The Student Room Group

The Jubilee, The Brainwashing, The Monarchy - Time to Wake up

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slothwise
Yes. Look at the date when was he last in Afghanistan oh yeah that was in 2008 so how is it in anyway relevant to why he was brought back?? Bit over-enthusiastic about a typo, Jesus mate calm down. I love how you didn't bother to actually respond with a coherent argument.

"Look at the date when was he last in Afghanistan oh yeah that was in 2008 so how is it in anyway relevant to why he was brought back??"

Who said it was relevent to why he was brought back? You're embarrassing yourself now with strawmen lol.
Reply 581
Original post by kingsholmmad
Attachment not found

No, I can't provide evidence for something that hasn't happened yet. Nor, as it happens, can I provide an example of a country that is more successful than Britain as a direct result of replacing a monarch with a directly-elected president. Perhaps you can help me there?

That's ridiculous... it doesn't take a genius to work out that the success of a country isn't based solely on whether the country has a president or a monarch. It's multi-causal.

Anyway, you and many have ignored many of my points and chosen only a select few to respond to. Read through my last posts if your curious...
Reply 582
Original post by 122025278
"Look at the date when was he last in Afghanistan oh yeah that was in 2008 so how is it in anyway relevant to why he was brought back??"

Who said it was relevent to why he was brought back? You're embarrassing yourself now with strawmen lol.

Because that was what you were complaining about before: you were complaining about him not having a combat role and being brought back for his own safety. He didn't have a front line role in Afghanistan because a Foward Air Controller is not a combat role. So why does a qualification gained in 2011 have anything to do what he was doing in 2008? You have to focus one detail because you know you are wrong about the rest.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tj hughes
That's ridiculous... it doesn't take a genius to work out that the success of a country isn't based solely on whether the country has a president or a monarch. It's multi-causal.

Certainly it's multi-causal, I wouldn't dispute that. I was merely looking for assistance in tracking down a country where replacement of a monarch with a president had been one of the causes of that country's success. Surely there must be at least one otherwise there really wouldn't be any sense in our going through the expense and trauma of instituting a presidency. Would there?
Because that was what you were complaining about before: you were complaining about him not having a combat role and being brought back for his own safety. He didn't have a front line role in Afghanistan because a Foward Air Controller is not a combat role. So why does a qualification gained in 2011 have anything to do what he was doing in 2008? You have to focus one detail because you know you are wrong about the rest.

You're making the claim that the the qualification gained in 2011 has something to do with what he was doing in 2008, I'm not. So I'm interested to know, why does it?

All I did was bring up the fact that he's now an Apache pilot.
Reply 585
You're making the claim that the the qualification gained in 2011 has something to do with what he was doing in 2008, I'm not. So I'm interested to know, why does it?

All I did was bring up the fact that he's now an Apache pilot.

Mate I'm not gonna waste any more of my time you troll. Why mention it all then if your not going to expound upon it?

They do plenty of honest work (the Queen especially). Perhaps you would care to provide some accurate figures on precisely how much money they get and, while you're at it, balance that against figures on precisely how much they generate.

Accurate figures on the amount of money they get are impossible because the information is subject to such extreme secrecy (Which certainly doesn't help persuade people they are paid fairly). According to this site (http://www.republic.org.uk/What%20we%20want/In%20depth/Royal%20finances/index.php) finances are cited to be £38m annually but are estimated to be closer to £200m. I don't know which of the two figures are more true but both are excessive. According to the same website the only estate owned by the royal family which is in the top 20 tourist attractions is Windsor Castle. However, I do not know where that data is derived from. Plus, the website does have an obvious bias.

Long story short, I don't know exact figures; no-one really does for their expenditure as it's kept secret. The tourist revenue generated by them is a little more quantifiable but is supposed to only account for 1% of the total British tourist revenue. Out of interest, does anyone have the citeable sources for this?
Mate I'm not gonna waste any more of my time you troll. Why mention it all then if your not going to expound upon it?

Hahaha so very sad. So you made the ridiculous implication that me brining up him being an Apache pilot has something to with what happened in 2008. Guess what, it doesn't! Hey, he's now an Apache pilot, no, that doesn't mean I think he is going to work for the Taliban. No, that doesn't mean I think he should become a kamikaze.

If you actually look at what I've said, I've talked about how they should/are being treated by the military, present and future tense. I think that's why him flying an Apache is relevant dude lol. Oh but wait, he isn't an Apache pilot is he.
Original post by Alofleicester
hmm...

Democracy is a system of government through the population, using elected representatives, no? And a monarchy is a form of government headed by a hereditary figure?

No way there's any confliction there, ey?

Certainly there's a conflict, just one of many in our system. It is not one, however, that inhibits the rule of law or government so I don't see it as a major issue.

Probably, but not definitely, and the whole point is that any child could grow up aspiring to be head of state, rather than seeing it confined to one family.

Should the head of state, as the supreme authority in a political system, not do anything political then? :s-smilie:

The royal family is the most elitist institution going, and an alternative presidential system, even with a few flaws, get's closer to the ideal of equality than the royalty will ever do.

What you're saying is that you actively want to go through the expense and inconvenience of installing someone probably from the political and social elite into a highly privileged position because you think it gets us closer to an ideal. It doesn't achieve that ideal. It doesn't prove that that ideal is beneficial to anyone. It doesn't, in practice, increase opportunities for any but an elite few. Why would you do that?
I'm not massively for or against the royal family, but since they have no direct powers in how the country is governed, I don't see the real issue with them. The presence of the history and heritage that goes along with them arguably provides a huge economic boost to the UK - the amount of money generated by tourism related in soe way to the monarchy, and the number of jobs generated as a result, is higher than the cost to the taxpayer.
Hahaha so very sad. So you made the ridiculous implication that me brining up him being an Apache pilot has something to with what happened in 2008. Guess what, it doesn't! Hey, he's now an Apache pilot, no, that doesn't mean I think he is going to work for the Taliban. No, that doesn't mean I think he should become a kamikaze.

If you actually look at what I've said, I've talked about how they should/are being treated by the military, present and future tense. I think that's why him flying an Apache is relevant dude lol. Oh but wait, he isn't an Apache pilot is he.

Fine. you agree that being an Apache pilot is irrelevant to this. What you haven't explained is why you think that re-deploying soldiers to protect their comrades is a bad thing.
Fine. you agree that being an Apache pilot is irrelevant to this. What you haven't explained is why you think that re-deploying soldiers to protect their comrades is a bad thing.

I shouldn't have to explain it because I didn't assert it. Why do you think making paedophiles sign the sex offenders register is a bad thing?
I shouldn't have to explain it because I didn't assert it. Why do you think making paedophiles sign the sex offenders register is a bad thing?

Good, in that case we agree that the royals are a good thing. No problem.
Reply 593
Yes because Stalin was a real success story for human rights and freedom of the people wasn't he. You utter berk.

Stalin? Don't get ahead of yourself, the Bolsheviks came before he did.

A Berk? I have no idea what that it but it sounds like some sorta upper class eton ****e.
"Why does the media infantilise the royals?"

“The Duke of Edinburgh is a naval man so he’ll like all of the boats”

“Prince William is wearing his RAF uniform so he’ll be looking forward to the flypast”

It's like they're talking about toddlers!
Reply 595
Lol why are people hating on the queen her job is to fly around the world promoting the UK

Im sure she has days when she cba like the rest of us

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 596
How can you disrespect the Royal Family especially the Queen?

God Save the Queen, proud to be British if you don't like that then you know where to go! :angry:

Miza you're a commie, why not go to Russia?

People like you are a disgrace and should be ashamed to call or consider yourself British.
Reply 597
Original post by diggy
Lol why are people hating on the queen her job is to fly around the world promoting the UK

Im sure she has days when she cba like the rest of us

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

But, is she the best person to be flying around the world promoting the UK? There might be somebody else out there who would do a better job.
Reply 598
Original post by James82
But, is she the best person to be flying around the world promoting the UK? There might be somebody else out there who would do a better job.

Who?
Reply 599
Original post by Wild Boar
How can you disrespect the Royal Family especially the Queen?

God Save the Queen, proud to be British if you don't like that then you know where to go! :angry:

Miza you're a commie, why not go to Russia?

People like you are a disgrace and should be ashamed to call or consider yourself British.

And you're a believer in the divine right to rule, I don't know what is worse supporting a leader who tells you they are your leader because he is your equal or one who tells you they are your leader because said she was chosen by god.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending