The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3980
Original post by Bail
Opinions on this jacket:
http://www.shop-steady.com/Drive-Mens-Stealth-Replica-Racer-Jacket-p/driveb01.htm

Love the movie and they're going to stop making these jackets at the end of this year but could it be pulled off for casual wear or would it just look strange?

Scorpions's fan?
Reply 3981
Original post by The Stig
Yeah I decided against 212 NYC - it was a bit too sweet for my liking. Definitely a scent for clubbing etc. The original 212 in the cylindrical shape bottle is great.

I was after a perfume for the Christmas season and going from reviews (basenotes etc) Burberry London appears to be a brilliant one so I ordered it without having tried it first (none of the usual shops seem to stock it). The only other perfume I want to buy this year is Prada Luna Rossa. All the others I want (Chanel Allure Sport, D&G Light Blue, Versace) are summer scents so I'll pick those up nearer to the time.

On the topic of perfumes has anyone tried Burberry Brit? That seems to be another with awesome reviews but again none of the usual shops seem to stock it. It's funny how none of the shops stock the two most popular and best selling Burberry perfumes but have Weekend and Sport.

Is the Luna Rossa the one with the epic advert?

Oh yes Chanel is great, I prefer the Allure over Allure Sport but both smell good.
I've heard good things about Burberry Brit, I remember about 7 or 8 years back it was quite a popular scent but then the 'hype' went away which is a good thing in my books. I like the smell of it too or maybe it was the London one I liked, can't remember :smile:

Have a look at this article
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/sep/30/best-mens-fragrances-review-beauty
Though not tailored towards winter-autumnal scents, its still a good read imo
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Luxray
Is the Luna Rossa the one with the epic advert?

Oh yes Chanel is great, I prefer the Allure over Allure Sport but both smell good.
I've heard good things about Burberry Brit, I remember about 7 or 8 years back it was quite a popular scent but then the 'hype' went away which is a good thing in my books. I like the smell of it too or maybe it was the London one I liked, can't remember :smile:

Have a look at this article
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/sep/30/best-mens-fragrances-review-beauty
Though not tailored towards winter-autumnal scents, its still a good read imo

paddy commented on the advert too, but I'm yet to see it on TV. I'm going to check youtube :tongue:

Allure is fantastic. I've been through a few bottles over the years. I've often played it safe with perfumes; simply just re-purchasing ones I've had before. Now I've decided to try lots of new ones.

Thanks for the link, looks like a good read :smile:
Reply 3983
For this winter I bought the Untitled by Maison Martin Margiela really special like no other, I really love it. But for this spring I will buy the l'Homme Libre by YSL which will join my Gucci Sport pour Homme. :smile:
Original post by Tom_Sg
For this winter I bought the Untitled by Maison Martin Margiela really special like no other, I really love it. But for this spring I will buy the l'Homme Libre by YSL which will join my Gucci Sport pour Homme. :smile:

I have Libre and funnily enough it was my choice of scent for today :smile:. I received it as a gift last year and initially decided it was too potent and sweet for everyday use and did not really use it. However I decided to give it a proper go recently and how wrong was I! The top notes are quite sweet and strong but it very quickly settles down in to a lovely fresh smell. I'm definitely going to start using it a lot more as a daily scent.
Reply 3985
Original post by The Stig
I have Libre and funnily enough it was my choice of scent for today :smile:. I received it as a gift last year and initially decided it was too potent and sweet for everyday use and did not really use it. However I decided to give it a proper go recently and how wrong was I! The top notes are quite sweet and strong but it very quickly settles down in to a lovely fresh smell. I'm definitely going to start using it a lot more as a daily scent.

Such a good choice, I really love it - I wear my fragrance mostly everyday it's like something that I need to feel good I just love the smell. So the Gucci is my daily smell but for some special event I prefer the Margiela or the Libre for the Spring/Summer. I bought the Think Different by Hugo Boss (ft Jared Leto) and now I can't wear anymore I don't stand the smell :rolleyes: (maybe because it reminds me some bad time ....)

But yes go for it the Libre is really good for a daily use ! :smile:
Givenchy Play is a good evening fragrance...you know for those intimate encounters or casual dates etc. Not for the club though.
Reply 3987
Gonna have to take a look at some of these fragrances! See if I can persuade my mum to get me one for Xmas haha.

I currently wear Bvlgari Men. It's quite woody & apt for winter. Occasionally I'll wear this one I got as a gift from Taylor's of Bond Street but it's quite heavy.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3988
Considering getting a new bag :holmes:

Deciding between a bag from the Cambridge Satchel Company:

and one from the H&M Maison Martin Margiela collection:

&set=key[rotate],value[]&set=key[width],value[]&set=key[height],value[]&set=key[x],value[]&set=key[y],value[]&set=key[type],value[STILL_LIFE_FRONT]&call=url[file:/product/quicklook/large]
Reply 3989
Original post by paddy

&set=key[rotate],value[]&set=key[width],value[]&set=key[height],value[]&set=key[x],value[]&set=key[y],value[]&set=key[type],value[STILL_LIFE_FRONT]&call=url[file:/product/quicklook/large]

Second one is really nice

I'd have thought that bright red would look kind of strange on a guy?

Reply 3990
Original post by paddy

Also prefer the second one! It looks nicer and had has a strap/holdall things whereas the other only has a strap. Plus the CSC isn't very roomy - my friend has one - haven't seen the other in person so I can't compare.

Reply 3991
Original post by YMLT
Second one is really nice

I'd have thought that bright red would look kind of strange on a guy?

Like any colour it depends how you wear it, but I've seen it IRL and it's not quite as vivid as the pictures make out.

The second would be a lot easier to wear though :holmes:

Original post by Peachz
Also prefer the second one! It looks nicer and had has a strap/holdall things whereas the other only has a strap. Plus the CSC isn't very roomy - my friend has one - haven't seen the other in person so I can't compare.

Well the thing is I've always wanted a satchel, and the CSC bags are ideal both in terms of design and price, but the colours aren't 100% what I'm after; the red could do with being a shade darker and the brown is a bit too blah. Size-wise it's perfect, I'm looking more for an everyday bag than a book bag.

There's also a dark brown version with tan detailing that's nice, but it's more expensive. WHY IS LIFE SO HARD :emo:
Reply 3992
Why don't you try to have look at Filson? :smile:
Reply 3993
Original post by Tom_Sg
Why don't you try to have look at Filson? :smile:

I'm looking for something a little more unusual I guess. I do like Filson, but I already have this:

It's a great every day bag, but I'm really looking to get something a bit sleeker, preferably in leather.

This is the other bag I was talking about:

It's nice, and it's available from ASOS for which I have a 15% discount code (SHOPSTYLEASOS15), but I'm unsure.

I think I might go for the H&M Maison Martin Margiela bag. I like it because it's different (you can wear it upside down lol) and the colour is really nice (a reddish brown), plus it looks to be the perfect size (roomy but not bulky). Plus I can always return it if I decide against it.

I'll think about it a bit longer and see how I feel :pierre:

EDIT: Just now got a 20% off discount code for Reiss. WHAT IS THIS BLACK MAGICK
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3994
Original post by paddy
I'm looking for something a little more unusual I guess. I do like Filson, but I already have this:

It's a great every day bag, but I'm really looking to get something a bit sleeker, preferably in leather.

This is the other bag I was talking about:

It's nice, and it's available from ASOS for which I have a 15% discount code (SHOPSTYLEASOS15), but I'm unsure.

I think I might go for the H&M Maison Martin Margiela bag. I like it because it's different (you can wear it upside down lol) and the colour is really nice (a reddish brown), plus it looks to be the perfect size (roomy but not bulky). Plus I can always return it if I decide against it.

I'll think about it a bit longer and see how I feel :pierre:

EDIT: Just now got a 20% off discount code for Reiss. WHAT IS THIS BLACK MAGICK
The problem with H&M is the quality can either be good or bad. And frankly I don't think their bags and shoes look like they are good quality then again maybe the collab has a higher quality of goods.
Reply 3995
Original post by Luxray
The problem with H&M is the quality can either be good or bad. And frankly I don't think their bags and shoes look like they are good quality then again maybe the collab has a higher quality of goods.

Eugh I know, it's why I never shop there tbh.

I think I'll go for the dark brown/light brown satchel, it's cheaper which means I can go spend extra money on Reiss pocket squares today.

Now I have tonnes of blazers (or sport coats :colonhash:) I'm super into pocket squares. Because why the **** not :dontknow:
Pea coat + suit = acceptable for smart (outdoor) setting?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Pea coat + suit = acceptable for smart (outdoor) setting?

Yep, pretty much what I wear to work every day.
Original post by Tokyoround
Yep, pretty much what I wear to work every day.

Good, thought so but wanted to check. Thanks.
Reply 3999
Original post by Bail
Opinions on this jacket:
http://www.shop-steady.com/Drive-Mens-Stealth-Replica-Racer-Jacket-p/driveb01.htm

Love the movie and they're going to stop making these jackets at the end of this year but could it be pulled off for casual wear or would it just look strange?

You will look terrible. It only works in that movie and on Ryan Gosling. It's like when I used to like what Neo wore in The Matrix movies. In reality if I saw someone wearing his coat I'd think they look like a ****er.

Here's a nice collage of people who ended up buying the Drive jacket.

http://memerial.net/4070-random-dudes-wearing-drive-scorpion-jacket

Don't do it.

Latest