The Student Room Group

The English Literature (LITB3 - 20/06/12) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
__gabbie
Thanks! have repped you :smile: I've never really understood the difference between 'form' and structure, too vague. How does the abcabc rhyme scheme link to the pastoral? It it just to do with music/ballad (although i though ballad was abcb) or is it something more specific?
is language in AO2 literally just the words used and their connotations etc or would references to rhyme, alliteration, meter used etc come under lang?

Sorry for all the questions, we were taught so badly because my English teacher was off sick half the year and my school is so disorganised it was never sorted :mad:

We were just told that was a traditional pastoral rhyme scheme, so I guess that just means it was a common form for pastoral poetry. In English I do sometimes just end up regurgitating information from the teacher without really understanding it - not good I know! But I have no idea to be honest about whether it's linked to mussic, sorry.

I get confused between form and structure too, even my teacher said she didn't know what would come under form and what would be structure. I don't think I can really help with which bits would be language as I just get too confused myself, so hopefully somebody else can clarify it:smile:

Have you chosen particular poems to revise? I'm hoping to do As You Like It in section A too.
Reply 181
We were just told that was a traditional pastoral rhyme scheme, so I guess that just means it was a common form for pastoral poetry. In English I do sometimes just end up regurgitating information from the teacher without really understanding it - not good I know! But I have no idea to be honest about whether it's linked to mussic, sorry.

I get confused between form and structure too, even my teacher said she didn't know what would come under form and what would be structure. I don't think I can really help with which bits would be language as I just get too confused myself, so hopefully somebody else can clarify it:smile:

Have you chosen particular poems to revise? I'm hoping to do As You Like It in section A too.

Argh I know, everyone says this exam is just about 'jumping through hoops, jump through the hoops and you can't go wrong etc' - I wanna know what the hoops are! and how to jump them!
I've revised a lot of the poems, I think I'll narrow it down over the next couple of days. Finding revision in general really difficult though. I'm so bad at structuring the essays, and being concise, fluent etc
Reply 182
I know this is a stupid question but do you have to quote from the text?
My teacher told us you dont have to, all you need to do is remember what happens in each books but he cant be trusted.

If quotes are necessary, which ones do you try and remember?
Phatty
I know this is a stupid question but do you have to quote from the text?
My teacher told us you dont have to, all you need to do is remember what happens in each books but he cant be trusted.

If quotes are necessary, which ones do you try and remember?

They might be more leniant because it's a closed book exam but I wouldn't bank on it. I'd have thought that language analysis for AO2 would be quite hard without backing it up with language quotes even if it's just a word or two.

Try to remember quotes to show off a bit and the ones that are most relevant to the gothic elements in your set text would be most useful I'd say because then you can mould them to any question really. But don't remember quotes for the sake of trying to get them into your question :smile:
Reply 184
Silvertongue
They might be more leniant because it's a closed book exam but I wouldn't bank on it. I'd have thought that language analysis for AO2 would be quite hard without backing it up with language quotes even if it's just a word or two.

Try to remember quotes to show off a bit and the ones that are most relevant to the gothic elements in your set text would be most useful I'd say because then you can mould them to any question really. But don't remember quotes for the sake of trying to get them into your question :smile:

Great, Im about to fail lol
Thanks for the help though, much appreciated :smile:
Phatty
Great, Im about to fail lol
Thanks for the help though, much appreciated :smile:

Awww no don't say that! I mean quotes are great but they are probably not absolutely necessary. :smile: I just personally don't really see how I can analyse language without showing the examiners what the language used IS.

However, if you can remember parts of the novel in depth and say things like 'the language used in the end of the novel in particular is...' and so on then I'm pretty sure that counts :smile: And if you know the events well and can see how they fit into the novel as whole, that's AO2 too for structure.

Besides, I'm sure you remember a lot more quotes than you give yourself credit for, you just might not realise but you probably retain a lot by reading the texts over and over. Also, three days is deffo not too late to start. Just have around 5 general gothicky quotes for each text maybe?
Reply 186
Silvertongue
Awww no don't say that! I mean quotes are great but they are probably not absolutely necessary. :smile: I just personally don't really see how I can analyse language without showing the examiners what the language used IS.

However, if you can remember parts of the novel in depth and say things like 'the language used in the end of the novel in particular is...' and so on then I'm pretty sure that counts :smile: And if you know the events well and can see how they fit into the novel as whole, that's AO2 too for structure.

Besides, I'm sure you remember a lot more quotes than you give yourself credit for, you just might not realise but you probably retain a lot by reading the texts over and over. Also, three days is deffo not too late to start. Just have around 5 general gothicky quotes for each text maybe?

Yea, i guess im gona try and start learning some general quotes from all three texts now. Thanksss
I need serious help on the gothic elements in white devil, as I don't even know what I'm looking for some help please.
Rosyred809

i would go down of writing of the excess an maybe relaite to setting how it over the top and drmaaric with thunderstroms adn castles and the maybe look at how this can relate to differnt aspect of gothic for various books in the bloody chamber i ould do lady in the hous of love adn the writing of excess and how it sweeps the reaer away and frankenstein and the language in realtion to chapter when monster is created
deamoical corpse
dead rotting body parts
livid with the hue fo death

I hope you're going to spell better than this on Tuesday?:confused:
Reply 189
hello everyone,

i'm studying bloody chamber, white devil and wuthering heights and just wondered what people are getting for supernatural stuff in the bloody chamber. Just struggling a bit on that front.

I need serious help on the gothic elements in white devil, as I don't even know what I'm looking for some help please.

have you got like the obvious bloody murders that lodovico says he will commit, the ungodly nature of flamineo, the yew tree as a deathly symbol.
Reply 190
hrishisp
hello everyone,

i'm studying bloody chamber, white devil and wuthering heights and just wondered what people are getting for supernatural stuff in the bloody chamber. Just struggling a bit on that front.

have you got like the obvious bloody murders that lodovico says he will commit, the ungodly nature of flamineo, the yew tree as a deathly symbol.

Depends what stories you're doing.
The Marquis in TBC could be interpreted to be a vampire, he's described to have "red lips" and he's got this obscure fascination with the heroine wearing that "red chocker".
In the wolf stories, you've got LOTS of superstition with many references to witches, devils, werewolves etc.
Lady in the house of love: she's a vampire, ghosts are present in her home
The stories themselves seem to push the boundaries of morality, and whilst that's not exactly part of the supernatural, it certainly adds to the sense of mystery
Hope that starts you off? :smile:
hrishisp
hello everyone,

I wouldn't say there is the prescence of the supernatural that much in the title story. But in the rest of the tales there is a lot. In the Tiger's Bride you obviously have the Beast who is anthropomorphic, the transformation of the narrator at the end, the enchanted clockwork servant and the way the Beast's tears turn to jewels. In the Snow Child you have the "snow child" who is created by the Count and who melts after he rapes her body, then there is the whole Vampire thing in Lady In The House of Love and the men who transform into wolves in "Company of Wolves"
Reply 192
cheers for that

i'm doing snow child, the bloody chamber, werewolf when i write about it and possibly company of wolves. So your comments helped thanks
Tha_Black_Shinobi
I wouldn't say there is the prescence of the supernatural that much in the title story. But in the rest of the tales there is a lot. In the Tiger's Bride you obviously have the Beast who is anthropomorphic, the transformation of the narrator at the end, the enchanted clockwork servant and the way the Beast's tears turn to jewels. In the Snow Child you have the "snow child" who is created by the Count and who melts after he rapes her body, then there is the whole Vampire thing in Lady In The House of Love and the men who transform into wolves in "Company of Wolves"

Yeah I think supernatural for the Bloody Chamber as a whole is hard because it's just more fairy tale than ghost story but you could talk about the whole idea of fate (which occurs in LOADS of her stories, The BC, Lady of the House etc) is sort of supernatural? Well it's certainly not 'natural' and then the idea of the blood stain on her head in the BC which is quite supernatural and to place it in context, talk about Eve and the symbolic stain of SIN and whatnot?

Transformations as a theme are also quite supernatural and just non-human characters in general would probably count as SUPERNATURAL.
Reply 194
hrishisp
cheers for that

i'm doing snow child, the bloody chamber, werewolf when i write about it and possibly company of wolves. So your comments helped thanks

Perhaps what is supernatural is the use of metamorphosis and lycanthropy
Reply 195
jakkowakko123
The sin on pride is an awful question!!!!!!
I would prefer Supernatural on its own instead of occult elements. There is much more to write about??

I know lots on the morality plays, so no problem there.

What do you think feel are the significances of The Old Man/ Good Angel?? You could argue that the old man is jesus LOL!

God I need serious help!

What sort of things would you talk about for the significance of the Old Man in Dr Faustus?
hrishisp
hello everyone,

no I have no idea about the gothic in white devil I missed a lot of lessons on it and now have no clue what to write about so anything will help. pls im going insane :eek3:
Reply 197
Thanks for your help "Chapter One" -- that was really useful :smile:.

I'm just planning through some more essays and I was thinking about a setting question and I was wondering is there anything really you could write on "Doctor Faustus"? I mean I know it's not the obvious choice and doesn't really lend itself to that aspect, and also I've studied 4 texts so it's not a problem if I can't come up for ideas for this particular question for this particular text. But I was wondering is there aaanything you could squeeze out for it? I was thinking perhaps something along the lines of, the extraordinary happening in an ordinary setting of his study and the supernatural entertwined with the ordinary (i.e. magic happening in an ordinary setting)
Reply 198
Jess1907

I'm just planning through some more essays and I was thinking about a setting question and I was wondering is there anything really you could write on "Doctor Faustus"? I mean I know it's not the obvious choice and doesn't really lend itself to that aspect, and also I've studied 4 texts so it's not a problem if I can't come up for ideas for this particular question for this particular text. But I was wondering is there aaanything you could squeeze out for it? I was thinking perhaps something along the lines of, the extraordinary happening in an ordinary setting of his study and the supernatural entertwined with the ordinary (i.e. magic happening in an ordinary setting)

I tried the settings question for the Jan 2010 for Faustus. The question was related to Gothic settings being desolate, alienating and full of menace. I talked about how the setting has been intepreted, particularly by directors of the play, and how the gothic elements could be used in the setting. For example, in scene 1 in Faustus' study, you could use candles and darkness to show Faustus' ignorance towards Aristotle's works.
Jess1907

I've been wondering this too - There are a few things, for example the thunder and lightening during Faustus' final speech, and the speech itself includes a lot of imagery to do with the weather, eg. "see where Christ's blood streams in the firmament!", and he talks about foggy mist, stars, the fact that it's almost midnight and so dark, "adders and serpents" and "ugly hell".

There's also a small bit earlier on at the start of Scene 3 when Faustus is conjuring, he talks about the "gloomy shadow of the earth", "Orion's drizzling look", "dims the welkin with her pitchy breath".

I think this is pretty sketchy though and i'm not sure wether it'd even count or wether you could make a decent answer out of it, but I've made note of it to keep it as back up if you like, in case settings does come up. I know you weren't asking me, but just thought i'd add my bit in there, possibly not what you were getting at. :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending