The Student Room Group

Should the grade band of an A be shown?

Who is of the opinion that the exam certificate should show if a student has achieved an A1 at Higher or AH? By and large, scoring in the 70-100% bracket qualifies for an A, but that's a very large bracket and there's a real difference in aptitude between a student who scores 71% and a student who scores 89%. Given that a B is awarded at 60%, an A at 70% and an A1 at 85% (approx, of course), there's usually a larger difference between a B and an A than between an A2 and an A1, a situation I find very odd.

This seems especially counterproductive as university courses become more and more competitive. In England they've introduced the A* grade when typically, I believe, one needs 80% to score an A in any case. I can't think of any reason not to show the grade band a student achieves; an A2 will still be a very high grade, but an A1 will help to show which students are especially gifted in that subject.
Reply 1
We had a big discussion about this a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1991315
Original post by Julii92
Who is of the opinion that the exam certificate should show if a student has achieved an A1 at Higher or AH? By and large, scoring in the 70-100% bracket qualifies for an A, but that's a very large bracket and there's a real difference in aptitude between a student who scores 71% and a student who scores 89%. Given that a B is awarded at 60%, an A at 70% and an A1 at 85% (approx, of course), there's usually a larger difference between a B and an A than between an A2 and an A1, a situation I find very odd.

This seems especially counterproductive as university courses become more and more competitive. In England they've introduced the A* grade when typically, I believe, one needs 80% to score an A in any case. I can't think of any reason not to show the grade band a student achieves; an A2 will still be a very high grade, but an A1 will help to show which students are especially gifted in that subject.

I think the bands of a subject should be shown in the near future, but at the moment they are unnecessary.

I say they begin to tell students when the new Higher Course is brought it.
Reply 3
Original post by Julii92

To be honest if I or anybody opened our results and got an A I would not mind what band it is on the other hand I know universities sometimes look at them. If I really did want to know my bands, I would ask the teacher of that subject :smile: great idea though
Reply 4
Personally, as an a/b student I think not. But what's the point in having an a1 and a2 if they are not going to be recognised??

This better be worth it...
Original post by tiger5000

What? :confused:
Reply 6
Original post by TheUnbeliever
What? :confused:

It's just my mantra in life :smile:

Original post by Julii92

From a personal point of view, opening the exam results letter are seeing a couple of A2s in there would take away from the achievement of getting 5As.

In a more perspective point of view, I don't believe there is any need for showing the bands. Unless you're applying to Cambridge or Oxford or somewhere like that which may require specific bands. (In that case, the student would probably have had the initiative to ask their teachers of their bands), I don't think there's much need to show them. A pupil with paticularly strong grades is unlikely going to be rejected on the basis of their grades if they exceed the requirements, but it might be down to the personal statement. When the competition increases for the course, the universities simply increase the grade requirements.
My english teacher told us who got A1's and whoever did got a round of applause from the class haha.
Original post by SneakyDoug
My english teacher told us who got A1's and whoever did got a round of applause from the class haha.

I think that's fairly inappropriate...
Original post by TheUnbeliever
I think that's fairly inappropriate...

It wasn't serious at all - it was a bit of a piss take. I think i put over the wrong idea...
Original post by SneakyDoug

How did that happen? Don't you start a new timetable with new subjects after study leave?
Original post by Chrisruptor
How did that happen? Don't you start a new timetable with new subjects after study leave?

This was at the beginning of this year when everyone had their results and we also did it for the prelim.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending