The Student Room Group

Employee Volunteering

I just wondered if anyone who give me any advice. I volunteer at a Guide unit, I am also at uni, and I work at the weekend. I work at a public library, which is part of the county council.

I am working on my camp warrent to enable me to take the Guides away on camps, but these will be at weekends. I dont get much leave from work - someone told me about EMPLOYEE VOLUNTERRING. Basically it sounds like your employer helps you out with your volunteer work, maybe extra leave sometimes, or letting you use the photocopier at work for free, just things like that.

I have mentioned it to my line manager, and she doesnt have a clue! So I was just wondering if anyone here had heard of it, and if they had, did they know anymore about it? If I could just get one extra days leave it would be a huge help! But I probably need some more information before I can persuade my line manager that I'm not just making it up!
Reply 1
yeah ive heard of it too (i run a rainbow unit), the problem is i don't think all companies participate in the scheme, especially as you only work there part time, but if your work wants to help you and join the scheme then here is the website:

http://www.employeevolunteering.org.uk/
:smile:

you maybe able to ask your line manager for free photocopying (or maybe a discount?) and the odd extra day off to take the Guides away, but if not, can you try and change your hours for that weekend to sometime during the week?(especially if it is when you have broken up for uni!)

if it doesn't work out then change shifts with someone else for that weekend...and as for the photocopying, ask someone in your District to see if they know a place that does discounts for Guide groups

Latest

Trending

Trending