The Student Room Group

The big "Evaluate My Routine" thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mark85

Mark, my angel, my saviour, thank you so, so so much! It's definitely true, I have no patience for anything. When I went running 4 times a week, I actually hoped I'd always see results the morning after 8) hahaha. Nope not "over weight" as such, my BMI is smack bang in the "normal" region, but being quite the shorty, I just feel I look obese.

So how does this sound: I'll keep a food diary for a month, and then go to MyFitnessPal or whatever it is, and calculate how many calories I consume on average / day. My NEXT question then is, do I keep a food diary whilst eating normally to see how many calories I normally consume, or do I keep the food diary while I'm trying to eat healthier / more mindful? And from then on, as you say, just start cutting a fifth of it out?

Also, please bare with me, I know this might be a daft question, but when you say plenty of veg and fruit, does it matter if it's all the same kind? I just have a love for berries, and so does it matter, if my consumption of fruit is purely this? Also, how do you even fats? I'm not a huge meat eater, I love my vegetables, fish, BREAD (oh god, I love bread, it's my main weakness).

Christ. Almighty. Are you the king of weightloss? 2.5 stone?! Do you mind me asking, how much you weighed initially or if you were particularly overweight?

How should I be measuring fitness / weight? Should I measure my abs / ass (sounds weird, right?), or getting on the scales? I just dont want to become to obsessed with the number on the scales you know?

Thank you thank you thank you so much!
Reply 381
Original post by ameelia22
Mark, my angel, my saviour, thank you so, so so much! It's definitely true, I have no patience for anything. When I went running 4 times a week, I actually hoped I'd always see results the morning after 8) hahaha. Nope not "over weight" as such, my BMI is smack bang in the "normal" region, but being quite the shorty, I just feel I look obese.

This is the point - if you take on too much and end up spending loads of time doing stuff you don't like or force yourself into doing too much, then it just won't be sustainable. You have to concentrate on that aspect first because at the end of the day - if you can't hack doing for more than several weeks, you aren't going to improve anything.

Also, bodyweight and height can be a funny thing. I mean, my BMI is 23, also about in the middle of the range but I am really quite lean but at the same time not that muscular. If I lost weight and ended up in the low end of healthy BMI, I am sure I would start to look very unhealthy.

So how does this sound: I'll keep a food diary for a month, and then go to MyFitnessPal or whatever it is, and calculate how many calories I consume on average / day. My NEXT question then is, do I keep a food diary whilst eating normally to see how many calories I normally consume, or do I keep the food diary while I'm trying to eat healthier / more mindful? And from then on, as you say, just start cutting a fifth of it out?

I wouldn't be too fussy about it. I mean, you don't have to radically change things up, just gradually change your diet to incorporate all of the good stuff. The idea is just to get some notion of how much you are eating and what that is doing for you. The whole point is just to get a starting point so you can adjust from there. Ideally, I would try and aim to maintain your weight for at least a couple of weeks and then you are in a good starting point.

It doesn't even have to be in calories, you can quantify stuff by food type. I mean, I never bother to differentiate between say rice, pasta, bread and potatoes - I just think of them all as starches and know what an equivalent amount of each is in terms of calories. There is no point in being too accurate and I think it is actually better to just educate yourself about food rather than look everything up.

Also, please bare with me, I know this might be a daft question, but when you say plenty of veg and fruit, does it matter if it's all the same kind? I just have a love for berries, and so does it matter, if my consumption of fruit is purely this? Also, how do you even fats? I'm not a huge meat eater, I love my vegetables, fish, BREAD (oh god, I love bread, it's my main weakness).

Again, as long as it is sensible. Vegetables are generally more important than fruit. The idea is just to try and get balance so that from many different types of foods you pick up all of the nutrients you need. Again, you are just gradually improving your diet so if you never eat anything green for example, even a piece of lettuce and an apple a week is an improvement. Most people are going to stick mostly to the foods they like and in general, it isn't a massive problem. Personally, I am quite a fruit fan and like to try different stuff but I tend to stick to having the same kind of veg most of the time (cabbage, lettuce, carrots, peas and green beans form a large bulk of the veg I eat).

I don't know what you are asking about fats? That is a bit of a tricky one - past a certain point, eating more fat doesn't have any extra benefit aside from more energy in your diet but if you cut it out too much then it becomes bad for you. Just try to regularly include small portions of fatty foods in your diet each day. Dairy products like milk, cheese, full fat yoghurt and eggs are always good since aside from the fat, they are a good source of important minerals and minerals. A good general guide as to a balanced diet can be found on the NHS healthy eating page (just google NHS nutrition guide or something like that). Once you figure out the proportions, the rest is about working out portions that work for you.

Christ. Almighty. Are you the king of weightloss? 2.5 stone?! Do you mind me asking, how much you weighed initially or if you were particularly overweight?

No. I didn't do it optimally - I was overzealous at first and learnt more as I went along. After being skinny for most of my life, at 27, heavy drinking caught up with me and I climbed up to 13 stone at 5'7". Essentially my only food groups were Greggs, Kebabs and Beer. I just got into a rut of not being as active as I had been and drinking more and it piled up. Weirdly enough, even when I look at photos now, I didn't actually look mega fat (luckily I have quite good bone structure - narrow hips and fairly wide shoulders and that hides it well) but my face was certainly getting chubby and with my shirt off, there was no hiding the gut.

Basically, just cutting out booze meant that fat was literally dripping off of me. Luckily, the more overweight you are the less harmful it is to lose lots of weight quickly but once you get leaner, it will catch up with you and cause problems. I actually increased my food intake somewhat as I learnt more and got leaner.

How should I be measuring fitness / weight? Should I measure my abs / ass (sounds weird, right?), or getting on the scales? I just dont want to become to obsessed with the number on the scales you know?

Thank you thank you thank you so much!

Weight is a funny one - the main problem is that upwards of 10lbs of it can go in and out of our bodies in a day and whilst our body normally stabilises this to some extent - you still can't read much into daily weight readings - especially women since your cycle affects things further. The important thing is how you interpret it - as long as you just go off trends and don't care that one day you might be 2lbs heavier than the previous for no particular reason. Be patient and don't assume that you have put on weight overnight, just wait it out and see before changing things. Measuring with a tape measure is also a good idea as is taking photos. I guess for men waist measurement (or belt buckle selection) is a good guide whereas with women, hip measurement is a good guide as to overall body composition change. Make sure to measure in the same place if you want to compare though.
Original post by Mark85

If I could hire you, I so would.

So what we're saying is, start cutting out crap, be more mindful about what I consume. Eat all of the good stuff, in a balanced way, in slightly smaller portions than I'd like, and as long as I do so, the chocolate bar in the middle of the day won't be too much of a big deal? Now, as someone that doesn't eat meat that often, I'm going to go with having a protein shake after any muscle weight lifting thingy sessions, which is fine right?

So in terms of being sustainable, I'll make sure i work out at least 3 times a week by going to one of those session thingys (body attack / bodystep / gym) and also make sure that I go to a BODYPUMP workout 2-3 times a week to start. If I feel like doing more some weeks I will, just as long as I at the very least go to the gym for around 1.5-2 hours, 3 times a week.

Sorry, yeah I was asking how to consume fats...the only fats I know how to consume are saturated fats in ready cooked meals.

Taking pictures and measuring tape will be fine to measure progress, and the odd getting on the scales (once a week?) is also fine?

Right?
Reply 383
If I could hire you, I so would.

Thanks but I am really not any kind of expert. I am just aware from looking around that young people generally get into decent shape without actually doing much more than the basics. Obviously, if you aren't quite there, you have to make some adjustments but you don't have to learn all that much.

On here, everyone is obsessed about detail and the precise way you are meant to do anything and although I am interested in all that stuff, it really isn't necessary for practical purposes. If I just take a step off the internet and look at the people in real life I know who are in good shape - very few of them know much about nutrition or the best way to exercise - they just keep active and eat a vaguely appropriate amount.

So what we're saying is, start cutting out crap, be more mindful about what I consume. Eat all of the good stuff, in a balanced way, in slightly smaller portions than I'd like, and as long as I do so, the chocolate bar in the middle of the day won't be too much of a big deal? Now, as someone that doesn't eat meat that often, I'm going to go with having a protein shake after any muscle weight lifting thingy sessions, which is fine right?

Well, I wouldn't even call it crap. Very few foods are truly crappy (unless we are talking about taste and quality from the point of view of appreciating fine dining or whatever). It really is all about getting the balance of food groups and total amount right. The odd chocolate bar or dirty kebab can easily fit into a well rounded solid diet. You just can't rely on them for every nutrient you need - that's all.

If you really don't like meat (really? not even a burger or a spag bol or chicken wrapped in bacon?!?!) then it is harder to get a decent amount of protein in your diet but there is always dairy, beans and pulses and even bread/pasta/rice contribute somewhat. Then, obviously protein shakes are an easy way to increase protein intake but again, don't overthink that. Do you know what an average cheap protein shake is? A pint of milk, dried and with the sugar removed and replaced by sweetners. That is all - when you think of it in those terms, you see it for what it is - just a cheap food source and nothing to be treated special.

So in terms of being sustainable, I'll make sure i work out at least 3 times a week by going to one of those session thingys (body attack / bodystep / gym) and also make sure that I go to a BODYPUMP workout 2-3 times a week to start. If I feel like doing more some weeks I will, just as long as I at the very least go to the gym for around 1.5-2 hours, 3 times a week.

Yeah, just see if it suits you and if not, you have other options. Doing something social is always good, even if it is just going to the gym with your mate or making friends in a class because it will make it all more fun and routine.

Sorry, yeah I was asking how to consume fats...the only fats I know how to consume are saturated fats in ready cooked meals.

Well, meat aside since you say you don't eat much - there is oily fish, eggs, milk, yoghurt, cheese, nuts (including peanut butter), butter and even things like avocados and then of course oils used for cooking or as a salad dressing. On the fun side of the spectrum, you have things like chocolate and ice cream too :smile: I am sure you must eat fats in your current diet aside from ready meals.

Taking pictures and measuring tape will be fine to measure progress, and the odd getting on the scales (once a week?) is also fine?

Right?

Of course. The scales are only bad if you don't know how to interpret what you see or are one of those who gets emotional about it. If you are going to do it once a week, try and do it at the same time in the same conditions e.g. in the morning after peeing and before you eat/drink and wearing the same clothes to make it as consistent as you can. Even then bear in mind, it will still fluctuate based on where you are in your cycle, the temperature and other such factors which can easily make a couple of pounds or more difference either way.
This is my full body routine, just wondering if I am neglecting anything/anything you would change.

Monday
push 3x5
squat 3x5
chins
rows
facepulls

Wednesday
push 3x5
DL1x5
chins
curlz

Friday
push 3x5
Squat 3x5
chins
rows
facepulls

push 3x5 alternates between bench and press, ss style.
Original post by AreebWithaHat
This is my full body routine, just wondering if I am neglecting anything/anything you would change.

Monday
push 3x5
squat 3x5
chins
rows
facepulls

Wednesday
push 3x5
DL1x5
chins
curlz

Friday
push 3x5
Squat 3x5
chins
rows
facepulls

I'd throw in a few shrugs on Wednesday, and add in a triceps iso (such as skullcrushers) somewhere as you have direct work for biceps, but not triceps.

Monday
push 3x5
squat 3x5
chins
rows
facepulls

Wednesday
push 3x5
DL1x5
chins
curlz

Friday
push 3x5
Squat 3x5
chins
rows
facepulls

Needs tricep/calf work.
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
Needs tricep/calf work.

Thanks, I'll add in some tricep extensions. Might leave out calf work, as a former fatty my calves are nearly as big as my thighs lol

Monday
push 3x5
squat 3x5
chins
rows
facepulls

Wednesday
push 3x5
DL1x5
chins
curlz

Friday
push 3x5
Squat 3x5
chins
rows
facepulls

Whats your goals? Gain muscle or strength or both?
Original post by A random human
Whats your goals? Gain muscle or strength or both?

Strength first and foremost, some muscle would be nice too.
Strength first and foremost, some muscle would be nice too.

Stronglifts with some isolations should be fine and will do you good since you want to gain strength mainly rather than bodybuild, but still want a little muscle. Dont worry about the whole "YOUR NOT DOING THE PROGRAM". Half the guys who do SS or SL have skinny twiggy arms but still dont want to do curls or tricep extentions because apparantly "its not as manly as doing squats".

However personally i would do the rows and chins at a higher rep range. I.e. barbell rows or cable rows, chins and pull ups around 8 - 10 reps for 5 sets. The bench press and ohp can be 5x5. If you wanted you could end your benchpress session with a couple sets of bodyweight push ups at high reps. To further benefit from the push ups you could squeeze your fists together on the way up, and then at the very top of the push up, push out your scapula so you do a scapula push up (youtube scapula push up). You should really feel that in your pecs.

Keep facepulls, brilliant exercise, a must do. Do ab exercises e.g. hanging leg raises, very good for keeping a healthy lower back.

Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Bent over Rows 5x10 - 12
Face pulls 3x10 - 12
Tricep isolation 3x10 supersetted with Hanging Leg Raises 3x as many as

Workout B
Squat 5x5
OHP 5x5
Deadlifts 1x5 (although i usually do 3 - 4 sets of 10 - 12 reps of snatch grip deadlifts after 1 set of a heavy tripple)
Pull ups/Chin ups 5x10 - 12
Bicep curls 3x10 super setted with hanging leg raises 3x as many as

Should be done in the fashion of AXBXAXXBXAXBXX where X = Rest Day
Original post by A random human
Stronglifts with some isolations should be fine and will do you good since you want to gain strength mainly rather than bodybuild, but still want a little muscle. Dont worry about the whole "YOUR NOT DOING THE PROGRAM". Half the guys who do SS or SL have skinny twiggy arms but still dont want to do curls or tricep extentions because apparantly "its not as manly as doing squats".

However personally i would do the rows and chins at a higher rep range. I.e. barbell rows or cable rows, chins and pull ups around 8 - 10 reps for 5 sets. The bench press and ohp can be 5x5. If you wanted you could end your benchpress session with a couple sets of bodyweight push ups at high reps. To further benefit from the push ups you could squeeze your fists together on the way up, and then at the very top of the push up, push out your scapula so you do a scapula push up (youtube scapula push up). You should really feel that in your pecs.

Keep facepulls, brilliant exercise, a must do. Do ab exercises e.g. hanging leg raises, very good for keeping a healthy lower back.

Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Bent over Rows 5x10 - 12
Face pulls 3x10 - 12
Tricep isolation 3x10 supersetted with Hanging Leg Raises 3x as many as

Workout B
Squat 5x5
OHP 5x5
Deadlifts 1x5 (although i usually do 3 - 4 sets of 10 - 12 reps of snatch grip deadlifts after 1 set of a heavy tripple)
Pull ups/Chin ups 5x10 - 12
Bicep curls 3x10 super setted with hanging leg raises 3x as many as

Should be done in the fashion of AXBXAXXBXAXBXX where X = Rest Day

Thanks a lot, appreciate your input and will try this out :smile:
So...I haven't sat and read all 20 pages so I'm sorry if my questions have already been answered :redface:

I started gyming it and eating healthy about August last year. I wouldn't say I was overweight but I wanted to lost a stone and a half before my holiday this year...a combination of going to the gym 4 times a week and healthy eating and i managed it. (having Campylobacter for 5 weeks as horrific as it was probably helped in the weight loss!!!)

It was however only Cardio training that I done with sit ups - Not just crunches, mixed with a medicine ball etc - my gym is one of those only guys in the weight bit I ventured in once and the looks I got when I attempted to use the weights scared me off it for life!!!

Anyway since my holiday in April I've done nothing but eat rubbish and probably put about stone back on...my own fault I know.

So I am back on the healthy eating however I have added weights into my training I want to tone up.

Instead of the gym I have been doing fitness classes:

Metafit twice a week
Body Pump twice week

Occasionally swap a Meta Fit for a Body Combat

Realistically will Body Pump tone me?

I've only been doing it for about 4 weeks and I can already feel a difference in my arms in terms of muscle I have upped my weights which after how hard I found it at the beginning I never thought I would be able to do.
Reply 393
Here's my routine.

Monday-Fri Mornings: Walk to bus stop, get bus, walk to work. (5 minutes)
Monday-Fri Evenings: Walk to bus stop, get bus, walk to work. (5 minutes)
Saturday/Sunday: Walk from bed/sofa to fridge and back. (2 minutes)

What improvements could I make to my daily routine?
I'm looking to join the army so need a good balance of both strength and running ability. I also need to gain more than 10kg in the process.

DAY 1
AM Steady run
PM Workout A/B

DAY 2
AM Circuit training
PM Swimming

DAY 3
REST

DAY 4
AM Interval training
PM Workout B

DAY 5
REST

DAY 6
AM Workout A/B
PM Flexibility

DAY 7
AM Swimming
PM Flexibility

Spoiler

What do you guys think?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
I'm looking to join the army so need a good balance of both strength and running ability. I also need to gain more than 10kg in the process.

DAY 1
AM Steady run
PM Workout A/B

DAY 2
AM Circuit training
PM Swimming

DAY 3
REST

DAY 4
AM Interval training
PM Workout B

DAY 5
REST

DAY 6
AM Workout A/B
PM Flexibility

DAY 7
AM Swimming
PM Flexibility

Spoiler

What do you guys think?

looks good to me, just make sure you're eating enough to compensate for all that cardio
looks good to me, just make sure you're eating enough to compensate for all that cardio

For sure. My diet right now is something like this -
Breakfast: egg on wholemeal toast with a green tea an a piece of fruit (usually an orange);
Then at about 11 I have a weight gain shake, (protein powder, peanut butter, rolled oats, weight-watchers meal replacement shake powder [extra 500 cals] and obviously milk!);
Lunch is usually a sandwich (wholemeal bread) filled with chicken/tuna/ham etc and salad with an apple and a bag of mixed nuts OR pasta with similar stuff. Water on side;
At about 4 I have the same as at 11;
Dinner is meat, potatoes/rice/pasta with 2-3 portions of veg and a side of water
Before bed I tend to have a peanut butter and banana sandwich with a glass of milk too.

If the portions are big enough, do you think I'm eating well enough?
I might add creatine and whey protein post workout depending on how I am doing too.

Being that I've never really kept fit before this will probably be brutal at first but really determined to keep it going!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
For sure. My diet right now is something like this -
Breakfast: egg on wholemeal toast with a green tea an a piece of fruit (usually an orange);
Then at about 11 I have a weight gain shake, (protein powder, peanut butter, rolled oats, weight-watchers meal replacement shake powder [extra 500 cals] and obviously milk!);
Lunch is usually a sandwich (wholemeal bread) filled with chicken/tuna/ham etc and salad with an apple and a bag of mixed nuts OR pasta with similar stuff. Water on side;
At about 4 I have the same as at 11;
Dinner is meat, potatoes/rice/pasta with 2-3 portions of veg and a side of water
Before bed I tend to have a peanut butter and banana sandwich with a glass of milk too.

If the portions are big enough, do you think I'm eating well enough?
I might add creatine and whey protein post workout depending on how I am doing too.

Being that I've never really kept fit before this will probably be brutal at first but really determined to keep it going!

It seems decent to me, especially with the weight gainers. Maybe add some more for breakfast if you see weight gain stalling. Also good luck with the army!
It seems decent to me, especially with the weight gainers. Maybe add some more for breakfast if you see weight gain stalling. Also good luck with the army!

Sweet. Thanks a lot :smile:
If I do see that gains are being slow I'll throw in some cereal in the morning, maybe. I have a tonne of oats in the house right now so could have porridge with some berries thrown over the top or something.

I'm hoping to go in as a linguist so I don't need to be either huge or super-fit but considering I'm something under 55kg atm I seriously think I need to put on some poundage :biggrin:

Cheers for the advice!
Monday
Squat, Bench, Deadlift
Tuesday
Sprints, Jump Rope, Pullups, Dips, Knee Raises
Wednesday
Squat, Shoulder Press, Power Clean
Thursday
Handstand, Pushups, Tuck Planche
Friday
Squat, Bench, Deadlift
Sat, Sun rest days