The Student Room Group

May 24th GCSE - English Lit, Poetry, Relationship Section

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
any ideas what will come up for the conflict section??
Reply 21
no, check some other threadsout people are discussing conflict
What would be the best way to compare born yesterday and nettles?
Reply 23
I really hope "To His Coy Mistress" or "Ghazal" don't come up. They're the only two I don't know very well.

I'm a little confused about something. Do we have to compare the language used in both poems? Or do we compare what the poems about?
Original post by gg12
I really hope "To His Coy Mistress" or "Ghazal" don't come up. They're the only two I don't know very well.

I'm a little confused about something. Do we have to compare the language used in both poems? Or do we compare what the poems about?

I think the way we've been taught it is to compare a big theme and then say how the poets achieve this theme and idea in different ways. So, for example we did a practise intro comparing manhunt and nettles that said this:

In both Manhunt and Nettles poets present feelings of emotional and physical pain. However, whilst in Manhunt the physical and emotional effects of war is explored, in Nettles, the poet explores the emotional pain of the father powerless to prevent his son from physical harm.

Hope this helps!
Reply 25
Original post by student0696
I think the way we've been taught it is to compare a big theme and then say how the poets achieve this theme and idea in different ways. So, for example we did a practise intro comparing manhunt and nettles that said this:

In both Manhunt and Nettles poets present feelings of emotional and physical pain. However, whilst in Manhunt the physical and emotional effects of war is explored, in Nettles, the poet explores the emotional pain of the father powerless to prevent his son from physical harm.

Hope this helps!

Yeah, so you were writing about the themes. Did you mention language devices used in both poems?
Original post by gg12
Yeah, so you were writing about the themes. Did you mention language devices used in both poems?

Yeah, as you go on you would mention different factors such as language/structure/form and how even though the poems use different methods of these things, they still create the same theme.
Reply 27
Yeah, as you go on you would mention different factors such as language/structure/form and how even though the poems use different methods of these things, they still create the same theme.

Okay, thanks. So, we can mention basically anything, as long as we're comparing both poems?
http://www.northwalshamhigh.norfolk.sch.uk/subjects/english/pdfs/KS4/Docs/poetry/Relationships%20Poetry.pdf

amazing notes for all of the poems.. even the ones that you think have no meaning :-p
Also check out Mr Bruff's channel on Youtube, he's got some great videos that can help you there too :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by gg12
Okay, thanks. So, we can mention basically anything, as long as we're comparing both poems?

Yeah pretty much- and as long as it links to the question. Just make sure the poems are pretty similar and have some kind of strong link between them. I'm not an expert at this at all but this will be how I approach the exam tomorrow :smile:
Reply 30
So you answer any question like this:

Paragraph 1 - Compare the meanings of poems
P2 - Compare the imagery in the poems
P3 - Compare the tone of the poems
P4 - Compare the structure of the poems
P5 - Compare the language of the poems
Original post by GrantG
So you answer any question like this:

Paragraph 1 - Compare the meanings of poems
P2 - Compare the imagery in the poems
P3 - Compare the tone of the poems
P4 - Compare the structure of the poems
P5 - Compare the language of the poems

yes, i think so. Some questions can ask specifically about language though which could affect the structure of your essay.
Reply 32
yes, i think so. Some questions can ask specifically about language though which could affect the structure of your essay.

So if it was about language then just write 5 paras about language no mention of anything else I wrote?

If the question asks about structure do I only write about structure?
Original post by GrantG
So if it was about language then just write 5 paras about language no mention of anything else I wrote?

If the question asks about structure do I only write about structure?

I'm not really sure ahah! Some people say that you should focus completely on structure, but I presume that you can look at the way the structure affects the language, or how the language affects the structure? I'm not sure....tomorrow I'll probably just avoid a question like that unless it's a good poem!
Reply 34
Hi all,

Nice to see the conversation's really got going! :biggrin: (The above mentioned link to the North Walsham school notes is really good, those notes are said to be amazing!)

Good luck tomorrow everyone!
Original post by _OliviaTheOwl
http://www.northwalshamhigh.norfolk.sch.uk/subjects/english/pdfs/KS4/Docs/poetry/Relationships%20Poetry.pdf

amazing notes for all of the poems.. even the ones that you think have no meaning :-p
Also check out Mr Bruff's channel on Youtube, he's got some great videos that can help you there too :smile:

Thanks for the link, these notes are really good. Good luck for tomorrow. :smile:
Reply 36
can any1 help me with structure and just general comparing because i got only a C in the mock on q1, but in the unseen section i got full marks so i need to know how to bump my marks up in q1. Plus i really struggle with structure and im really hoping that it wont come up specifically
Original post by _OliviaTheOwl

THANKYOU SO MUCH! DONT KNOW HOW MUCH THIS IS GOING TO HELP.

i havent even looked at my anthology since last year when i failed the exam,
Been so busy revising chemistry today, so will spend all night going through this!

THANKYOU :smile: :smile: :smile:
Original post by Starrstruck
Thanks for the link, these notes are really good. Good luck for tomorrow. :smile:

You're welcome, I've already done it lol :tongue:

But good luck to you! #teamlae :biggrin:
Reply 39
Yeah, I used that website to add in more notes. I wish it would have more on the language used, but oh well :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending