The Student Room Group

English Literature AQA POETRY; Relationships clust predicted questions 24nd May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Jasmine7239
The question paper for the unit is divided into two sections. Section A is based on the study of poems
from the AQA Anthology Moon on the Tides, divided into four thematic clusters of 15 poems:
Relationships, Conflict, Place, Characters and Voice. Candidates will be expected to answer a
question about one of the poems (named), and then compare it with another poem from the cluster
(unnamed).
If the following poems are named they will only be named in Higher Tier Questions:
Character and Voice: Medusa, Les Grands Seigneurs, Casehistory: Alison (head injury)
Place: The Blackbird of Glanmore, Crossing the Loch, Extract from The Prelude
Conflict: Belfast Confetti, The Yellow Palm, next to of course god America i
Relationships: Hour, Harmonium, Sonnet 116
If the following poems are named they will only be named in Foundation Tier questions:
Character and Voice: Brendon Gallacher, Give, The Ruined Maid
Place: A Vision, Price We Pay for the Sun, Spellbound
Conflict: Flag, The Right Word, The Falling Leaves
Relationships: In Paris with you, Brothers, Sister Maude
Please note that other poems in the clusters could be named but they could appear in questions on
either tier.

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME? :frown:

Where did you get this from???
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
The question paper for the unit is divided into two sections. Section A is based on the study of poems
from the AQA Anthology Moon on the Tides, divided into four thematic clusters of 15 poems:
Relationships, Conflict, Place, Characters and Voice. Candidates will be expected to answer a
question about one of the poems (named), and then compare it with another poem from the cluster
(unnamed).
If the following poems are named they will only be named in Higher Tier Questions:
Character and Voice: Medusa, Les Grands Seigneurs, Casehistory: Alison (head injury)
If the following poems are named they will only be named in Foundation Tier questions:
Please note that other poems in the clusters could be named but they could appear in questions on
either tier.

Basically there are three poems from each cluster that will only be in the higher tier paper, not the foundation, and then three that will only be in the foundation paper, not the higher. So if you're doing the higher paper you basically don't have to revise the three that will only appear in foundation :smile:
For relationships it's sister Maude, brothers and in Paris with you.. Don't revise those if you're doing higher tier.

Sorry if that was long winded! :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 43
Original post by letsbehonest
I done it in Jan and I got a question on feelings to do with harmonium and I compared it with Praise song.

The unseen was utter crap. I said it was about procrastination LOL when it was actually about taking a break and relaxing -.- I kept on referring to the poet as the wrong gender :|

I almost got full UMS thanks to this amazing resource!
Attached.

I love you; You are now my best friend:smile:
Reply 44
(unnamed).
either tier.

Where did you find this?
Reply 45
does anyone have any model or practice questions? I need to practice im so screwed for tomorrow :/
Reply 46
Do you think I can get away with not revising the sonnets? Surely if there are two questions to choose from, I won't be at a loss if a sonnet comes up?
Reply 47
Original post by ginge:)
I wanted it to be manhunt so badly! Can someone send me some starting points on how to analyse Sonnet 116? Because i find it really hard to do anything with :s-smilie:
I know manhunt, nettles, quickdraw and ghazal...
just to let you guys know, Hour, Harmonium and Sonnet 116 - if they appear - will only appear in the higher tier...so there's a high likelihood that one of them will come up.
how did everyone find the lit paper today? anyone do TKAM and/or the Crucible, the questions were horrible! :frown:

Yeah I found Sonnet 116 a bit iffy but there's a really good analysis on youtube. Here's the link - check it out! It's about 20 minutes long but really good content. You can make up your own opinion after. I thoroughly recommend mrbruff's channel on youtube! :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3so-QNWN8w
Original post by liam95
'To His Coy Mistress' is basically a witty attempt to persuade the persona's mistress, which at the time the poem was written simply meant a female friend, to engage in a sexual relationship with him. The poem is written as a syllogistic argument (If..., Then..., But..., Therefore...,), the main idea being that if time was unlimited the persona wouldn't mind having a long, romantic relationship that takes a while to instigate (the first stanza), but because time is limited (the second stanza) they should enjoy their youth and the time they have together and make the most of it (the third stanza).

This poem ties in really well with 'Hour' and 'Sonnet 116' because it concerns love's relationship with time. It also sort of fits with 'In Paris with You' because of the nature if the persona's desire (ie. sexual).

A good way of answering would be to look at some of the numerous metaphors Marvell uses, how they are significant and how they link to the structure of his argument and his ultimate objective in the poem.

Thankyou so much thats amazing! Thankyou youve helped me out so much!
Both Rossetti and Scannell use language which evokes a feeling of outrage and anger towards another person or object. The last line of Sister Maude is ‘Bide you with death and sin’, which runs with an iambic trimeter; the stress on the words ‘you’, ‘death’ and ‘sin’ allows the speaker to successfully confirm the certainty of Maude’s fate, which is almost satisfying for the reader, who has witnessed the speaker’s victory over the evil Maude in a matter of good and evil. The plosive ‘b’ in ‘Bide’ is almost spat when read by the reader, which enables Rossetti to effectively convey the speaker’s feelings of pure hatred and fury at her snide sister. This last line is particularly effective for the reader as it sums up the theme of the poem: the speaker is so offended and frustrated by her sister that the matter escalates into a matter of good and evil whereby she almost banishes Maude to hell. Although this may be shocking for some readers, it only increases the wickedness of Maude’s character. Similarly, Scannell also adapts an iambic tetrameter in the line ‘I took the hook and honed the blade’, which adds a sense of determination to his actions of cutting down the bed of nettles which hurt his son. The assonance of the ‘oo’ sound in ‘took’, ‘hook’ and ‘honed’ has an accumulative effect which allows Scannell to portray the speaker’s rising feelings of anger as he prepares to kill the nettles which hurt his son. Unlike Rossetti, this line lacks any plosive or ‘hissing’ language, but this successfully enables Scannell to subtly reveal that his anger is so intense that he cannot put it into words; this may have the opposite effect on the reader, who are fearfully anticipating what the speaker will do next, contrary to the speaker in Sister Maude who simply relies on the consequences of sin to portray Maude’s fate which is perhaps a tepid threat for a modern reader (although this would have been more frightening for a reader in its Victorian period of publication when religion was taken literally and seriously).
Reply 50
Hello everyone
How would you compare Hour with Sonnet 116? According to Form (structure), Language, Imagery, Rhyme and Techniques (FLIRT!).

I know that they both have 14 lines - sonnet form. But in Hour they are spaced out into 3 stanzas and a final rhyming couplet at the end. In Sonnet 116, the form is continuous, but the final rhyming couplet is placed at the center to emphasise Shakespeare's certainty in being correct.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 51
ANYTHING but Hour and Ghazal :frown:

I have a sneaky feeling for Praise song. I hate ow they've already used the best poems :cry:
Original post by _soph1
Basically there are three poems from each cluster that will only be in the higher tier paper, not the foundation, and then three that will only be in the foundation paper, not the higher. So if you're doing the higher paper you basically don't have to revise the three that will only appear in foundation :smile:
For relationships it's sister Maude, brothers and in Paris with you.. Don't revise those if you're doing higher tier.

Sorry if that was long winded! :biggrin:

Are you sure about this?
Reply 53
Any idea what poems will be asked for conflict?
Reply 54
Can someone give me some typical questions they would ask in the exam; give me as much as posible thx
Reply 55
Original post by priya8D
Hello everyone
How would you compare Hour with Sonnet 116? According to Form (structure), Language, Imagery, Rhyme and Techniques (FLIRT!).

I know that they both have 14 lines - sonnet form. But in Hour they are spaced out into 3 stanzas and a final rhyming couplet at the end. In Sonnet 116, the form is continuous, but the final rhyming couplet is placed at the center to emphasise Shakespeare's certainty in being correct.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :biggrin:

COMPARE HOUR TO TO HIS COY MISTRESS
- one is obviously real love, whereas on is lust. Look at the use of pronouns(language) in 'hour' it is plural, 'we' and the repetition(technique) highlights their unison through love. In To His Coy, look at the verbs 'praise' adore'- it is very lustful language. The love is hypothetical, the trochee(rhyme) at the beginning puts stress on 'had we' casting doubt on his love as he doesnt have 'world enough and time'
-second point: hour shows power of love where to his coy lets live succumb to external factors. look at the vibrant imagery and repetition (technique) 'midas light' 'candlelight' 'spotlight' 'chandelir' they highlight loves empowering ability. The fact 'no jewel holds a candlelight to the cuckoo spit' suggests it can make every thing beuatiful. The contrast in language, jewel, cuckoo spit implies love can turn even the mundane of things beautiful. In to his coy, beauty shall no more be found, and youthful hue is like morning dew- this is a simile(language) implying love is weak, it doesnt last, the ryhme in hue and dew, emphasizes there link.
-lastly, a point about time and love. in hour, despite being 'time beggar' love is 'rich'. it suggests love is autonomous and outdoes time, permanent. Look at contrast(technique) in beggar and rich. Even though time'hates love, 'love spins gold gold gold' again it implies it is everlasting- highlighted by the repetition of gold. in to his coy, it seems time threatens love. time is personified as a 'chariot hurrying near' the metaphor aided by enjambment implies time is the end of love. Also the fact 'none embrace' in the 'grave'. The iambic tetrameter places stress on none, highlighting the emptiness of death. Again this shows timedefeating love.

hope that helped :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by lil-mazie
Can someone give me some typical questions they would ask in the exam; give me as much as posible thx

go on aqa website and look up jan 2011 pastpapers thats the kind of question they would ask.
basically they give poem and ask you to compare it with another poem of ur choice
Reply 57
Thanks, In mr bruff's video he says sonnet 116 has slight hints of Shakespeare showing some homosexuality and his feelings towards a Mr W.H do you think I can say it shows some gay love refrences or d i have to keep strictly PG?
Reply 58
Original post by daniya12
COMPARE HOUR TO TO HIS COY MISTRESS
- one is obviously real love, whereas on is lust. Look at the use of pronouns(language) in 'hour' it is plural, 'we' and the repetition(technique) highlights their unison through love. In To His Coy, look at the verbs 'praise' adore'- it is very lustful language. The love is hypothetical, the trochee(rhyme) at the beginning puts stress on 'had we' casting doubt on his love as he doesnt have 'world enough and time'
-second point: hour shows power of love where to his coy lets live succumb to external factors. look at the vibrant imagery and repetition (technique) 'midas light' 'candlelight' 'spotlight' 'chandelir' they highlight loves empowering ability. The fact 'no jewel holds a candlelight to the cuckoo spit' suggests it can make every thing beuatiful. The contrast in language, jewel, cuckoo spit implies love can turn even the mundane of things beautiful. In to his coy, beauty shall no more be found, and youthful hue is like morning dew- this is a simile(language) implying love is weak, it doesnt last, the ryhme in hue and dew, emphasizes there link.
-lastly, a point about time and love. in hour, despite being 'time beggar' love is 'rich'. it suggests love is autonomous and outdoes time, permanent. Look at contrast(technique) in beggar and rich. Even though time'hates love, 'love spins gold gold gold' again it implies it is everlasting- highlighted by the repetition of gold. in to his coy, it seems time threatens love. time is personified as a 'chariot hurrying near' the metaphor aided by enjambment implies time is the end of love. Also the fact 'none embrace' in the 'grave'. The iambic tetrameter places stress on none, highlighting the emptiness of death. Again this shows timedefeating love.

hope that helped :smile:

Thank you! Really detailed :smile: I think I'm replacing Sonnet 116 with To His Coy Mistress now :colondollar: The title is a bit of a pain to write over and over again lol.
Good luck for tomorrow :biggrin:
Reply 59
Original post by lil-mazie
Thanks, In mr bruff's video he says sonnet 116 has slight hints of Shakespeare showing some homosexuality and his feelings towards a Mr W.H do you think I can say it shows some gay love refrences or d i have to keep strictly PG?

As long as you can justify it there is no reason why they won't mark you. It's a valid interpretation though. You could pick it out from the last line - like Mr Bruff said in the video. Shakespeare wrote that if he is proven wrong, then no man has ever loved - or is it that he has never loved a man?! :eek:

I'm sure it will be fine - just say homosexual instead of gay. Good luck for tomorrow :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending