The Student Room Group

Higher Maths COMMUNICATION MARKS

These marks are really important and can be the difference between passing and failing, or getting a B instead of a C.

So post examples of when you would include a comment to gain a mark, and maybe someone will comment one that you weren't aware of!

E.g. Mtgt = 4 (since -1/4 x 4 = -1)

So go ahead, you might help someone pass or improve their grade, and someone may help improve yours! :smile:
Reply 1
I don't think you gain marks for comments like that one though. State one gradient and then say so (or implies symbol) gradient of tangent equals, no need to explain why.

E.g.:

mAB=2        mtangent=12m_{AB} = -2 ~~~~ \Rightarrow ~~~~ m_{tangent} = \frac{1}{2}

Ought to be fine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
-1<a<1 so a limit exists is always important.
Dy/Dx = gradient function
Dy/Dx = 0 for stationary points
m1xm2= -1 for perp lines
m1=m2 for parallel lines
After synthetic division to prove a factor always write 0=f(1) so (x-1) is a factor. Obviously it isn't always 1.
Dot Product = 0 for perpendicular vectors
Parallel vectors have equal components
b^2-4ac=0/>0/<0 to define roots.

We called them star statements :P
Reply 3
And when proving points are collinear you HAVE to specify which point is in common (a friend of mine lost one mark in the unit 3 NAB for that, haha).

e.g.
"Since AB> is parallel to BC> and point B is in common, A, B and C are collinear"
I'd say just to write down as much working as possible. And lets say you are doing a vectors question and it asks you to find a point by interpreting a diagram and you can't work it out for 1 mark, sometimes just guess it if it's needed for the rest of the question. This shows you atleast know what you are doing, despite getting the wrong coordinate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending