The Student Room Group

Are A-Levels too memory-focused?

I'm currently finishing Upper 6th and really rather bored of A-Levels. Over the past couple of years I've noticed several areas where topics/exams could be succeeded by someone with an excellent memory, yet no real passion or ability for the subject (For example complex colours (AQA Chemistry)). I personally prefer applying knowledge and skills rather than churning out information. It would make revision far less stressful for one! Is this focus on memorizing evident in other subjects? If so, do you think it should be?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JStacey
I'm currently finishing Upper 6th and really rather bored of A-Levels. Over the past couple of years I've noticed several areas where topics/exams could be succeeded by someone with an excellent memory, yet no real passion or ability for the subject (For example complex colours (AQA Chemistry)). I personally prefer applying knowledge and skills rather than churning out information. It would make revision far less stressful for one! Is this focus on memorizing evident in other subjects? If so, do you think it should be?

I disagree, I think Chemistry is more application than memory. If most A Levels were memory then they would be a million times easier...
Reply 2
They all require some application, apart from maybe biology. Maybe the fact that you revised for the subject shows you like it and want to do well in it?
Yes they are.

There's a fine line between understanding something and remembering it when it comes to A Levels.
Reply 4
Is someone struggling with revision?:wink:
Original post by The Illuminati
I disagree, I think Chemistry is more application than memory. If most A Levels were memory then they would be a million times easier...

I agree chemistry is definately more application than memory based otherwise I would have aced my first exam, whereas my friend whose memory is avearge got an A in the chemistry exam because she has the ability to apply knowledge + her brain's weird (I want her brain!)

okay rant over.
Reply 6
Original post by The Illuminati

On the whole I think chemistry is more application than memory yes - that is one of the reasons why I took it to be honest! Was just the first example I could pull to mind. I personally believe A-Levels would be easier not memory-based though: revision would be focused on key principles, rather than lists of information (to me that is far less stressful) and skills you aquire throughout your studies would aid you in exams.
Well for my subjects:
Biology - Definitely memory.
Maths - It's about 70-30 ratio with 70 being application over memory. If you memorise the theory, you can apply it to many questions.
Chemistry - Again application over memory (personally).
English - More spontaneous thought over memory OR application. Of course you need to know the quotes and how to apply it to the question, but thoughts tend to spontaneously come to you when writing out answers.
Reply 8
maths...
AS Biology is a lot of memory but exam boards are realising that and involving more application to prepare students for A2 biology which involves more application. Even if an exam is 'memory' focused, you can memorise something perfectly but fail to use it in the right context.
Reply 10
Original post by rival_
Is someone struggling with revision?:wink:

Hahaha! Yes definately in areas! But then in areas like mechanics calculations in physics I don't struggle as much as I enjoy the application of given equations. It means less time needs to be spent revising overall - always a winner yes?
Reply 11
not memory at all, for AS yes, but A2 is just a b**** with all this new fancy 'evalution/analysis' mark cr@p
Not if your doing English, or a language.
Yes, more than half of my AS Music exam is a memory game.
Reply 14
I'm doing maths, biology, psychology and RE and I think they're all just memory if I'm honest.
For my unit 1 biology exam I spent a lot of my time memorising the mark schemes for the typical questions that always seem to come up.
Reply 15
A lot of today's A-Levels are memorising key facts, however there is a degree of application in all A-Levels.

However you do need to appreciate that to do well at university you need to build up a base of knowledge before you can apply it to other things for example you need to know that MCO3+Acid---> Salt+CO2+H2O...I hope that's correct or this is severely embarrassing

By the way education is accelerating we all need to learn everything as quickly as possible so that we can be assets to research or writing or whatever. i.e. Medical students have to memorise a lot, it may be anatomy or how a drug works but with memorising understanding comes next.
Reply 16
Original post by JStacey
Hahaha! Yes definately in areas! But then in areas like mechanics calculations in physics I don't struggle as much as I enjoy the application of given equations. It means less time needs to be spent revising overall - always a winner yes?

looooool to quote the churchill dog "Oh yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss" :wink:
Yes. It's stupid people can just rote learn and pass but not understand anything.
Reply 18
Original post by Emma£
I'm doing maths, biology, psychology and RE and I think they're all just memory if I'm honest.
For my unit 1 biology exam I spent a lot of my time memorising the mark schemes for the typical questions that always seem to come up.

Memorising mark schemes has become my new weapon at A2! After getting lower grades, thanks to (in my opinion) stupid mark schemes, I tried it and went from Bs to As and A*s if past papers and mocks are anything to go on.
Reply 19
Original post by Booyah
A lot of today's A-Levels are memorising key facts, however there is a degree of application in all A-Levels.

However you do need to appreciate that to do well at university you need to build up a base of knowledge before you can apply it to other things for example you need to know that MCO3+Acid---> Salt+CO2+H2O...I hope that's correct or this is severely embarrassing

I appreciate the need to have that fundamental knowledge base, especially for things like medicine. But going back to my point on complex colours I mentioned initially, surely information like that could just be referenced? I think you're right with the metal carbonates by the way!

Quick Reply

Latest