more or less reps, or whether i should be doing them in sets, or whether I'm wasting my time with any of the exercises or neglecting any muscles, or if my dumbbells are too light or if I should have to start going outside. I don't eat a lot so I don't really have a problem with fat, however I don't weigh very much (120 pounds at 5'7) with BMI 18 which is low for my age (16). My Aim is to have a six pack and noticeably larger arms, as well as gain some weight. When it comes to working out I have no problem with pain, if im going to 'use up' time doing it, well damnit I'm going to make sure it actually makes a difference so I'm not wasting my time. (I barely manage the reps listed below, sometimes I end up taking a couple guilty breathes break towards the end)
Anyways here is my workout (I've been doing it every day for the past two weeks), as the thread titles suggests please tell me what I should change.

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Your routine is rubbish.
(edited 11 years ago)
Do you really expect to gain muscle lifting something that weighs just a bit more than a 4 pint bottle of milk?
Reply 185
Original post by Clickety
Hello TSR Fitness forum! Last year my parents bought me two dumbells each 3kg. I started off this year doing a workout of sit-ups and curls for a few weeks before a bout of depression.
It's been a long time but I've finally decided to start 'working out' again. However I'm not too keen on spending money on things like benches and sets of dumbbells etc. or going outside to run either (I can't afford any of the local gyms either). So I've basically created a workout for myself which lasts around 45 minutes and doesn't incorporate anything except a towel and my two dumbbells. I found a website with some nice descriptions of exercises with some diagrams, I basically took their list of viable arm exercises, sprinkled in a few of their abdominal exercises, and added a few basics like squats and press-ups etc.

Unfortunately this is basically the first work-out I've ever devised, I only do each exercise once in the order listed below with the reps listed below. I'm not sure if i should be doing more or less reps, or whether i should be doing them in sets, or whether I'm wasting my time with any of the exercises or neglecting any muscles, or if my dumbbells are too light or if I should have to start going outside. I don't eat a lot so I don't really have a problem with fat, however I don't weigh very much (120 pounds at 5'7) with BMI 18 which is low for my age (16). My Aim is to have a six pack and noticeably larger arms, as well as gain some weight. When it comes to working out I have no problem with pain, if im going to 'use up' time doing it, well damnit I'm going to make sure it actually makes a difference so I'm not wasting my time. (I barely manage the reps listed below, sometimes I end up taking a couple guilty breathes break towards the end)
Anyways here is my workout (I've been doing it every day for the past two weeks), as the thread titles suggests please tell me what I should change.

Spoiler

If you want to work out at home, look up a decent bodyweight routine. Don't use weights I could pick up with my little finger.
Hi, this is the routine me and my little bro are doing at the Gym. Just wanted someone with a little more knowledge than me to check it over, make sure we're not missing any major muscles out (or overworking any). Appreciate any feedback. Cheers!

Mon:Bench Press (flat): 4x8, Bench Press (incline): 4x8, Flys (free weights): 4x8, Skullcrushers: 4x8, Arm Extension (machine): 4x8, Abdominal Machine: 4x12, Tricep Pull Down: 4x8.

Tue:Usually go for a 1-2 hour bike ride.

Wed:Lat Pulldown: 4x8, Iso Lateral Low Row: 4x8, Assisted Chin Up: Varies, but usually try for 5x5, Lower Back Machine: 4x8, Bicep Preacher Curl: 4x8, Alternate Hammer Curl (seated): 4x8, Abdominal Machine: 4x12.

Thur:Usually go for a 20-30 min run.

Fri:Military Press: 4-5x8, Shrugs:4x8, Leg Press (machine): 4x8, Calf Press: 4x10, Seated Leg Curl: 4x8, Leg Extensions 4x8.

Weekend: Rest days.
Reply 187
Original post by Quadratic
Hi, this is the routine me and my little bro are doing at the Gym. Just wanted someone with a little more knowledge than me to check it over, make sure we're not missing any major muscles out (or overworking any). Appreciate any feedback. Cheers!

Mon:Bench Press (flat): 4x8, Bench Press (incline): 4x8, Flys (free weights): 4x8, Skullcrushers: 4x8, Arm Extension (machine): 4x8, Abdominal Machine: 4x12, Tricep Pull Down: 4x8.

Tue:Usually go for a 1-2 hour bike ride.

Wed:Lat Pulldown: 4x8, Iso Lateral Low Row: 4x8, Assisted Chin Up: Varies, but usually try for 5x5, Lower Back Machine: 4x8, Bicep Preacher Curl: 4x8, Alternate Hammer Curl (seated): 4x8, Abdominal Machine: 4x12.

Thur:Usually go for a 20-30 min run.

Fri:Military Press: 4-5x8, Shrugs:4x8, Leg Press (machine): 4x8, Calf Press: 4x10, Seated Leg Curl: 4x8, Leg Extensions 4x8.

Weekend: Rest days.

Get rid of the leg press and lower back machine and do squats and deadlifts. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with it as long as you are progressing.

Might want to get rid of the abdominal machine and do free weight ab work as well.
Original post by tooosh
Get rid of the leg press and lower back machine and do squats and deadlifts. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with it as long as you are progressing.

Might want to get rid of the abdominal machine and do free weight ab work as well.

I'll definitely be doing squats again when I get back to Uni. The problem is I'm not that great at them and so I don't really want the responsibility of teaching my brother, especially as he's got a bad back as it is. And to be honest my form is pretty poor so I don't want to risk it until I'm back with my gym partner at uni who knows what he's doing. Is there something else that I can be doing which will be more beneficial?

And never really done deadlifts before and I hear that getting the form right is crucial or you can damage yourself quite a lot. I don't particularly want to risk it and there's no one at the gym I can really ask. Will it matter too much? (It's something I can look at learning when I get back to Uni).
Reply 189
Original post by Quadratic
I'll definitely be doing squats again when I get back to Uni. The problem is I'm not that great at them and so I don't really want the responsibility of teaching my brother, especially as he's got a bad back as it is. And to be honest my form is pretty poor so I don't want to risk it until I'm back with my gym partner at uni who knows what he's doing. Is there something else that I can be doing which will be more beneficial?

And never really done deadlifts before and I hear that getting the form right is crucial or you can damage yourself quite a lot. I don't particularly want to risk it and there's no one at the gym I can really ask. Will it matter too much? (It's something I can look at learning when I get back to Uni).

Look up videos on youtube and film yourself. You won't injure yourself at the amount of weight you'll be lifting at the beginning even if it feels hard, as long as you don't do anything stupid.

I've been doing weighted lunges. If when you go up, you keep your knee in the same position and go forward instead of going up, so you end up in a normal standing position again, you will hit the posterior chain hard. Making it an ok substitute for now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 190
So I'm basically doing an all round routing with the main aim of weight loss/improve fitness.

15 mins on cross trainer.
15 mins on rower.

3x20 Leg Press
3x20 Leg Curl
3x20 Leg Extension
3x20 Chest Press
3x20 Lat Pull down
3x20 Shoulder Press
3x20 (Not sure what its called but I know its got rack in the name and its sitting frontways on the machine and pulling down a weight)

All of those are at around 5-7.5kg.

2x20 Sit up
2x10 Leg up/down thingy (holding up leg, bringing down, then up)
2x1 min Plank

20 mins on treadmill.

It's basically what the instructor at the gym told me to do, although today I only did 10 mins of treadmill, all I could do lol!

I'm 5 foot 3 and 9 stone if it counts.

So yeah, sound like a good routine? I'd be doing that about 3 times a week.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 191
Hey guys, I would just like a bit of help regarding my workout regime...
To give a bit of background info, I just turned 16, and have been working out reasonably seriously for 6 months. Looking to get more serious this year. I am 6'0 and weight exactly 10 stone.

My diet changes every day, but usually it'd go something like...

breakfast: 3 eggs, 2 slices toast
lunch : beans on toast
dinner: chicken or some other meat, with rice or pasta+veg.
snacks throughout day include : ham sandwiches, soup, fruit.

Is this enough, diet-wise? I'm probably averaging about 50-60g protein per day.

My workout is concentrated on the upper body, so over 2 days I do

10reps x 3sets x 14KG bicep curls
10reps x 3sets x5KG tricep curls ( i think they're called?)
20reps x 3sets wide-grip press ups
100 forearm curls, both types.
40 x 3 sets closed-grip press ups.

I also take about 3g creatine per day with my work-outs.

Will I pack on the muscle with this? What can I do to improve my gains?
Reply 192
Original post by kaneboy
Hey guys, I would just like a bit of help regarding my workout regime...
To give a bit of background info, I just turned 16, and have been working out reasonably seriously for 6 months. Looking to get more serious this year. I am 6'0 and weight exactly 10 stone.

My diet changes every day, but usually it'd go something like...

breakfast: 3 eggs, 2 slices toast
lunch : beans on toast
dinner: chicken or some other meat, with rice or pasta+veg.
snacks throughout day include : ham sandwiches, soup, fruit.

Is this enough, diet-wise? I'm probably averaging about 50-60g protein per day.

My workout is concentrated on the upper body, so over 2 days I do

10reps x 3sets x 14KG bicep curls
10reps x 3sets x5KG tricep curls ( i think they're called?)
20reps x 3sets wide-grip press ups
100 forearm curls, both types.
40 x 3 sets closed-grip press ups.

I also take about 3g creatine per day with my work-outs.

Will I pack on the muscle with this? What can I do to improve my gains?

You're only really training your arms and doing light-intensity callisthenics. I'd focus on improving your diet and trying to get a bit more protein before i started taking creatine (And creatine isn't going to benefit you a huge amount anyway at this stage).
The best advice i can give you to start adding more mass is to start doing heavy compound lifts. You could replace press ups with heavy bench presses.
Personally i'd get rid of the forearm work; isolating such a minor muscle is for pretty advanced trainees.
If you started deadlifting, your forearms would get enough of a workout anyway.
In short: Have a look at "Starting Strength", by Mark Rippetoe, or something similar.
Has anyone tried P90X? Is it a good routine to follow if you just want to get more athletic rather than big?
Original post by Isometrix
Has anyone tried P90X? Is it a good routine to follow if you just want to get more athletic rather than big?

If you want to get even 'slightly more muscle' you need to jump onto a mass building routine imo.

Not done P90X personally but from what I've seen from people I know, you'll lose size all over. But most of that will be fat and you'll become more toned. Depending on your starting point you might look athletic like a sprinter or like a distance runner.
Reply 195
Gonna bulk until around about Christmas

Height: 6 foot 2
Current weight: 78kg

Workout A:

3 x 6 bench press
3 x 5 leg press (no squat rack)
3 x 6 military press
3 x 8 dips
Press ups till failure

Workout B:

3 x 6 barbell row
2 x 5 deadlift
2 x 12 barbell shrugs
3x 6 chin ups/lat pull down
1 x 8 bicep curls

Will alternate between workouts 3 times a week. Will eat plenty and take protein shakes too. I'm mainly bulking for size but want decent strength gains too. Any comments/advice would be appreciated, thanks
Reply 196
I have been going to the gym for a month now and am looking to gain muscle and would appreciate if people could take the time to read my routine and give constructive criticism.

Day 1- chest, shoulders and triceps (3 sets, 10 reps of each)
benchpress
bar military press
shrug
pushups
diamond pushups
bench dip
dumbell fly
dumbell lateral raise

15 min cardio on treadmill

day 2-rest

day 3-back and biceps
chinup
lat pulldown
deadlift
barbell bent over
standing biceps curl
concentration dumbell curl
one-arm row

day 3-rest

day4-legs and abs
squat
lunges
calf raise
ab crunch machine
bicycle kick
sit-ups
crunch twist

rest of week-rest

I am 5ft 7 and weigh about 9 stone. I eat about 2,500 cals a day including about 70/80 grams of protein.

Thanks for reading
Reply 197
Tooooo much. Your attempting 240 reps on day 1 :/
Reply 198
rubbish. constuctive criticism: dont make up ur own routine after going to the gym for 1 month.

diet: needs more cals and more protein.
Reply 199
You want rougly 1.2g protein per pound of bodyweight. Your only 126 pounds so you want around 150-160g protein. Your bmr is around 1500 cals. So ideally aim for 2000-2500 cals. If you have between 100-150g of fat then just fill the rest of the cals up with carbs. Simples.

As regards to your routine. Personally im all for full body routines but people seem to find it too complicated.
If your doing a split then do like monday wednesday thursday and have like 2 compound exercises for each muscle group and maybe add an isolation exercise at the end. I wouldn't recommend more than 5 exercises a session if your just starting

Quick Reply

Latest